House Price Crash Forum

Price Per Square Metre

How much where you live?

You've hit on one of my main gripes of UK agents.. they almost never advertise the total m2 of the property.. you have to sit down with a calculator and work it out room by room.

I believe foreign estate agents are much better in this respect..

Gibraltar Apartments are about:

£1500sqm for ex government (25 year residency)

£3000sqm for shared ownership or full ownership in shared ownership blocks (3 year residency)

£5500sqm for private housing stock

£7500sqm for premium (marina penthouses) housing stock.

Houses start at £6000 sqm up to £20,000 sqm as there is very restricted land.

If it's that much in Gibraltar why not just move to Spain? They are having a property crash

Where I live (Geneva), for houses it's 10k GBP per square metre, that's an average, the expensive areas are much more. Apartments 9k per m2.

This seems excessive and even with 10-year fixes at 3% interest available buying is out of the question.

How much where you live?

About the same here in Woollahra, Sydney. Fixer uppers at GBP7k.

You've hit on one of my main gripes of UK agents.. they almost never advertise the total m2 of the property.. you have to sit down with a calculator and work it out room by room.

Mine too!

I believe foreign estate agents are much better in this respect..

They are. It is always on a headline or sub-headline, along with price, and No of bedrooms and baths. Typical example: http://www.homes.com/Real_Estate/CO/City/DENVER/

And that happens in all countries I am familiar with. Only here this info is so hard to get to. Bizarrely. And infuriatingly. :angry:

Blame most buyers actually, for not asking, requesting, complaining! :(

Edited by Tired of Waiting

How many houses/flats are for sale in Geneva at the moment? Not many I would imagine. They are just in the stage of building some flats on the Petit Lancy/Pont Thingy cross roads, one of the busiest and most polluted road junctions in Geneve and all are sold off plan.

385 hits on homegate, some will be duplicates.

prices start at 550k GBP for what is in essence a building site (ie a plot with a wreck on it)

It's be easier to work out if:

- we knew how big houses were here (sq m is not part of the details in 99% of instances)

- the question were given some structure, such as "the cheapest ... in your area" or "the 23rd house in your postcode area"

The very very cheapest 1-bed flat in RM in my postcode area right now works out at £4,000/sq m.

The very very cheapest 3-bed house in RM in my postcode area right now works out at £2,100/sq m.

It's be easier to work out if:

- we knew how big houses were here (sq m is not part of the details in 99% of instances)

sqm was in the HIPs which was rather handy (EPC section), I just used to request one and look it up before bothering to view. The EPC may still be mandatory so may be worth asking for it when interested.

I've just bought a small place with big plot at £2500/sqm but am extending the house and converting an outbuilding to get it get down to £1800sqm of usable living space.

(South Cambs village, worst houses are £2000/sqm, best houses go for £3000/sqm, most stuff in the middle).

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/real-estate-house-prices/F

interesting comparative data on this site (if accurate, looks prettty comprehensive)

eg

Argentina 1300 USD/m2 (about 800 GBP)

France av 2450 Euro / m2 (about 2000 GBP)

Japan Tokyo 400,000 Y /m2 (about 3000 GBP)

Switzerland Zurich Apartments 3500 GBP/m2 Geneva Apartments 7000 GBP/m2

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/real-estate-house-prices/F

interesting comparative data on this site (if accurate, looks prettty comprehensive)

eg

Argentina 1300 USD/m2 (about 800 GBP)

France av 2450 Euro / m2 (about 2000 GBP)

Japan Tokyo 400,000 Y /m2 (about 3000 GBP)

Switzerland Zurich Apartments 3500 GBP/m2 Geneva Apartments 7000 GBP/m2

" United-Kingdom Price (sq.m): €17,300 " http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/United-Kingdom

There is something wrong there. That is not the UK average price/sq.m.

It must be only "prime" properties, probably central London.

Actually the whole site may be dealing with prime properties only - perhaps catering for multinational "executives"?

We are buying a 2BR flat in Southfields SW19 for £400sqft (£4333 sq mt) - that's very cheap compared to just about anywhere else with a SW or W postcode that isn't an ex-council drug den.

Edited by Van

We are buying a 2BR flat in Southfields SW19 for £400sqft (£4333 sq mt) - that's very cheap compared to just about anywhere else with a SW or W postcode.

I think you would save some 10% if you buy after the summer. Can't you wait a little? You don't have anything to lose, as prices will not go up.

I think you would save some 10% if you buy after the summer. Can't you wait a little? You don't have anything to lose, as prices will not go up.

We could wait but to be honest house we can easily afford this place (borrowing x2 our joint salary) and it already is cheap (I reckon we have negotiated a price less than x200 it's potential monthly rental income), and mortgages will be more expensive this summer. Hopefully when we complete our mortgage interest payments would be 30% less than we currently pay in rent.

Edited by Van