House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

The Food Bubble: How Wall Street Starved Millions And Got Away With It

Does not surprise me at all, these people only care about themselves and have no sympathy for the poor sods they push over the edge.

I’ve met a few of these massively over paid amoral, narcissists and the thought that their manipulation has pushed people into starvation would not faze them at all.

I'm sure they will also have made bets on military hardware sales as well, so when regimes move to quell a popular up rising because of the price of food the bankers can profit again.

Still as long as they make a few billion out of people starving and get a share of the bonus pool it's just happy days. After all it won't be their children starving.

Does not surprise me at all, these people only care about themselves and have no sympathy for the poor sods they push over the edge.

I’ve met a few of these massively over paid amoral, narcissists and the thought that their manipulation has pushed people into starvation would not faze them at all.

There was a thread a while ago posing the question as to whether central bankers will ultimately be responsible for more deaths than any dictator in history because of the impact of their currency debasement on food prices. Personally, I would have added fiscal authorities to the question.

Hedge funds and wealthy households are only doing exactly what fiscal and monetary authorities have implicitly told them to do : "Buy things not promises".

It is central banks and governments that are the ultimate amoral narcissists.

Good table in this one - impact of 50% yoy inflation on food expenditure by country.

http://freedomofoceania.blogspot.com/2011/01/inflation-impact-to-world-economies.html

Inflation impact to world economies

I've been thinking heavily about the prospects for US dollar hyperinflation or stagflation and the resulting impact it would have on the world. Many would say that QE by the fed has contributed to the rise in agricultural commodity prices (food and fuel inflation), while others claim it is merely a supply and demand issue in the face of rising world population. The author feels it is fair to say that both statements are correct. With that in mind, I have developed a rough thought experiment for a linear and geometric increase of commodity prices and potential geopolitical impact.

Pony much to slow. He is talking about the 2008 food bubble. Wheat and several food based commodities are all bubbling at levels above the 2008 level as we speak.

This has been a major factor in the riots in the ME.

There was a thread a while ago posing the question as to whether central bankers will ultimately be responsible for more deaths than any dictator in history because of the impact of their currency debasement on food prices. Personally, I would have added fiscal authorities to the question.

Hedge funds and wealthy households are only doing exactly what fiscal and monetary authorities have implicitly told them to do : "Buy things not promises".

It is central banks and governments that are the ultimate amoral narcissists.

ZIRP / QE is an utterly reckless gamble. Based on past performance and their ability to notice the downsides of their actions - like utterly destroying the infrastructure and industrial base of their own countries I;d say the chances are that this current policy will lead to almost unbelievable instability and strife on a global scale.

ZIRP / QE is an utterly reckless gamble. Based on past performance and their ability to notice the downsides of their actions - like utterly destroying the infrastructure and industrial base of their own countries I;d say the chances are that this current policy will lead to almost unbelievable instability and strife on a global scale.

I quite agree. Isn't it horribly ironic that the only people who will be safe from the mayhem will be those who caused it. There is always a safe haven for the rich.

I quite agree. Isn't it horribly ironic that the only people who will be safe from the mayhem will be those who caused it. There is always a safe haven for the rich.

Until they break it completely.

I am very old fashioned. I believe that there is always a price to be paid for mistakes that have been made.

QE / ZIRP / stimulus is an attempt to avoid paying a price for previous mistakes. My belief is that they just compound the mistakes and that an even larger price will eventually have to be paid.

Do you think that the rich caused the problems? I think that the people who caused the problems are those who thought that they had found an easy way to become rich. I do not think that these two groups are the same people. I think that the former will become richer while the latter will be crushed.

Do you think that the rich caused the problems? I think that the people who caused the problems are those who thought that they had found an easy way to become rich. I do not think that these two groups are the same people. I think that the former will become richer while the latter will be crushed.

Who do you think investment bankers work for? Put it another way, whose money are they investing?