House Price Crash Forum

The Coalition Strikes Back

Secondly, you think that you have a real choice as to whether or not you pay for useless workers in the private sector. Sadly that is largely untrue. If it were possible to measure how much of your expenditure went on waste I suspect that a greater amount of your hard earned was wasted in the proportion that went to the private sector. Yes, you can choose who to spend your money with and which services you won't use at all but a large chunk of your cash will always be lining someone else's pocket who charged you a fair bit more than was strictly necessary.

it IS possible to measure this and time and time again it shows public sector are less productive than the private sector

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, assuming businesses care about profits. Business need (good) employees to have profits. That is how market economies work, and have done so since the industrial revolution, developing Britain, then the USA and Europe, then Japan, Asian Tigers, now BRIC countries, etc. 2 or 3 centuries of it. Look around. No more Baldricks desperate for turnips.

Sadly a huge number of firms are staffed by people that the bosses of those firms see as expendable drones. There was an ongoing thread here a while back where it was argued that those who just performed menial tasks within a company had no claim to any share of the success their employers had.

it IS possible to measure this and time and time again it shows public sector are less productive than the private sector

Every time this kind of thing has been "measured" the survey has been carried out (like all surveys) by an organisation with an agenda. The agenda has never been to exposed the huge amount of money that the private sector wastes every day. Having said that, I do recall reading about the amount of perfectly edible food that Tesco destroys each and every day. Tesco food may be cheap and it may work better than the Soviet system but waste is waste and it is you and I who pay for that waste.

The one small piece of justice in this world is that wealthy folk actually get less value for money than the rest of us. Luxury goods are a bigger rip off than anything else.

Every time this kind of thing has been "measured" the survey has been carried out (like all surveys) by an organisation with an agenda.

this may be a fair point, in which case the trick would be to see if any of it is peer-reviewed (even then of course it isn't perfect)

The agenda has never been to exposed the huge amount of money that the private sector wastes every day. Having said that, I do recall reading about the amount of perfectly edible food that Tesco destroys each and every day. Tesco food may be cheap and it may work better than the Soviet system but waste is waste and it is you and I who pay for that waste.

this point is just emotive heresay, illogical unsupported gumph

When people rattle on about the money that gets borrowed or spent by governments and councils using this "they never asked me if that's what I wanted" nonsense they fail to grasp how time consuming it would be for them if they all had a say in every pound that was spent.

it seems to be worthwhile for most companies to conduct consumer research - so why not the government? at the very least they could work out what we want, by whether we buy it or not if we are given the option.

They also fail to grasp how expensive it would be if everything was purchased locally by small groups or individuals. For example, I predict that the GP control of NHS money thing will turn out to be an unmitigated disaster.
Interesting, I purchase my groceries as an individual, but that does not stop the systems erected by the supermarkets from being very efficient. Equally many companies large and small run things efficiently that people buy individually or as family groups.

If the govt sold services instead of paying for them by extortion then maybe they would be forced to be more efficient.

Another thing that is never properly grasped is just how many things there are that would not be provided at all.
Brilliant - then they would stop wasting my money on things that no man or beast finds useful.
You get people who resent "their money" going on schools and education purely because they have chosen not to have children. They are idiots. Pure and simple. And 99% of the other arguments for not spending on this or that are just as self centered, short sighted and stupid.

Govt spending is forced spending - most often on services that they give themselves a monopoly in. This is why we continually have low quality, increasing prices and inflexible services run for the benefit of the service provider rather than the service user.

It is their money - what right do the govt have to take it and spend it on things for other people? Things that those other people don't even want or use...

govt spending is just that - it isn't "investment" nor does the education provided by the state seem to be a very good investment for the future. (see 20% youth unemployment)

If they let people choose to spend their own money in whatever school they wanted to I suspect we would have a much better educated workforce.

Funny how the sell off of the forests gets canned just because shed loads of Tory voters objected on mostly illogical and emotional grounds. We can cover the costs in order to ensure that country folk still have somewhere to ride their horses but we can't afford stuff that really matters. The whole austerity thing is an idealogical crusade that comes from the very core of the Tory party and the financial situation is the excuse they needed to do it, not the reason why. Like most crusades it is based on faith and philosophy and a very narrow blinked view. Also, like all crusades it is doomed to fail.

the "austerity" is a myth. Government spending is higher now than it was a year ago and it will continue to rise for the next 5 years. We will end up in a situation where we cannot afford debt repayments unless successive governments do something radical. Sadly none of the current political establishment seems to be about to do this.

As for the rest of it - politics is corrupt - don't be naive and pretend that Labour or the Lib Dems would be any better.

Most real work done by councils is now carried out by contractors or agency workers on very low pay, this leaves plenty of your taxes left over to pay for all the bull$hit roles, the parasitic management class and the chief executives, not to mention the private service companies that now feed off the public sector's inability to draft decent contracts.

There is now a class of people in local authorities that set their own market and outbid themselves, they demand FTSE style pay to carry out public duties, despite the fact there are never any consequences for failure, because they set their own targets and can simply dump any mistakes on the rate payer and then blame "the system". Even when they fail in the worst way possible and are in rare occasions sacked (they never resign or take responsibility) they still cash in.

In reality most town halls could function with a fraction of their current work force, they could function as a procurement service with the actual work being carried out by mutuals, workers co-operatives and private contractors, you'd just need a handful of oversight people ensuring work is carried out and getting maximum value for money. However, this will never happen for various reasons.

As you've seen, there's lots of vested interests, petty politics, dodgy deals, and what amounts to blatant corruption in these thiefdoms; all feeding off the same host (you). They are almost entirely "producer lead" which means self-interest comes first and the public interest is an afterthought. I feel sorry for the frontline workers that are the first thrown overboard just so a bunch of crooks can try and score some cheap political points and protect their own pay and numbers.

It looks like the Manchester City Council chief exec (>£200k per annum + benefits) is setting himself up as the new Bob Diamond, his calculating cynicism has kind of backfired, ugly piggy.

+200(k) - from someone who has been there.

the "austerity" is a myth. Government spending is higher now than it was a year ago and it will continue to rise for the next 5 years. We will end up in a situation where we cannot afford debt repayments unless successive governments do something radical. Sadly none of the current political establishment seems to be about to do this.

As for the rest of it - politics is corrupt - don't be naive and pretend that Labour or the Lib Dems would be any better.

If "austerity" is a myth you have to ask yourself why this current government is so keen to push that myth.

Let me think now.....Lying about cutting spending plays to the Tory party faithful as long as they don't see through the lie.

Then there's the recessionary effect that all this austerity talk has on the economy. Why would they want to talk us into a recession? I don't know for sure but I do know that it has been a trademark of an incoming Tory Prime Minister for at least the last three (Thatcher, Major and now Cameron).

And there's also the damage it does to them in the polls. I think Cameron is hoping for a Falklands style miracle to save his party from disaster at the next election. Either that or he's not bothered about a second term. Maybe he already has plans for his next career. <_<

I think Cameron is hoping for a Falklands style miracle to save his party from disaster at the next election.

If the way they are dealing with getting our guys out of Libya is any guide he would mess that up too. They can't even organize one plane let alone a whole battle fleet.