House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GloomMonger

How Much Should We Give To Foreign Aid?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23923849-support-foreign-aid-spending-by-taking-to-streets-urges-harriet-harman.do

Harriet Harman today urged thousands of people to take to the streets in support of spending on foreign aid.

The shadow international development secretary wants to summon the spirit of the Live 8 concerts and Make Poverty History march as a way of holding the Government to a key pledge.

Ms Harman told the Evening Standard of fears that "strong voices" in the Conservative Party will lead ministers to abandon promises to spend 0.7 per cent of national income on overseas aid by 2013.

The commitment was in both the Tory and Liberal Democrat manifestos and was also included in the Coalition agreement, with a vow to make it law. But Ms Harman fears that the Tories are only "fairweather friends" to aid and is launching the Keep The .7%2013 Promise campaign tonight to maintain pressure on the Government. She hopes it will lead to a repeat of the events around the G8 summit in Gleneagles in 2005.

"There was a mass campaign with Bono and Bob Geldof, thousands of people out in support of this, and we think that that is necessary again because we want that commitment to be met," Ms Harman said.

Labour's deputy leader is hoping to gather a broad church of supporters, with celebrity backers, for when the Government announces the results of an aid spending review next month.

The Camberwell and Peckham MP concedes there are some people who find foreign aid hard to stomach at a time of big public spending cuts at home. But she argues that Labour managed to keep it up in 1997 when "people were dying on hospital waiting lists (and) roofs were leaking in schools".

Ms Harman, who has served 28 years as a Labour MP, was speaking during a break from jury service at Southwark crown court. She reserved special criticism for Nick Clegg, whom she shadows as deputy prime minister. "It's like he has become a Tory - in all my years of being an MP I can't remember seeing anything like it," Ms Harman said of the Lib-Dem leader.

I especially love her admission:

But she argues that Labour managed to keep it up in 1997 when "people were dying on hospital waiting lists (and) roofs were leaking in schools"

I'm all for a bit of overseas aid, but surely, charity should start at home, why not sort out the leaky roofs and waiting lists first!

I would argue this woman is a danger to the UK and our future. :(

Give much or little as you want. Its your personal choice.

Why should govt decide how much people should give for them?

If Harriet Harman wants to give all her money away, or even a rather daft abritary UN target of 0.7% of her income (which i assume she doesnt) she should, rather than wait for govt to do it for her.

Anyone who thinks our FA cash goes to the poor & needy is living in dreamworld. The vast majority goes to the relevant dictators, either for their personal use, or to allow them to buy arms (guess who from).

A simple, quick and FAIR fix would be to deny any aid to countries that either have a Space Program or can afford Nuclear weapons. If they've got that much spare cash then they don't need it from us.

Finally, no money to any country that we'd have to borrow it from first (via the markets) in order to give it back to them and then have to pay interest on as well! (So China then really).

Madness.

The issue is who we give the money to.

I think there is a case for aid payments if we get some concrete benefit for it, e.g. first refusal on buying a commodity from that country that we need, or if aid payments keep a regime in power that is friendly to us and keeps a hostile one out. But giving aid to emerging superpowers such as India and China is just taking the proverbial.

I say well done Hatty.

If she keeps running her mouth at this rate and making more admissions like this then even the dimmest tabloid reader wont be able to forget what liebour have done.

Its all very well and good to say who should have aid. She probably went home thinking what a good job she has done to move a lot of money to the impoverished. However the difficult part, and the part that labour just ignored is who to take the money from. Increased expenditure in one area just means either more tax or take from another cause.