House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sharpe

The Mayfair Set

Great documentary by Adam Curtis on the BBC:

Pretty much captures the lead up to the disaster of the first decade in the 21st century. Four episodes that get better.

I must confess to being surprised how powerless our the politicians are. According to this version of events at least, they are basically at the mercy of investors, and helpless to do anything other than give investors what they want.

It's well worth watching this James Goldsmith interview on Charlie Rose, he warns of the dangers of globalisation, while some numpty Pollyanna from the Clinton economics team tells us its all going to be fabulous

The best part is that Tyson is still around giving 'advice' on matters economic, despite everything she claimed here being proved utter ********. And still playing the same tired globalist theme tune.

If you want to know what an economist thinks, just find out who funds them.

Guest sillybear2

Great documentary by Adam Curtis on the BBC:

Pretty much captures the lead up to the disaster of the first decade in the 21st century. Four episodes that get better.

I must confess to being surprised how powerless our the politicians are. According to this version of events at least, they are basically at the mercy of investors, and helpless to do anything other than give investors what they want.

....eventually the Saudis and today long after the documentary was made ...Gadaffi dealt with the Nulabour Government and the Devolved Scottish Government....the striking element of the documentary was the closed doors secrets by all our Governments since WW2 in our fall from 'power'.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Guest The Relaxation Suite

It's well worth watching this James Goldsmith interview on Charlie Rose, he warns of the dangers of globalisation, while some numpty Pollyanna from the Clinton economics team tells us its all going to be fabulous.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5064665078176641728&ei=N7bOS8zgF9Hj-AbZmpXZDA&q=James+Goldsmith&hl=en#

It was Clinton that deregulated the banks and started this whole mess - but with a GOP congress as I recall.

It was Clinton that deregulated the banks and started this whole mess - but with a GOP congress as I recall.

I think the catalyst was the Latam crisis under Reagan. The western banks desperately needed to make up their losses from that crisis which deregulation allowed them to do. Funnily enough, the person that first designed and implemented this 'too big to fail' doctrine (that I know of) in the modern manner was ... Paul Volcker.

The biggest item of deregulation that I know of was bank driven account sweeping in 1995. It completely freed US banks from fractional reserves lending constraints. That never passed in front of congress, it was all done 'in house', amongst responsible friends, by the Fed.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

I think the catalyst was the Latam crisis under Reagan. The western banks desperately needed to make up their losses from that crisis which deregulation allowed them to do. Funnily enough, the person that first designed and implemented this 'too big to fail' doctrine (that I know of) in the modern manner was ... Paul Volcker.

The biggest item of deregulation that I know of was bank driven account sweeping in 1995. It completely freed US banks from fractional reserves lending constraints. That never passed in front of congress, it was all done 'in house', amongst responsible friends, by the Fed.

I didn't know that about Latam, an dintersting about Volcker too. This issue is way beyond partisan politics, I know that. It's unstoppable as well - we're all just clinging on to the raft now.