House Price Crash Forum

Average Amount Drunk In Uk Is 16Th Highest Worldwide

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8330796/Average-amount-drunk-in-UK-is-16th-highest-worldwide.html

The average British adult consumes the equivalent of almost 500 pints a year, more than their European neighbours, suggests the latest research by the World Health Organisation.

Figures published by the World Health Organisation disclose that the average Briton drinks more than 13 litres of pure alcohol a year – higher than the European average and equivalent to nearly 500 pints of beer.

Beer accounts for almost half (43 per cent) of the alcohol drunk in the country, with a third (30 per cent) wine and a fifth (21 per cent) spirits.

The report also shows that deaths from liver cirrhosis have risen in recent years, and that 1 in 15 men in Britain is an alcoholic.

It warns: “Alcohol consumption is the world’s third largest risk factor for disease and disability; in middle-income countries, it is the greatest risk.

“Alcohol is a causal factor in 60 types of diseases and injuries and a component cause in 200 others.

Still I'm sure the income squeeze that's coming will cause many to cut back.

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8330796/Average-amount-drunk-in-UK-is-16th-highest-worldwide.html

Still I'm sure the income squeeze that's coming will cause many to cut back.

No it will just reduce the quality of what they drink. White Lightning style cider is just a few quid a bottle and may no longer be the the preserve of 15yr olds and drunks on park benches.

HOLA443
HOLA444

No it will just reduce the quality of what they drink. White Lightning style cider is just a few quid a bottle and may no longer be the the preserve of 15yr olds and drunks on park benches.

Even cheaper - brew your own Turbo Cider. Take a few cartons of Aldi/Lidl apple juice, add some sugar and yeast and brew for 7 to 10 days. It's nicer than White Lightning and around 8%. I'm drinking some now and it's rather nice, although I admit I did use the not from concentrate stuff for mine.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

But why do they not mention the fact that alcohol consumption in the UK has been falling every year since 2004? Why do the newspapers want to make us out to be irredeemable pissheads when the reverse would appear to the the case? Is there some agenda here?

'Five myths about alcohol':

http://www.devilskitchen.me.uk/2010/04/five-myths-about-alcohol.html

Away from media hysteria and the medical lobby's hyperbole, the facts are plain: we are drinking less than we did 100 years ago, more than we did 50 years ago and less than we did 5 years ago. We are middle-weights in the European drinking league and the fact that we have a lot of knob-heads causing problems in our towns and cities at the weekend is because there a lot of knob-heads in the UK. The reasons for that is a whole other story, but it has nothing to do with advertising, happy hours or the price of lager.

It is doubtful that even the British Medical Association really believes that charging 50p a unit or banning Guiness adverts will make the slightest difference to rates of consumption, but that is not really the objective. The objective is to officially identify drinking as 'bad' in the same way that smoking is 'bad'. From that starting point, all else follows.

HOLA448

Even cheaper - brew your own Turbo Cider. Take a few cartons of Aldi/Lidl apple juice, add some sugar and yeast and brew for 7 to 10 days.

What yeast?

I am horrified to read that alcohol advice is "have one or two days a week when you don't have a drink"...

I opened a bottle of wine two Fridays ago and had a glass and a half ...

Do I not drink enough?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Only 500 pints?

I drink more than twice that. The UK tea council's web site has a clock suggesting I'm far from alone.

And the tea's just the start. After my maybe 1400 pints I have to add fruit juice, beer, wine, coffee, and the occasional something-else from water to strong spirits to cocoa.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

My favourite anecdotal from a black cab driver: 'the sixties were better, everyone was pissed, all the time'.

Fifteen years ago it was entirely normal to go to the pub at lunchtime during work hours and sink a couple of pints...

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Glad the BS has been picked up here.

It's a good excuse for certain vested interested and taxpayer funded bodies to misrepresent the facts.

• Pubs are closing - up to 40 a week now.
  • On trade alcohol consumption continues fall.
  • A greater awareness and promotion of problems amongst a minority does not mean that our drinking is out of control. There was something the other week about liver disease in the young shooting up by 50% (the thing is the figures were something like 150 cases to 225 cases in a year, a tiny amount in the population of drinkers in that age group, yet it served the purpose to demonise the pub culture (and people enjoying themselves) and positioned health authorities for more money and OTT, draconian 'binge drinking' measures.

There is quite a good blog here (The Pub Curmudgeon) about the pub industry.

HOLA4417

sickening, there's just no effort anymore.

i think i'm nearer the 4000 pints a year mark anyhow, excluding spirits.

get a water distill - litre of moonshine for a quid.

why anyone wouldn't want to be sozzled in this hole of a world is beyond me!

HOLA4418

It's a good excuse for certain vested interested and taxpayer funded bodies to misrepresent the facts.

• Pubs are closing - up to 40 a week now.

• On trade alcohol consumption continues fall.

• A greater awareness and promotion of problems amongst a minority does not mean that our drinking is out of control. There was something the other week about liver disease in the young shooting up by 50% (the thing is the figures were something like 150 cases to 225 cases in a year, a tiny amount in the population of drinkers in that age group, yet it served the purpose to demonise the pub culture (and people enjoying themselves) and positioned health authorities for more money and OTT, draconian 'binge drinking' measures.

There is quite a good blog here (The Pub Curmudgeon) about the pub industry.

I think we are doing well holding onto 16th Place, we are above the relegation zone and with all you have listed, it`s the same as playing without a recognised striker and being down to 10 men. (and Robert Green in goal)

Game of two halves...... and a packet of Pork Scratchings.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Delving into the article, if you exclude tee-totallers from the statistics, we're only half way down the world league table, behind eve Egypt and Iraq! I suppose both those countries have a lot of non-drinkers but the ones who do partake must be absolute experts!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

[*]Pubs are closing - up to 40 a week now.

[*]On trade alcohol consumption continues fall.

I thought drinking was on the decline for the last 15 years!

Governments do not like pubs, because people might congregate there, and discuss stuff! :blink::ph34r::ph34r:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I thought drinking was on the decline for the last 15 years!

Governments do not like pubs, because people might congregate there, and discuss stuff! :blink::ph34r::ph34r:

That thought had crossed my mind too. Time to raid the cupboard under the kitchen sink and make a shiny new hat I think.

Archived