House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Patients Putting Off Treatment, Warn Dentists

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/patients-putting-off-treatment-warn-dentists-2217630.html

People may be putting off getting dental treatment due to financial worries, a survey has suggested.

Almost seven out of 10 (68%) dentists said their patients were deferring treatment and 59% reported cancelled appointments.

The poll of 251 dentists in England, for the British Dental Association (BDA), found the knock-on effect could be a rise in the numbers needing emergency treatment.

More than a third of practitioners questioned in October and November said they had seen increased demand for emergency treatment over the previous 12 months.

Susie Sanderson, chairman of the BDA's executive board, said: "It's understandable that, at a time when there is widespread concern about household finances, some patients' financial anxieties are leading them to defer dental appointments and treatment.

"Achieving short-term money savings at the expense of longer-term health problems really isn't wise though.

"Neglecting your oral health can increase both the complexity of the problems you face and the cost of the treatment you must eventually have.

So why don't dentists offer sale prices? :rolleyes:

The way the charges are set up, is a joke.

First off, if you are NHS, unemployed, a pensioner or anyone else likely not to pay the full whack, a dentist can't get you out of the room fast enough.

Oh, and spend £100 an hour at our Whitening Salon before you dare to come back.

It isn't punters who put off treatment.

Anecdotal perhaps, but most people I know who want affordable dentistry and good treatment go to Eastern Europe. Tip. Belarus is great.

With all the Unavailable GPs and RipOff Dentists in the UK, I suggest Health Tourism could become Britain's biggest growth industry,

I get NHS dental treatment. Brilliant, and at bargain basement prices. Had all my 20 year old fillings replaced for about £200.

Really can't understand how the system can be paid for - expect it to collapse.

Best advice: don't rinse after you brush, because the fluoride needs time to work, and do floss.

No NHS dentists here - I've kept my Portsmouth one since relocating. And it is worth travelling 45 miles to it.

Partner had a filling done here, £160 private.

Mine, on NHS £60.

Not been for 25 years because I never needed anything done. No fillings or other problems.

Clean my teeth (gently) several times, rinsing it each time, then using a more expensive anti-gum disease toothpaste last and spitting rather than rinsing as noted above.

Don't usually eat sweets or chocolate and dislike sweet things in general, drink tea rather than fizzy drinks, and accept I am lucky to have strong teeth.

With the debasement of wages and benefits few people could afford to send their family to the dentist for regular visits let alone major work.

People are struggling to pay rent/mortgage, food, petrol, car insurance to get to work.

Its part of the continuing saga I am following on how nearly everything the average person gets is because the state pays for it.

Not been for 25 years because I never needed anything done. No fillings or other problems.

Clean my teeth (gently) several times, rinsing it each time, then using a more expensive anti-gum disease toothpaste last and spitting rather than rinsing as noted above.

Don't usually eat sweets or chocolate and dislike sweet things in general, drink tea rather than fizzy drinks, and accept I am lucky to have strong teeth.

I've never been to the dentist in my life. Only had toothache once when my wisdom teeth came through but it went after a couple of days. I do eat sweets and drink fizzy drinks although not an excessive amount. Brush once a day (although sometimes forget!) don't floss or use mouthwash.

+1

+ avoid sugar (chocs, sweets, cakes, buscuits, cereals, soft drinks, sharp fruits etc). No sugar, no cavities. An added benefit is you hardly ever get colds any more.

40s - "If you didn't eat sugar I'd be out of a job":

I heard on QI once that crisps are worse for your teeth than sugary drinks or sweets.

I've never been to the dentist in my life. Only had toothache once when my wisdom teeth came through but it went after a couple of days. I do eat sweets and drink fizzy drinks although not an excessive amount. Brush once a day (although sometimes forget!) don't floss or use mouthwash.

Well done for rejecting the orthodoxy. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Well done for rejecting the orthodoxy. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Wouldn't you want to know if you had gum disease or oral cancer? Dental check-ups are about more than cavities.

On the upside there's no VAT on it!

When the Indie says "59% report cancelled appointments" how does this compare to the normal rate? If it's anything like the doctors, no shows are usually high

No NHS dentists here - I've kept my Portsmouth one since relocating. And it is worth travelling 45 miles to it.

Partner had a filling done here, £160 private.

Mine, on NHS £60.

Agreed. I use my NHS dentist for general treatment and a private dentist for hygenist and cosmetic treatment.

+ avoid sugar (chocs, sweets, cakes, buscuits, cereals, soft drinks, sharp fruits etc). No sugar, no cavities. An added benefit is you hardly ever get colds any more.

Impossible - addicted to it!

First off, if you are NHS, unemployed, a pensioner or anyone else likely not to pay the full whack, a dentist can't get you out of the room fast enough.

Oh, and spend £100 an hour at our Whitening Salon before you dare to come back.

It isn't punters who put off treatment.

Anecdotal perhaps, but most people I know who want affordable dentistry and good treatment go to Eastern Europe. Tip. Belarus is great.

With all the Unavailable GPs and RipOff Dentists in the UK, I suggest Health Tourism could become Britain's biggest growth industry,

Don't do this. Seriously, just don't.

Edited by (Blizzard)

Not anecdotal at all.

Dentists in Poland have never been busier. Worth trying especially if you have a 'big job' to do.

Not anecdotal at all.

Dentists in Poland have never been busier. Worth trying especially if you have a 'big job' to do.

And why are they cheaper, which corners are they cutting, if it's hygiene, you might come back with more than you bargained for.

Sorry, but the same warning can be said of some NHS dentists I saw.

I can't speak for every country in Eastern Europe, certainly not Poland, and I'm sure they have some very skilled dentists, but they also have some very skilled conmen.

Is the NHS still around? I thought they closed that a couple of years ago.

Edited by (Blizzard)

Dont trust them, i remember a few years ago i went to one was told i needed 2 fillings, i went to another a few days laters was old i needed 3 fillings on different teeth from the 1st dentist, went to another was told no fillings. just dont trust them once you have fillings you'll most likely endup needing a crown one day. Trying to keep my teeth till the tooth enamel regeration comes out, in a few years, 2014 was the commercial date for the product.

Because the Majority of people now have their teeth done for free when on benifits the tax payers pay, the only ones who are putting it off are working people who cannot afford to pay.

Last visit to the dentist was to have my back tooth filled as it was killing me. The Dentist charged me £170 for a temporary filling which fell out driving home from the Dentist. I drove back and they removed the tooth for just £50 extra.

I can honestly say, it was worth it. However like most people, I dont exactly queue up outside my Dentist looking for problems, I just go when I feel pain.