House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Blanchflower: Unemployment To Get "much Worse"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financevideo/yourmoneytheirhands/8328721/Blanchflower-Jobs-market-turmoil.html

Job vacancies up 8,000, UK needs to add
. 2.5m

Danny has nailed it. Could not agree more.

House prices are well done burnt toast. But then again, so is everything else.

Emigration looms large on my horizon.

Edited by Realistbear

The number of contract and part-time jobs has soared relative to full-time work advertised. Nobody is able or wanting to take the risk of hiring permanent full-time employees on any significant scale.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financevideo/yourmoneytheirhands/8328721/Blanchflower-Jobs-market-turmoil.html

Job vacancies up 8,000, UK needs to add 250k

Did he not say 2.5 million over the next 4 years

Did he not say 2.5 million over the next 4 years

Yes :mellow:. That's 625,000 per year .... 12,019 per week ... 1,717 PER DAY ... it's not going to happen :o

Edited by Home_To_Roost

cutting those rates and QEing the value down has done wonders for margins.

+1 Margin erosion has been completely ignored by the government and commentators. Businesses are being squeezed from all sides - VAT up, currency down, employee tax up (NI). Of course they're not going to employ more people.

The UK as yet to have its recession, if we'd had one house prices wouldn't be where they are now.

The recession did happen in 2008 but was averted with ZIRP and QE in early 2009.

Job vacancies up 8,000, UK needs to add
. 2.5m

Can't watch it, as at work, but did he mention how his wife left him for another woman?

No?

Then I have no interest in another "if only we had lowered IRs even more and printed a few more trillion pounds like I said, everything would be all fine and dandy". :angry:

+1 Margin erosion has been completely ignored by the government and commentators. Businesses are being squeezed from all sides - VAT up, currency down, employee tax up (NI). Of course they're not going to employ more people.

The only places you find enormous margins are with BANKS where this rediculous 0.5% base rate has allowed them to rape savers of any meaningful interest and produce massive unwarranted profits, whilst at the same time not paying back the real cost of their rescue. It is most alarming that under Labours 13 years, the fiancial sector became 38% of the UK economy. Manufacturing slumped to a miserable 12%. It was 30% under Maggie and even then that was moaned about.

The only other fat margins that can be found are on incorrectly ruled printed paper.

Edited by plummet expert

Of course it's going to get worse especially youth unemployment, the massive con of getting hundreds of thousands doing degrees for 3 years is coming to an end with tuition fee increases. Those people now won't be going to Uni, nor will they get jobs. The only option left will be to sign on.

Things of course are going to get a lot worse, especially when you factor in all the public sector job cuts looming.

For all of you who are saying that you want to move abroad now, though... Surely when things are at their worst is when prices will be at their lowest. Sort of like investing when you should buy at low prices and sell high, why move abroad when you can finally benefit from all your years of waiting - the place might go down the toilet a bit but you will have gotten what you wanted, no?

On the other hand I see the attraction of moving...

For all of you who are saying that you want to move abroad now, though... Surely when things are at their worst is when prices will be at their lowest. Sort of like investing when you should buy at low prices and sell high, why move abroad when you can finally benefit from all your years of waiting - the place might go down the toilet a bit but you will have gotten what you wanted, no?

You are assuming it is going to get measurably better.

Structurally what has been done to this economy is now largely unfixable - there is almost no will to radically change anything and the blind hope fo throwing some more debt at the systems when the debt was one of the most damaging causes of the problems means that there is absolutely no will to turn things around.

The thing is part time is totally skewed when you have tax credits and JSA manipulating near the NMW pay packet.

aged under 24, you get no tax credits

aged 16+ Make a baby work 16 hours a week, heres whatever they get for 16 hours.

aged 25+ 16 hours a week, you get nothing

aged 25+ 30 hours a week, heres +45 quid a week

Your talking 1 1/2 days free money tax free a week while working a 30 hour week. most people would rather a temporary full time job over a part time job.

The UK as yet to have its recession, if we'd had one house prices wouldn't be where they are now.

Recession lite, I would call it, not as bad as 90's and miles of the early 80's. However it is going to be a long one, usualy 5 years before real people notice improvement.

The recession did happen in 2008 but was averted with ZIRP and QE in early 2009.

Recession as per govt stats, bankers and politicians, howeveer little evidence to the rest of us that we are out of recession. Stats talk about GDP growth etc, real people think in terms of unemployment, pay cuts and now inflation etc.

Yep sell up now for cheap, go to Aus and get a naff exchange rate, arrive at the booms peak, buy a house, get slaghtered when they have their recession, loose you job for being the last one in (and being a pom) then come back to UK with 1/4 your money on account exchange rate shifting dramaticaly. Much better to go to Eurozone if anywhere

I am not convinced they are burnt toast RB - if people lose their jobs then they are forced to sell when redundancy runs out... which could be a year away...

But most people still in work are going to stay where they are in houses that have doubled and tripled in 8 years. Low IRs is saving them.

F*** off Danny, you T^T!

You could tell me that the sun was going to appear tomorrow morning and I'd STILL think that you had a hidden communist agenda.

Total C***

F*** off Danny, you T^T!

You could tell me that the sun was going to appear tomorrow morning and I'd STILL think that you had a hidden communist agenda.

Total C***

You wouldn't exactly have a pint with him then :lol: