House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cypher007

Properties Being Taken Off The Market

ive noticed even in my local area quite a few properties being taken off the market. mostly nice 3-5 bed detached places. whats it like in your area? im of the opinion either estate agents are dumping overpriced properties they cant sell, or people have seen the price falls and have decided not to get into nequity.

ive noticed even in my local area quite a few properties being taken off the market. mostly nice 3-5 bed detached places. whats it like in your area? im of the opinion either estate agents are dumping overpriced properties they cant sell, or people have seen the price falls and have decided not to get into nequity.

Don't think you can decide whether or not your in neg equity, the market decides that. :)

I saw a lot of this last summer and especially in the run up to christmas. Many of which came back on early this year. One returned today which was removed in September last year. At 10% lower price which is encouraging.

A couple of the areas that I monitor now have more properties on the Market already than the peak of last year.

Yes, taken off then back on etc regularly happening around my area. Hopefully the scumbag agents are expecting them to get the liar loans and its just not happening.

God I hate estate agents, be nothing but cruel and nasty to each and everyone one of them I say.

A mate of mine was told by an agent that the vendor was looking for offers north of such and such (what kind of idiot uses the term "north of" in respect of an asking price), a month later the vendor accepted 20k less than such and such but no doubt this property will be back on the market next month.

In my street -

no 1 - Still emtpy after a year and off the market for all that time

no 2 - Removed from market just before christmas. House had an offer that was too low, but accepted and then the buyer found out it was leasehold and pulled out.

no 7 - Still on with 2 agents while 2 others have been removed, been trying to let it for the last 6 months, but the letting agent has now been sacked. House has been reduced from £220k to £180 with no interest.

I was talking to an EA today who told me that people are mostly still in denial demanding ludicrous asking prices and expecting to get the full asking price.

He told me they either just leave them on at that price or take them off only to put them on with another EA for more some time later.

He said that he is getting a lot of flake from sellers who blame him for not marketing, not doing his job. Refuse to believe it is the price.

But he said that some sellers were now taking offers 20% below asking and then demanding 20% off the house they are buying. It is like wading in treacle at the moment to get this started but started it apparently has.

Next door to where we are renting just taken off.

He had it on for 20% more than the last sale in Dec 2009 and cannot understand why he had just 2 viewings since last June. He told me last October that people were saying house prices would fall but assured me his wouldn't.

There are two houses opposite that have been on for 20% less than his since we got here last August.

I was talking to an EA today who told me that people are mostly still in denial demanding ludicrous asking prices and expecting to get the full asking price.

He told me they either just leave them on at that price or take them off only to put them on with another EA for more some time later.

He said that he is getting a lot of flake from sellers who blame him for not marketing, not doing his job. Refuse to believe it is the price.

But he said that some sellers were now taking offers 20% below asking and then demanding 20% off the house they are buying. It is like wading in treacle at the moment to get this started but started it apparently has.

That's what we need people doing. If these people are upsizing they are actually saving themselves 20% on the cost of the transaction as opposed to taking top price for their house and paying top price for the next.

I did like HIPS for keeping the sad sacks on the market

Yes I think this winter has seen many more than usual come off and back on again now there are no HIPS. It's a lot easier to go on and off as you please now.

Now that's the type of news we call good news.

Radio5 today had a lunchtime session and all they talked about was how to make mortgages more accessible for first time buyers. Not one person said the simplest answer of all .... let houses become cheaper. All the answers were around decreasing required desposits, yet they said banks would never again loan as much as they did due to Basil2 reserve requirements. So they ummmmd and arrrrd and never figured out the simplest answer of all.

How can people who consider themselves intelligent miss the obvious I wonder? Is it denial or is it really stupidity?

That's what we need people doing. If these people are upsizing they are actually saving themselves 20% on the cost of the transaction as opposed to taking top price for their house and paying top price for the next.

Yes...'house price drop will come from the top'.....often the top have more equity to play with...often the top made the most in the boom so are more able to take a bigger hit...no drop, no sale. ;)

hmm interesting. it seems the markets elsewhere are falling, whilst here in Boston the sheer number of immigrants seems to be keeping the market going, due to them purchasing property to either live in or BTL.

We have had nothing new whatsoever come to Market in our town anywhere at all in 8 days now. All that gad happened and that was last Friday - is one place that had been sstc for 4 days unsold itself and got relisted. Annoyingly that one - one we are interested in - isnow relisted and shows as new to Market etc etc. (which it isn't as it was coming up at end-Feb for it's first yearly birthday on rightmove

Excellent example of group think gone mad.

Now now Bardon old chap. As much as your bullism is slightly irksome it is honest and reasonable. This stands as an exception.

There has been no price discovery therefore there is no price. Withdrawing a good from sale does not protect anything other than a nominal value assigned to said good by the owner thereof. If every other house on that street sells for 30% less than the owners perceived value has its price been maintained?

The chap on the posters street assured the poster that the price of his house wouldn't fall. Given that he hasn't sold it, there is no new price other than the original one and it therefore cannot, as far as I can see have fallen in price. Maybe he has sold privately for a lower price and I will stand corrected.

If im selling a mobile phone in eBay and I want £100 for it but other similar phones are only making £60 and I remove mine from sale does that mean mine retains it's £100 value?

Now it maybe that in the long term these phones once again become more desirable and I may be able to sell at some point in the future for £100. But that does not change the fact the current Market value of that particular phone is around £60. Whether I like or not, or whether I sell it or not, it's value has fallen.

The chap on the posters street assured the poster that the price of his house wouldn't fall. Given that he hasn't sold it, there is no new price other than the original one and it therefore cannot, as far as I can see have fallen in price. Maybe he has sold privately for a lower price and I will stand corrected.

This argument is starting to sound a little like Schrödinger's cat.

There is no price to the house until the house has been sold.

It has neither fallen or gone up in price. If the house stays on the market for ever, unsold, does the house exist? :rolleyes:

This argument is starting to sound a little like Schrödinger's cat.

There is no price to the house until the house has been sold.

It has neither fallen or gone up in price. If the house stays on the market for ever, unsold, does the house exist? :rolleyes:

:lol:

I'm convinced that a lot of the reason for houses being taken off of the market is the "...well if I can't get what it's worth I'm not selling" mentality.

Also, for many people, they'd be putting their house on the market at a price less than they paid. That's one hell of a mental block to a property obsessed nation.

I'm convinced that a lot of the reason for houses being taken off of the market is the "...well if I can't get what it's worth I'm not selling" mentality.

Also, for many people, they'd be putting their house on the market at a price less than they paid. That's one hell of a mental block to a property obsessed nation.

Unfortunatly for those who have taken their house off they have been more than matched by other putting them back on!

Something I've started to see on property bee is a reduction on the asking price along with 'PART EXCHANGE CONSIDERED'.

To me, and I might be mistaken, this looks like upgraders and downsizers doing a swap, with the upgraders paying the difference in cash on the larger property. The rest is basically some sort of barter, perhaps?