House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Selling Gold In Watford

Interesting piece on the BBC 1pm news about the number of empty shops in Watford.

Local jeweller (Trading 150 years in the town) says he's keeping going on the sheer number of people coming in to sell gold. Small profit for him, but keeps cash flow going.

How long can this source of income last?

Interesting piece on the BBC 1pm news about the number of empty shops in Watford.

Local jeweller (Trading 150 years in the town) says he's keeping going on the sheer number of people coming in to sell gold. Small profit for him, but keeps cash flow going.

How long can this source of income last?

A while yet.

My local free rag carries a half page buy your gold ad every week, the past couple of weeks the company have been running a buy your silver ad...

I couldn't see this on iplayer but I live in Watford and can confirm that quite a few shops have closed in the recent past - there are also clusters of 3 or 4 closed shops right near each other which I think adds to the effect.

As long as John Lewis stays open in Watford.......we will survive!!

The shops outside the main shopping centre have been in decline for many years.

The centre of gravity of the town centre was changed by the shopping centre, whilst the recession might have speeded things up, there was always too much retail space after the Harlequin was opened.

However, better for Watford to have a large indoor shopping centre which still attracts people from beyond the local area, rather than losing the business to other towns and shopping venues such as Brent Cross.