House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Topher Bear

Can't Take It Anymore

I can't take moving again. I can't take anymore paying for someone elses mortgage. But I cannot afford to do anything else. I'm trapped in a system not of my making, one I never wanted to get into. I really can't gather the strength to keep on. I have completely failed my family. I cannot give them the settled life they deserve.

This website has failed. I would have been better off going for a liar loan. At least we would have been settled and not treated like the scum of the earth, and the government would have looked after me.

I think this will be my last post here.

I can't take moving again. I can't take anymore paying for someone elses mortgage. But I cannot afford to do anything else. I'm trapped in a system not of my making, one I never wanted to get into. I really can't gather the strength to keep on. I have completely failed my family. I cannot give them the settled life they deserve.

This website has failed. I would have been better off going for a liar loan. At least we would have been settled and not treated like the scum of the earth, and the government would have looked after me.

You seem to be blaming this web site and yourself for a greed-driven property market. If you are stuck renting you can at least take cofort from knowing that interest rates are at historic lows yet the market has fallen and is still falling, albeit slowly with many property 'owners' on the brink of bankruptcy.

:(

There have been many vocal people on here calling it way too early. There were many reasons why prices should have fallen, but nothing to actually make them do that.

There is one thing that will make house prices fall and that is an inability to pay the mortgage (or to take out one in the first place).

The biggest impacts on this are:

Loss of income to pay the mortgage - unemployment rising, goods inflation combined with wage stagnation

More expensive mortgage - higher interest rates (on non-BoE linked loans, can't see BoE having more than a token rise so anybody on trackers linked to this is very lucky indeed)

These are all now happening and the mood of the media as regards house prices has changed accordingly.

:(

There have been many vocal people on here calling it way too early. There were many reasons why prices should have fallen, but nothing to actually make them do that.

What?

The whole economy and money system has been thrown at keeping prices high, the level of manuipulation and stupidity is off the scale. It will have consequences well beyond even those of the debt bubble itself.

Topher - in hindsight yes, maybe a liar loan would have been better. But then again, maybe a loss of income and circumstances would have put you in a much worse position. Eveything has been thrown at sustainaing the unsustainable. Write some really snotty letters, get it off your chest and do whatever you can to keep your income up and your costs down. Take whatever advantages you can from the flexibility you can - school catchment areas is a big one.

You can't blame the website, the insightful and clever economic ' minds' are on here . There is real brilliance to be found. And if I'm honest the really technical stuff I simply don't understand ! I Str'd in 2005 and I'm knackered at the age of 55 from my last move which was last weekend ! I'm buying this year and starting to make silly offers already . I can't take it any more either ! But I'm not blaming this site. This site attracts a certain type of principled type so be glad you didn't buy into the corruption. Good Karma will come of it .

So, are you blaming this website for your position of renting or for the fact you can't afford to buy?

Sell the skoda, its making you depressed. They do that.

I have completely failed my family. I cannot give them the settled life they deserve.

Are your family fit and healthy? Are they essentially happy in themselves? Do they know you love them? All those things matter much more than whether or not you own your own home. You've had a run of bad luck on rented. I feel really sorry for you. But put it in perspective.

banksy-i-hate-mondays.jpg

Good luck!

[iMarkets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solventi]

what many on here have bene saying since the beginning has been right, and is proving to be true.

its been a shock to al how far the madness wentand just bizarre that govts would wish it to continue.

What nonsense - the time you might have felt like that would have been 6/8 months ago, whem house prices were steadily rising, and theHPC news was thin on the ground.

Now - it's hard to find a bullish story, the house price graph has finished its bull run, and we are steadily having MoM falls. The outlook for house prices are bleak (good, I mean) - the threat of interest rates rising is looming, Ireland Greece et al have yet to play out, the public sector is being slashed, unemployment is rising and the warnings are being put out that it is going much higher.

I just don't buy your story.

This website has failed.

We are all responsible for our own decisions.

This website hasn't made you make the decisions you have. You've chosen to take the decisions yourself.

If you want to buy then buy.

actually, its quite common. reminds me of the old phrase ' its always darkest before the dawn'

when youve been waiting so long, and its been so hard, for something to come good. its very easy to give in just near the end.

traders expereince this when they run their bad positions 10 times further than they run their good ones.

always easier to sit and do nothing when your screwed anyway. soon as u see a fighting chance and its coming your way, thats when the jitter kick in. I imaagine the Op is expereincing this, compunded with having to move yet again.

Well I understand that you have to move again but surely that is good news. if your landlord wants to sell up he is panicking and that means the next phase of the market is about to begin.

However Northern Ireland appears to be ahead of the game here so wander offer to that board and see what the UK will look like in 2 years time.

Sometimes I feel like topher bear.

fear is the driver for this situation.

5 years ago, it was fear of missing out....If I dont understand something and why its happening, I stay clear...I look, but I stay clear.

I didnt understand how mortgages were so cheap and available to people who couldnt possibly pay if anything happened to them...and by that, I mean something minor.

People on 20K in 2001 taking 180K mortgages....yes...I saw actual cases at an IFA I worked for.

I also feel sometimes the trap of the rental...although, I have always moved on after a long period of staying....the rent has risen 50% since 1992 when I first started.

I have always lived in "quality" places.....and althought we have a sum that would have bought 3 houses when we first got married, we can buy a pokey flat outright at the mo.....although that is fast changing as local SOLD prices are falling much faster than ASKING prices appear.

The trap at the mo is a poor business environment and yet still having to pay out to stay somewhere....and its galling that a colleague or two have base+.5% mortgages and pay little every month...totally galling.

Galling also is that if I cant pay my way anymore, that I wont get benefits....our savings are too high, yet, my self same colleagues have no worries...no savings and no income means the mortgage paid....for two years at least....although that may change soon.

