House Price Crash Forum
ccc

Adverts For New Builds In Newspapers

Was scanning through a Scottish Sun on the bus. 2 adverts for new builds.

(1) Only had price per week in big numbers. Then some tiny small print at the bottom with shared equity price, and details of mortgages, when equity had to be paid back etc.. Full price not even mentioned.

(2) Didn't even have any price at all ?! Just details of the places and a contact number.

Gradual slide from.

(1) Full price stated

(2) Shared equity price stated

(3) Per week/month price stated (With shared equity details in tiny small print)

(4) Don't even bother mentioning any price at all.

Mental. The only other place I know where prices are not noted for things for sale ? Those sort of high end Watch shops or designer jewellery shops where if you have to ask the price then it is too expensive for you. I don't exactly think new build 2 bed flats in Glasgow come into the same category. Or actually - maybe they do and that is the point.

Was scanning through a Scottish Sun on the bus. 2 adverts for new builds.

(1) Only had price per week in big numbers. Then some tiny small print at the bottom with shared equity price, and details of mortgages, when equity had to be paid back etc.. Full price not even mentioned.

(2) Didn't even have any price at all ?! Just details of the places and a contact number.

Gradual slide from.

(1) Full price stated

(2) Shared equity price stated

(3) Per week/month price stated (With shared equity details in tiny small print)

(4) Don't even bother mentioning any price at all.

Mental. The only other place I know where prices are not noted for things for sale ? Those sort of high end Watch shops or designer jewellery shops where if you have to ask the price then it is too expensive for you. I don't exactly think new build 2 bed flats in Glasgow come into the same category. Or actually - maybe they do and that is the point.

if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Exactly - but this is very different from the usual form of that. These housebuilders don't want people saying they cannot afford what they are selling. Whereas the other places I mentioned could not give a toss.

Dunno. Some time ago in Wigan I noticed a very special shop selling sofas and large flat screen TVs and other bits of home goods. Big displays of the weekly price, and APR I think (probably a law making it mandatory). Small print showed the "Buy it for cash" price vs. the "Buy it in weekly installments over years" price. One price was nearly double the other. Shop had plenty of punters in it.

Basically who cares what the end cost is, what the debt is, just give it to me now, I want it now (but cannot afford it really) !

There were probably maniacal schemes like this to buy tulip bulbs in the past.

Dunno. Some time ago in Wigan I noticed a very special shop selling sofas and large flat screen TVs and other bits of home goods. Big displays of the weekly price, and APR I think (probably a law making it mandatory). Small print showed the "Buy it for cash" price vs. the "Buy it in weekly installments over years" price. One price was nearly double the other. Shop had plenty of punters in it.

Basically who cares what the end cost is, what the debt is, just give it to me now, I want it now (but cannot afford it really) !

What could go wrong when we have this man in charge?

tuliphead.jpg

post-15752-0-10289500-1298036484_thumb.jpg

But that was hte case 5 years ago. And new builds were happily advertised with full prices in big bold letters.

However now they have removed them. I think the reason is this - many more people today are actually thinking about how much a house costs to buy - rather than just how much it costs per month. Not all by any means - but certainly more than before.

But that was hte case 5 years ago. And new builds were happily advertised with full prices in big bold letters.

However now they have removed them. I think the reason is this - many more people today are actually thinking about how much a house costs to buy - rather than just how much it costs per month. Not all by any means - but certainly more than before.

Maybe they still are just as stupid and still just want to buy buy buy. Only they actually cannot afford / secure the loan required. So the % shared equity goes down and down, you get stupid schemes like house-builder loans etc etc.

It is going tits up, problem is that real estate moves so bloody slowly (and this government is hell bent on keeping nominal prices up) you and I and the punter on the street will see the price tag remain fairly static.

5 years ago no one offered 25% shared equity, now its common place. just wait, you'll see an ad for "Buy a house today! £2k deposit only for a 1% shared equity! You'll pay rent on the other 99%! Happy days! Eat my estate agent spiked hair gel!"