House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Heavy Rumours Of Political Scandal In Lib Dems

The entire Lib Dems are a scandal as far as I am concerned- and I voted for them. But will not do so again. In fact I will probably vote against the new electoral rules as well- having seen just how coalition works in the UK.

The Lib Dems ARE a big political scandal already. I say that as someone who always voted for them up to now. They abandoned all their principles except one, the belief in power sharing, which has led to their MPs propping up a Tory government that is carrying out policies which are the exact opposite of what Lib Dem voters voted for.

The mistake Nick Clegg made - with hindsight - is that he put his money where his mouth was regarding the Lib Dems' policy on power sharing at the expense of the party's political integrity on policy. What he should have done is had a voting arrangement with the Tories and not gone into a full coalition. If he'd done that the student tuition fee rises would have been less and so would the cuts to public services. If you're going to go into a coalition, it needs to be with a party that has a broadly similar political philosophy.

My new proposals for a fairer electoral system are that the House of Lords is replaced by a 'House of Deputies', with broadly the same powers. But this chamber would be made up from all the candidates who come SECOND in general elections. This would sit well with the House of Deputies having less power than the Commons - and it would probably give a lot more power to the Lib Dems - or would have done before they became Tory lobby fodder..

The Lib Dems ARE a big political scandal already. I say that as someone who always voted for them up to now. They abandoned all their principles except one, the belief in power sharing, which has led to their MPs propping up a Tory government that is carrying out policies which are the exact opposite of what Lib Dem voters voted for.

Very true, but I'd still bang Sarah Teather.

Very true, but I'd still bang Sarah Teather.

You are joking.

Sarah-Teather-MP-001.jpg

I'm open-minded and look for hidden qualities but sometimes you just have draw a line.

Is Jeremy Thorpe still with us. :unsure:

Yep, aged 81 - went to Eton.

Reading his Wiki page one can't help thinking, what a terrible come down. Still he didn't go to prison - unlike the member for Scunthorpe is.