House Price Crash Forum

Council Chief Exec Trougher Gets 7% Pay Increase Now Gets A Mere £168,000

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357677/Labour-run-council-defies-pay-cut-calls-hikes-council-chiefs-pay-7.html

A Labour-run council jacked up the salary of its chief executive by 7 per cent yesterday in defiance of calls for pay cuts.

Paul Walker’s inflation-busting rise takes his pay to £168,000.

Last night, the decision was condemned by trade unions as ‘morally indefensible’ and the Tories as unjustifiable.

The increase, in Hartlepool, comes as other Labour-led councils in the North are saying Government cuts mean they have no choice but to reduce services for children, the elderly, leisure and libraries, because they have no bureaucratic waste to slash.

In Hartlepool itself, hundreds of council jobs could go, unions say.

The authority is trying to cut its spending by 19 per cent – £14.2 million – and has warned of cuts to public services.

The pay rise was approved by the town’s mayor, Stuart Drummond, who said Mr Walker’s salary had not been reviewed since 2003.

However, the council’s accounts reveal that in the financial year to 2005 his pay was between £120,000 and £130,000.

That means the chief executive had already had increases worth 21 per cent over five years to take his pay to £157,205 before the latest decision to push it up.

Nice.

The elite continue the looting to the bitter end. No money for services but there is for the council chief, I'm betting that this generous pay award won't be given to all staff. They should go on strike until they get there 7% pay increase, plus the strike would help to secure some of the 19% savings.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The increase, in Hartlepool, comes as other Labour-led councils in the North are saying Government cuts mean they have no choice but to reduce services for children, the elderly, leisure and libraries, because they have no bureaucratic waste to slash.

:lol::lol:

HOLA447

http://www.dailymail...iefs-pay-7.html

Nice.

The elite continue the looting to the bitter end. No money for services but there is for the council chief, I'm betting that this generous pay award won't be given to all staff. They should go on strike until they get there 7% pay increase, plus the strike would help to secure some of the 19% savings.

Ah, but the committee that approves the cheifs pay, also benefits as differentials are maintained.

Mayor?....our local mayor is the guy who opens fetes and crowns the Carnival Queen....its a non post in most places....yet here, after crowning the Carnival Person, he approves the CEs salary.

HOLA448

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357677/Labour-run-council-defies-pay-cut-calls-hikes-council-chiefs-pay-7.html

Nice.

Corruption appears to be fife amongst the bureaucrats...a pay cap is essential

HOLA449

Hatchet men are at a premium in local government these days. The way to advance your career to the top has changed very rapidly.

Until recently, having a track record for 'change' was the key - bring in staff restructuring, put it on your CV, then move on, possibly leaving a mess for others to clear up. Now, though, 'change' equals cuts. It's the managers and top bosses who can about face and work with the 'enemy' and oversee cuts with efficiency who will reap the rewards in their salary cheques.

HOLA4410

Nice.

I bet this went down well with staff on 16K per annum and an indefinite pay freeze.

Wouldn't surprise me if this troffer has lectured staff on the need for cuts / we are all in it together....

HOLA4411

:lol::lol:

If you are hinting at toilet habits - his 'councillors' daily ritual 15min in his executive bog costs the taxpayer £23.00 each day!

(if I did me sums right) :P

HOLA4412

If you are hinting at toilet habits - his 'councillors' daily ritual 15min in his executive bog costs the taxpayer £23.00 each day!

(if I did me sums right) :P

nonsense, they have Ipoberries so they can work 24/7...