House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Cheque Cash But Not Where It Should Have Been

Friend has a cheque disappear between them and their account. Bank says it's not appeared (and it doesn't show up on his account) but council (council tax refund) says it's been cashed before they got to put a stop on it..

So who sorts it out?

Friend has a cheque disappear between them and their account. Bank says it's not appeared (and it doesn't show up on his account) but council (council tax refund) says it's been cashed before they got to put a stop on it..

So who sorts it out?

The bank...ask the bank for a copy, your friend should have a receipt.......the councils bank should hold the cheque a copy of back and front of cheque, should give an idea of the account it went into.

How did he pay the cheque into his account?

Via the post... Sent in with a paying in form I assume...

It's nationwide where his account is and he sends cheques in to them

Via the post... Sent in with a paying in form I assume...

It's nationwide where his account is and he sends cheques in to them

Given that the post office now hires thieving scum as a matter of policy, it is a wonder to me that anyone sends anything of value by post these days.

I used to sell on e-bay and I gave up sending stuff "signed for" as this just seemed to make the letters targets for being "accidentally slit by a sorting machine."

Given that the post office now hires thieving scum as a matter of policy, it is a wonder to me that anyone sends anything of value by post these days.

Doesn't even have to be of value, a £22 X-box game I ordered from Amazon didn't arrive last week, it's obviously been stolen in transit.

Doesn't even have to be of value, a £22 X-box game I ordered from Amazon didn't arrive last week, it's obviously been stolen in transit.

It really is quite sad. There was a time when my experience of the post was that if you sent something, the intended recipient generally received it, especially when it was signed for. It got to the stage where I was losing one out of every 10.

So who sorts it out?

Bank.

Which bank? He doesn't know where it's been cashed...

It's not got in his account

The council's bank will know where it went. His bank is still liable if he gave it to them to pay into his account.

I used to sell on e-bay and I gave up sending stuff "signed for" as this just seemed to make the letters targets for being "accidentally slit by a sorting machine."

Thick as well as theiving scum if they've nicked it. If they've paid it into their own account then they absolutely will get caught. They may as well have just phoned the cops to tell them what they were about to do.

Thick as well as theiving scum if they've nicked it. If they've paid it into their own account then they absolutely will get caught. They may as well have just phoned the cops to tell them what they were about to do.

Perhaps not. Could they not have palmed it off to one of these cheque cashing companies? e.g. Cash Converters.

Perhaps not. Could they not have palmed it off to one of these cheque cashing companies? e.g. Cash Converters.

Don't quite know how those firms work but I'm sure there will still be a paper trail back to whomever brought it in.

That's what happens IMO.

When she was going doolally my mother had a cheque for £4000 disappear after it had been delivered to the house. Someone had evidently nicked it, God knows who, because she was never one of those old dears who invite anyone random in for a cup of tea.

By the time we found out, it had been cashed. After that we activated her Power of Attorney PDQ so she wouldn't have the handling of anything similar again.

Don't quite know how those firms work but I'm sure there will still be a paper trail back to whomever brought it in.

Yes. The company would have been burnt, but the thief will have used fake id.