I have friends in Local Authorities who are under constant threat of sacking...these people have taken no risks in their lives and work in a safe job....but they are stressed and now at least one cant cope with the extra workload....and has been off for stress.

The problem is that if you took the logical, safe, sensible road and thought about consequences, YOU are the one who is bolloxed up if you fail for some reason. if YOU just went ahead and joined the feeding frenzy of debt, you keep your house and you get benefits.

Sometimes I think I should have totally dropped to bottom when my business failed in 1992. However, thinking back, I have done just fine in life, live in better homes than my colleagues via renting, and my kids have had steady homes through careful choice of rental....What hasnt happened is a build up of ponzi equity.

At the end of the day, Ive worked, Ive earned, food is on the table, we as a family travelled quite a bit for holidays, and Ive done many things my homeowner colleagues and friends havent done.

Ok its hard again now...but hey....life is for living and my family has survived it all.

Thank you Great Universe for providing me with a living...that may change...but up to now....what a ride.

Edited by Bloo Loo

One last response to clarify.

When I say the website has failed I mean it has failed to make the country listen. It also looks like we were wrong. Fundementals don't matter anymore.

I can't hang on. I am being kicked out of yet another house. This is no way to live a life.

This website is not what it once was. I am one of the last of the old ones. We came here to share in our misery and know that we weren't the only ones to see a bubble. These old ones seem to have also lost faith in this site. There are many more petty arguments and many more with little or no undertanding of economics vehimently defending a position. So many more sitting on huge pots of money, with little undertanding for those who are not. So many more people who wilfully misundertand posts.

I'm not even sure if I want to continue full stop anymore.

Whoa there, Topher Bear. Don't let the sh*te system get you down. You may not be rich in fiat currency - nor am I - but you have the wealth that really matters, ie family, loved ones and integrity. The real deal can't be bought or gambled.

It might not feel like it today, or generally at the moment, but things WILL get better. Hang on in there.

Excellent. Whenever I'm plagued by your mindset it turns out to have been a most excellent place to be. You end up cutting through the crap and seeing what's important in life.

You'll be fine :)

One of two good replies. So I'll try the other.

Take the long view. Only a privileged few have ever been better off than you. You're not sharing a bed with random strangers whenever there's a bit of crowding, nor sleeping on the floor in the corridor outside your master's chamber. You're not living as a whole family in one room with your facilities an outhouse shared with other families (as was common within living memory). Even if you share a kitchen and bathroom you've presumably got hot&cold running water there, which is more than I had in my youth ...

Well I understand that you have to move again but surely that is good news. if your landlord wants to sell up he is panicking and that means the next phase of the market is about to begin.

Like I had to move because my then-landlady was selling up in 2005?

She timed her exit well. But six years on we're living with the fallout of that bubble.

What nonsense - the time you might have felt like that would have been 6/8 months ago, whem house prices were steadily rising, and theHPC news was thin on the ground.

Now - it's hard to find a bullish story, the house price graph has finished its bull run, and we are steadily having MoM falls. The outlook for house prices are bleak (good, I mean) - the threat of interest rates rising is looming, Ireland Greece et al have yet to play out, the public sector is being slashed, unemployment is rising and the warnings are being put out that it is going much higher.

I just don't buy your story.

. . . or in HPC speak "the promise of interest rates rising is beckoning"

Don't abandon us TB - renting has a lot of advantages. I've been renting a substantial detached house for about 10 years and will buy when the time it right. That time has not yet arrived but is now in sight on the horizon.

One last response to clarify.

When I say the website has failed I mean it has failed to make the country listen. It also looks like we were wrong. Fundementals don't matter anymore.

I can't hang on. I am being kicked out of yet another house. This is no way to live a life.

This website is not what it once was. I am one of the last of the old ones. We came here to share in our misery and know that we weren't the only ones to see a bubble. These old ones seem to have also lost faith in this site. There are many more petty arguments and many more with little or no undertanding of economics vehimently defending a position. So many more sitting on huge pots of money, with little undertanding for those who are not. So many more people who wilfully misundertand posts.

I'm not even sure if I want to continue full stop anymore.

Topher, honestly (as an old time poster and I mean this is in the best possible way) get a grip, there are many things in life that are far more important and far more negative than the barrel of crud that is being served up to you on the housing front. Don't make yourself feel a slave to the system when you don't have to, make the most of what you have with your family, now.

Everything is a bubble now and it will have negative consequences on us all, it is shit, but that is the way it is, for the moment.

I started to give up a couple of months ago and believe we are just now beginning to see the brown shoots appear.

The VIs have fought against paying Brown's lunch bill but the market is beating them. It has been one hell of a long battle to get to where we are now. The Battle of the Bulge is over (Hitlers last push before capitulation) and the allies are about to take Berlin.

But the vital signs for UK Plc are still extremely strong:

1. Highest bond ratings in the world

2. Powerful stock market that rises on bad news and goods news

3. Currency that does 2. above

4. Last man standing in the West regarding house prices still at more than 5X income

5. Low repossession rates compared with our sister bubble in the US

6. Very little unemployment compared with the US and EZ

7. Extremely high rental rates

On the face of it, our bubble and "austerity" have had zero impact on the fundamentals of our economy. We appear to have gotten away with it as the banks are back to normal and the troughers still gorge themselves in our local government offices.

But it is deteriorating and the market will have its day. Might have to wait until the 3rd Q to see the start of pay-=back.

Sorry, but this "paying for someone elses mortgage" nonsense really winds me up.

We all have to pay for a roof over our heads and there are three ways we do it.....

1, Paying rent to a landlord.

2, Paying interest to a Lender.

3, Buying outright for cash and losing the bank interest on the money tied up in the house.