House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Is There A Murderers Register?

With all the publicity about the sex offenders register, it occurs to me that there isn't a murderers and/or violent criminals register, or is there?

Why is a sex offender considered worse than a murderer, who as far as I know is free to do as he pleases with no reporting restrictions once his sentence is completed.

With all the publicity about the sex offenders register, it occurs to me that there isn't a murderers and/or violent criminals register, or is there?

Why is a sex offender considered worse than a murderer, who as far as I know is free to do as he pleases with no reporting restrictions once his sentence is completed.

Someone once told me most murders are "crimes of passion". So possibly its very unlikely they will reoffend. Whereas a paedo has urges they will act on and hence is more likely to reoffend presumably?

Very good point. There's such hysteria about sex. We're worse than the Victorians. Kids can't be cuddled when they hurt themselves at school etc etc.

Then we wonder why society is full of disfunctional adults.

All a load of neurotic crap.

Someone once told me most murders are "crimes of passion". So possibly its very unlikely they will reoffend. Whereas a paedo has urges they will act on and hence is more likely to reoffend presumably?

"most murders" - very likely. "most rapes" too, where's the difference? If the courts and probation service has any useful purpose, it should be to make such judgements.

Hormone-driven sex drive diminishes (gradually) with age. Unlikely even Mr Berlusconi could perform more than once in a night like a young man (yeah, OK, that's pure speculation). A tearaway youth can become a respectable older man. If uncontrollable urges are the problem, then surely time is a solution.

The recidivism rate for sex offenders is higher than most other crimes.

There appears to be only limited success with behavioural therapy, and the things that do work ("chemical castration") are not mandated in the UK.

The recidivism rate for sex offenders is higher than most other crimes.

There appears to be only limited success with behavioural therapy, and the things that do work ("chemical castration") are not mandated in the UK.

That sounds reasonable, although I wonder what the recidivism rate is for violent career criminals.

That sounds reasonable, although I wonder what the recidivism rate is for violent career criminals.

For crimes like armed robbery I am guessing it would be high. For murder, probably low, with the exception of serial killers who are thankfully rare.

Muderers are on continual life licence after release so, in one sense, there is.

Motoring offences are on a lifelong register. A speeding offence ( doing 40mph in a 30mph stretch of dual carriageway ) from 1964 still remains on my file. £5 fine and three points on my licence. Got of lightly because I was driving a 25 ton thames trader fully loaded artic at the time. I was three years underage at the time with just a car licence but no one picked up on it. I must have looked older. I think the copper was still in shock after stepping out into the road to stop me and me only just managing to stop in time before running him over. I was more worried about jack knifing than the copper standing in the road.

Motoring offences are on a lifelong register. A speeding offence ( doing 40mph in a 30mph stretch of dual carriageway ) from 1964 still remains on my file. £5 fine and three points on my licence. Got of lightly because I was driving a 25 ton thames trader fully loaded artic at the time. I was three years underage at the time with just a car licence but no one picked up on it. I must have looked older. I think the copper was still in shock after stepping out into the road to stop me and me only just managing to stop in time before running him over. I was more worried about jack knifing than the copper standing in the road.

Yes, all offences are effectively on a life-long register. The point about life licence though is that the state still retains some element of control over you/. You are still serving your sentence and can be recalled to prison at any time, even before you have been convicted. You also have to provide your address details every time you move, etc.

Indeed. Im a scaredy cat anyway. Almost every week in the local paper theres a someone glassed or stabbed in one of the pubs. Why cant the paper publish mugshots of these violent thugs. Given the judges never lock them up, id at least like to know who to give a wide berth.

is it against their 'uman rites'?

Muderers are on continual life licence after release so, in one sense, there is.

Surely that's only in the case of a life sentence. If the sentence is a determinate one, the offender is free as a bird after their time is up.

"most murders" - very likely. "most rapes" too, where's the difference?

Totally different things in my opinion, I'm sure many people could in a fit of rage pick something up and hit somebody with it, be a frying pan or knife. It's over and done with in a second and I'm sure in a vast majority of the cases there is an instant realisation you have done something seriously wrong, unfortunately you can't go back, the person is dead.

Raping somebody is totally different it's an act which lasts long enough for the person doing it to be aware of the consequence of what they are doing.

Surely that's only in the case of a life sentence. If the sentence is a determinate one, the offender is free as a bird after their time is up.

But since a life sentance is mandatory for murder only the former applies.

But since a life sentance is mandatory for murder only the former applies.

At the moment...

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/Sentencing%20review%20Prison%20Reform%20Trust%20submission%2030%20July%202010.pdf

The Prison Reform Trust recommends the abolition of the mandatory life sentence for

murder. Various contributions to the debate on ‘Law Reform: Murder’ in the House of Lords

on 1st March 2007 set out the background to the present arrangements and the arguments in

favour of a discretionary sentence for the single offence of homicide. Among the many

relevant comments were:

Murder carries a mandatory life sentence.