House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

Cameron On Tv Now Re Benefits

Those of you here (yes, likely to be public servants)who visit people on HB will of course be aware that there are people living in nice flats with nice furniture, with probably more expensive clothing and nights out that you will ever be able to afford with your measly front-line worker salary.

My TV came from Freecycle and is a tiny CRT. I cannot remember the last time I was in a HB house where it was a CRT TV, not a massive flatscreen.

Talking about how HB has got completely out of control and how benefits fraudsters got just a talking to and a maximum fine of 13 quid a week.

Roll on the New England.

HB has got completely out of control but why does he think it's OK for banksters to commit fraud?

New England? :lol: What a load of tosh.

Those of you here (yes, likely to be public servants)who visit people on HB will of course be aware that there are people living in nice flats with nice furniture, with probably more expensive clothing and nights out that you will ever be able to afford with your measly front-line worker salary.

My TV came from Freecycle and is a tiny CRT. I cannot remember the last time I was in a HB house where it was a CRT TV, not a massive flatscreen.

Madness :angry:.

HB has got completely out of control but why does he think it's OK for banksters to commit fraud?

New England? :lol: What a load of tosh.

Yep

How much would HB be if house prices and rents weren't allowed to soar out of control?

Madness :angry:.

It is, but at the end of the day it is:

1) Opium for the masses to prevent a Middle East / Africa style riot. (We will also suffer if this happens)

2) Distraction for us ranters from the real issue which another poster has alright highlighted above. Which is why Cameron is going on about it.

I don't really give a toss either way, I don't see it changing significantly in my young lifetime.

dream on:

But ministers have dropped plans to impose a 10% housing benefit cut for anyone unemployed for more than a year.

Brighthouse.

It's a straightforward consequence of the sell-off of council housing.

For council housing, it's fundamentally a matter of the government paying itself through whatever rent level/HB it sets. When that gets transferred to BTL via sell-offs, housing benefit not only has to leap to 'market levels', but it also flows out of government coffers (and into banks via mortgage interest).

The only sure way of getting people off of benefits and into work and stop fraud is:

STOP ALL BENEFITS !!!!

Provide council housing for the homeless and provide food kitchens/free clothing for the unemployed.

There will then be a great incentive to work, i.e. a better standard of living and your own money.

No one will be homeless, no one will go hungry, no one will abuse the system.

Talking about how HB has got completely out of control and how benefits fraudsters got just a talking to and a maximum fine of 13 quid a week.

Roll on the New England.

He talked a lot of sense about bankers in the early days as well. When it came down to it, it was only words.

Still this instance his words don't appear to hurt his own - so the odds of something actually happening are better.

housing-benefit.gif

Looks like its ready to go vertical! :lol:

Personally I'll be quite happy to go onto benefits should my wife lose or give up her job, I'd just continue working part-time and claim. It would mean that the annual 7% rent increases on council housing would be covered by HB.

Yep

How much would HB be if house prices and rents weren't allowed to soar out of control?

Maybe we should all ask ourselves - that as more and more "Housing Associations" have taken over from old council housing (which Govts INSISTED should happen) successive Govts have insisted on policies where the poorest have to pay higher and higher rents as far as the private local going rates!

This of course is ALL paid for by Govt when the poor are thrown out of work!

There is a conspiracy in there - somewhere!

It's a straightforward consequence of the sell-off of council housing.

For council housing, it's fundamentally a matter of the government paying itself through whatever rent level/HB it sets. When that gets transferred to BTL via sell-offs, housing benefit not only has to leap to 'market levels', but it also flows out of government coffers (and into banks via mortgage interest).

You put it so well! Yep, this is what's happening.

The only sure way of getting people off of benefits and into work and stop fraud is:

STOP ALL BENEFITS !!!!

Provide council housing for the homeless and provide food kitchens/free clothing for the unemployed.

There will then be a great incentive to work, i.e. a better standard of living and your own money.

Wouldn't work unless you removed minimum wage at the same time. I used to think this kind of idea was evil (stopping all benefits) until I realised benefits for people with children are half the reason rents are so high in the first place as they get 10x more than those without children.

Maybe we should all ask ourselves - that as more and more "Housing Associations" have taken over from old council housing (which Govts INSISTED should happen) successive Govts have insisted on policies where the poorest have to pay higher and higher rents as far as the private local going rates!

This of course is ALL paid for by Govt when the poor are thrown out of work!

There is a conspiracy in there - somewhere!

The rentier class conspiring against the middle and lower classes perhaps? With most of the middle class cheering them on even though they're also the victims of this conspiracy.

Cameron is pretty good at talking, it is the putting into action bit that he is useless at.

That about sums it up. U turns galore. Bankers get to keep robbing the banks that they work for, gets the PM's nod of approval that does.

The only change so far is tax rises, the last thing that the nation needs.

housing-benefit.gif

Looks like its ready to go vertical! :lol:

Has the number really increased or just the cost of rent has increased? looking at it it seems the cost was rising but by 2007/08 the costs rose up could this explain the sudden jump from 15.5 billion to 20 billion which is when the reccesion started.

Didnt house prices really kick off in 2003 in line with that chart, pre 2000 it was reducing until the BTL madness started around 1999, and it could well be the reason why housing benefit increased do to the lack of social housing which forced people to seek private housing which was more expensive thus seeking governeent help, and as rent rose so did the amount of individuals asking for help as wages were not keeping up with rents. So we could say that the sell of council properties has lead to this rise.

Edited by crash2006

Has the number really increased or just the cost of rent has increased? looking at it it seems the cost was rising but by 2007/08 the costs rose up could this explain the sudden jump from 15.5 billion to 20 billion.

Depends, that chart is a year old, and rates have fallen since then Landlords mortgage payments will have fallen from 5.0% to 0.5% (some more,some less obviously) HB *should* be a lot less now.

Cameron is pretty good at talking, it is the putting into action bit that he is useless at.

My view too. Its hard to disagree with much of what the coalition say, they just dont do much.

Still, its nicer than having Harman yap on about stuff that only makes sense to her. Saves me picking my jaw up off the floor

Depends, that chart is a year old, and rates have fallen since then Landlords mortgage payments will have fallen from 5.0% to 0.5% (some more,some less obviously) HB *should* be a lot less now.

It is unlikely to be less. Why would landlords reduce anyone's rent? The renters dont care, cos someone else is paying.

Factor in the fraud factor, much of HB is just one fraudulent ball of pus, and there is simply no way that the amount is being reduced. The only way to deal with this one is to kill it.

IDS is trying to do that I think, but the political consequences of doing the right thing might be problematic.

STOP ALL BENEFITS !!!!

Its the sell of council homes thats increased demand in the private sector, that has lead to higher prices.