House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

The Coalition Strikes Back

Ministers said that, even if trade union predictions that Coalition cuts would lead to 162,000 job losses in local government were correct, it still meant that the number of town hall workers would be higher than when Labour came to office. The local government sector is bigger than central government, according to the figures.

:ph34r:

Who do the councils get their money from? Our council tax? Or from Government? Who has the say here?

...their main income is from our council tax but they get some central government funding....some of them are delinquent spenders much like the Gordon Brown school of waste and spend ...time they were held accountable.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Although I support the austerity drive I feel the coalition have little credibility on cutting the deficit considering the tax breaks they're giving to big business and in particular the banks.

The Lib Dems have lowered themselves into the gutter with the Tories, or at least revealed themselves to be just as bad as the 2 main parties.

Edited by MC Fur Q

Although I support the austerity drive I feel the coalition have little credibility on cutting the defecit considering the tax breaks they're giving to big business and in particular the banks.

The Lib Dems have lowered themselves into the gutter with the Tories, or at least revealed themselves to be just as bad as the 2 main parties.

...so you would like to go back to spending money we don't have ....how typical..... :lol:

Who do the councils get their money from? Our council tax? Or from Government? Who has the say here?

25% council tax 75% from Central govt. This is why the coalition could force the cuts to council budgets.

Although I support the austerity drive I feel the coalition have little credibility on cutting the deficit considering the tax breaks they're giving to big business and in particular the banks.

Tax breaks for business created more private sector jobs. Something we need desparately,

75% from government, eh? Then they have to power to bl00dy well make the cuts, end of.

I've ALWAYS wondered just how much of our council tax actually goes toward services (I hate the umbrella word), and how much goes to salaries/pensions.

Where do you think the new jobs are going to come from?

They are going to have to come from private sector business. Cutting taxes for businesses is vital in achieving this so that they can boost profit, grow and employ more people!

Come on fella, use your head

Within days of the Coalition coming to power they said they would change the rules on redundancy payments so that public sector workers could be fired without big pay-offs. They bleated about it for about 2 months.

To date - nothing.

They are all talk. No action.

...so you would like to go back to spending money we don't have ....how typical..... :lol:

Folk who make comments like that just reveal that they have no real understanding of how modern capitalist economies work....or don't work if you prefer.

It's all about spending money you don't have. A mortgage to buy a house would be just one of many possible examples. Borrowing in order to expand your business is another.

I would prefer it if things like that didn't happen. Houses would be much cheaper for a start. But things like that do happen and will continue to do so.

I suspect that, like most people, you think it's OK if it's you borrowing from the bank to fund something that you deem to be needed or "sensible" and I'm sure you will be able to provide a list of reasons why your borrowing in order to "spend money you don't have" falls into an entirely different category. <_<

Within days of the Coalition coming to power they said they would change the rules on redundancy payments so that public sector workers could be fired without big pay-offs. They bleated about it for about 2 months.

To date - nothing.

They are all talk. No action.

I could be wrong but I am fairly sure that the rules changed last year.

I also think that the changes were already in the pipeline before the election.

...their main income is from our council tax but they get some central government funding....some of them are delinquent spenders much like the Gordon Brown school of waste and spend ...time they were held accountable.... :rolleyes:

Are you sure SL? I think I remember (vaguely) that it was the other way round. I'm not sure though. Do you have a link?

Folk who make comments like that just reveal that they have no real understanding of how modern capitalist economies work....or don't work if you prefer.

It's all about spending money you don't have. A mortgage to buy a house would be just one of many possible examples. Borrowing in order to expand your business is another.

I would prefer it if things like that didn't happen. Houses would be much cheaper for a start. But things like that do happen and will continue to do so.

I suspect that, like most people, you think it's OK if it's you borrowing from the bank to fund something that you deem to be needed or "sensible" and I'm sure you will be able to provide a list of reasons why your borrowing in order to "spend money you don't have" falls into an entirely different category. <_<

Big difference between an individual making the decision to borrow money and somebody else making a decision to borrow money on your behalf without asking you but expecting you just to cough up with higher taxation.

Where do you think the new jobs are going to come from?

They are going to have to come from private sector business. Cutting taxes for businesses is vital in achieving this so that they can boost profit, grow and employ more people!

Come on fella, use your head

Come back here in one year with a list of these new private sector jobs. <_<

I expect a rise in debt collector vacancies. Can't think of much else that's on the up.

Big difference between an individual making the decision to borrow money and somebody else making a decision to borrow money on your behalf without asking you but expecting you just to cough up with higher taxation.

Just out of curiosity, have you any idea how much it would cost you as an individual if you had to hire your own contractors to provide each and every aspect of the infrastructure that you take for granted as you go about your business in this country?

....lending on a mortgage is based on your projected income and personal balance sheet ...a decent lender does not lend to any half wit or financial illiterate.....borrowing re business is on projected cash flow ....don't think any lefty Labour Government thinks in that way ..... :rolleyes:

....the country does not have the money to pay it's loans ....so why borrow more ..?....it's your type of financial illiteracy also displayed by Gordo which produced the mess we are in ....I don't have a mortgage..... :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, have you any idea how much it would cost you as an individual if you had to hire your own contractors to provide each and every aspect of the infrastructure that you take for granted as you go about your business in this country?

Your question is illogical!

They're bound to want to cut the front-line jobs first, any Labour council at least, and probably most of the LD ones too.

Those are the cuts people see and care about, and councils want to stir them up against the Nasty Tories. Local elections are coming up in May after all.

This is all about politics and power.

....lending on a mortgage is based on your projected income and personal balance sheet ...a decent lender does not lend to any half wit or financial illiterate.....borrowing re business is on projected cash flow ....don't think any lefty Labour Government thinks in that way ..... :rolleyes:

And who are these decent lenders? Not the RBS or BOS guys, that's for sure.

....the country does not have the money to pay it's loans ....so why borrow more ..?....it's your type of financial illiteracy also displayed by Gordo which produced the mess we are in ....I don't have a mortgage..... :rolleyes:

"I don't have a mortgage" is a pointless statement in this context unless you are saying that you have never had one. As I already said, you think that your borrowing to spend money you didn't have was OK because your financial projections worked out and you paid your debts.