House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Council Chiefs In South Wales Defend Salaries: 'pay Peanuts, Get Monkeys'

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Council-chiefs-defend-salaries-pay-peanuts-monkeys/article-3234384-detail/article.html

THE pay of senior council officers has been defended with a simple message — if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

The salaries of town hall bosses are in the spotlight after plans by Westminster to give councillors in England the power to block "mega" pay deals for chief executives and other leaders.

The chief executive of Carmarthenshire Council leads the way in South West Wales, with a salary of just under £165,000 a year.

Six other senior posts at the authority also come with six-figure salaries. Council leader Meryl Gravell defended the pay of the authority's managers, saying they were doing a good job.

"They are worth every penny that we pay them," she said.

"If we didn't have that quality Carmarthenshire wouldn't be where it is. I'm getting pretty fed up of this in the news.

"If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys."

Figures from Incomes Data Services show the heads of local authorities in Wales and England are paid an average of almost £148,000 — around £5,500 more than the Prime Minister.

Five senior managers in Swansea Council take home pay packets in excess of £100,000, including chief executive Paul Smith, who is paid just under £156,000. The authority's executive director is on £120,000, while the directors of regeneration, environment, and education all earn between £100,000 and £107,500.

"They are worth every penny that we pay them," she said.

Worth every penny eh? On what basis? Effective? Intelligent? Well trained? Work hard?

"If we didn't have that quality Carmarthenshire wouldn't be where it is. I'm getting pretty fed up of this in the news.

This is the quality we expect do we, from council spokes-people? .....

"I'm getting pretty fed up OF this in the news"

So basic English is not one of the criteria then.

Edited by VacantPossession

Who is talking about peanut pay. How about reasonable pay instead?

A chief exec of a mid-sized council should be paid somewhere in the region of £70-£80k tops. They are PUBLIC servants and not there to enrich themselves. If they think they are that good and they can go and work for a bankster.

Council workers do not need high levels of skill. They are civil servants and require no more than a Master's level education and basic management skills.

If the PM is on around £140k it seems that the very highest paid chief exec of local giovement should be £100k max. And that for one of the ten largest cities.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Pay a fair rate, get a fair man.

Pay well over the odds and get money grabbing useless mother fkin cnts that know not the meaning of work let alone an hours labour.

Anybody earning more than £350 a week in the public sector should be forced to do an 84 hour week in food factory for minimum wage. If they can't hack it they should have their pay cut to minimum wage.

Edited by Formerly Unemployed Youth

It looks like the monkeys are already in charge - so cut the salaries to peanuts - at least then there will be a chance to get value for money.

....I would say too many overpaid chiefs and not enough Indians. ;)

Allied to the delusional thinking of half the population, that houses will somehow always go up...eventually.... and the Uk is "out of recession" (pause for chuckle), is another delusion which assumes that just because someone sits at a desk and is able to answer a 'phone, write letters with bad grammar, and is in a "white collar" job, they are somehow as of right entitled to a superior salary compared to more useful jobs.

I'm sure the average Council Exec has a stressful job, but so do many check-out ladies in Asda, some of whom are doing three jobs to make ends meet. Just as the banking mafia members feel entitled to mega salaries because they happen to control (effectively) the money supply, senior council employees really believe they are owed a premium.

The reality is that their jobs are of average importance, but no more so than a street cleaner, delivery driver or any other ordinary person. This "must attract quality" argument makes me wretch.

Edited by VacantPossession

Genuine Question - Who appoints a new Chief Exec of a council and sets the salary levels and stuff? Presumably the Council and therefore elected councillors? In which case I wonder how it would go down if you were to apply and state that you would half your own salary immediately, and work on reducing head count of other chiefs etc. If you could show experiance of genuine competant management in a private sector role why would they not be tempted.

I say sack them and replace them with new recruits on 50K-60K or thereabouts

Then lets see if things get worse. I very much doubt they will as things weren't worse before they introduced these ridiculously high salaries

Whats more, as taxpayers I feel we have the right to conduct this experiment. We are paying for it after all

Lets face it, in 99% of cases, monkeys would be an improvement.

Agreed.

Perhaps we could all club together and buy a huge HPC sponsored bag of peanuts for the people of Carmarthenshire. :)

I say sack them and replace them with new recruits on 50K-60K or thereabouts

Then lets see if things get worse. I very much doubt they will as things weren't worse before they introduced these ridiculously high salaries

Whats more, as taxpayers I feel we have the right to conduct this experiment. We are paying for it after all

I agree 100%

Re-instate the stocks, frog march them to the town square and let them be pelted with stools and rotten tomatoes.

They are mocking the public and it is time there were some serious demonstrations out side council offices to deman 50% pay cuts.

The disparity in pay between Chief Execs Jobs and the staff at the bottom (in some cases as little as £9,000 pa) is a disgrace. Of course if these overpaid Chiefs all took a pay cut of £100,000 pa then we would not need to cut frontline staff such as nurses and social workers. Obviously this is not going to happen! :angry:

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

Pay a fair rate, get a fair man.

Pay well over the odds and get money grabbing useless mother fkin cnts that know not the meaning of work let alone an hours labour.

Anybody earning more than £350 a week in the public sector should be forced to do an 84 hour week in food factory for minimum wage. If they can't hack it they should have their pay cut to minimum wage.

+1 Couldn't put it better myself!

Errrr... where is it, exactly? :lol:

No idea - leeky Dragons

It has Britain's smallest City - St Davids

No wunder they get to award/pay themselves 'City' wages after reading this

Emails sent to the local Council have remained unanswered, no surprise as they appear to cover up things for as long as they can. Council philosophy seems to be "keep quiet" and no one will know or find out. They are in for a big surprise!!!

Carmarthenshire County Council and its 'Cabinet' are constantly criticised over policy and lack of democracy. The criticism seems well justified judging by letters regularly published in the Carmarthen Journal and other newspapers. The words "Mickey Mouse" spring to mind when the Council's name crops up. :o

Well, I am here ready to take over any of those positions for £99k pa. Those people do not need the qualifications or technical expertise of many people who earn between 60 and 100k. They could not do my job, unless a qualified professional. But I and many others could do theirs. No doubt they would scream otherwise. It is probably very busy and sometimes long hours (perhaps not - may be they knock off at 5) but we do not parade their decisions or output in public and it is hard to see how much pressure this would all amount to. For me, if I do not perform I may lose market segment or even worse, go under.

It used to be that public service was slightly less well paid than private enterprise with all those inherent risks and with better job security and massive pay-offs if made redundant. It is not like private business whereyou may go bust, lose your house and no free pensions. But no. We have recently learnt that public sector pay in comparable jobs actually exceeds private sector pay. That is wrong.

To be fair given the salaries given to senior doctors,lawyers and accountants I don't actually think £150k a year is THAT ridiculous for the heads of organisations employing thousands with budgets in the hundreds of millions.

*Retreats cowering*

Well, I am here ready to take over any of those positions for £99k pa. Those people do not need the qualifications or technical expertise of many people who earn between 60 and 100k. They could not do my job, unless a qualified professional. But I and many others could do theirs. No doubt they would scream otherwise. It is probably very busy and sometimes long hours (perhaps not - may be they knock off at 5) but we do not parade their decisions or output in public and it is hard to see how much pressure this would all amount to. For me, if I do not perform I may lose market segment or even worse, go under.

It used to be that public service was slightly less well paid than private enterprise with all those inherent risks and with better job security and massive pay-offs if made redundant. It is not like private business whereyou may go bust, lose your house and no free pensions. But no. We have recently learnt that public sector pay in comparable jobs actually exceeds private sector pay. That is wrong.

Question is - would you still do the job if a prerequisite was to open a private, secret bank account to accept a load of contract bribes 'payments'