House Price Crash Forum

Expats Put Off Returning To Austerity Britain

Well the Kiwi's reckon it's pretty good. From the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship: "At 30 June 2010, an estimated 566 815 New Zealand citizens were present in Australia." That doesn't include the ones they don't know about or those that have become Australian citizens, so watdaya reckon over a million?, at least.

There was a saying that you don't hear much now which went "Last person to leave New Zealand please turn out the lights".

Wow, that's surprising! Perhaps it's different if you're a tourist? I'd say I enjoyed NZ 10x more. I might be a minority?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the even more classic saying

kiwis leaving for Australia raise the IQ of both countries!

I heard a Kiwi tell an Australian the following joke:

"Why do all the seagulls fly upside down in Australia mate?"

"Dunno?"

"Cause it's not worth sh1tting on!"

Good sporting rivals!

Edited by Xurbia

Did you visit Gloucester? I don't understand the high crime rate in the US. Perhaps they just put people inside and don't mess around? The statistics must be bent because I'm just not seeing the violence here. I've been drunk in bars at 3am and nothing has happened. I've wondered around the city and seen nothing. Perhaps I've got a guardian angel? Go to any club in the Brighton area and you'll see people glassed and having their jaws broken.

This country has always been characterised by youth violence. The pinpall wizard era when the Mods and Rockers used to plan pitched battles on Brighton seafront.

The US violence that I have observed does seem to be highly concentrated in the ghettos of the big cities where they are large numbers of homeys (Mexican-S Americans) or Mo-fos (African American culture). The Asians are also extremely violent but none compare with the S Americans who make Italian kids look like angels. But most of the US seemed to be relatively peaceful, especially compared with our Chavalier hot spots that would include Gloucester and any other similar sized city.

Edited by Realistbear

This country has always been characterised by youth violence. The pinpall wizard era when the Mods and Rockers used to plan pitched battles on Brighton seafront.

The US violence that I have observed does seem to be highly concentrated in the ghettos of the big cities where they are large numbers of homeys (Mexican-S Americans) or Mo-fos (African American culture). The Asians are also extremely violent but none compare with the S Americans who make Italian kids look like angels. But most of the US seemed to be relatively peaceful, especially compared with our Chavalier hot spots that would include Gloucester and any other similar sized city.

Wow, I be darned, never spected ta sea me Glaw-ster writ about on ear, like.

But I must agree, certainly not the best place to walk around at night time!

Lunch time not bril either, if I pops into that city centre 'pub' (big chain) for a cheap pint it's full of pushchairs (just like Tewkesbury and Ross-on-Wye versions of the same chain, from our personal experience).

Things have changed alot from how it was about 40 years ago, I can't recall 'park and ride', or pubs being pushchair parks when I was about 20!

(we was working and saving like mad to buy our first home).

Have things improved ?

I find these emigration threads quite funny. I first came across this site in July 2005. I'm sure just about every poster that was moaning about the UK back then and stating how they were going to emigrate elsewhere is still on here moaning about the UK and stating how they are going to emigrate.

:lol:

The UK isn't perfect but on balance (for the average British Joe) there are not many places that are so vastly superior that they'd be worth emigrating to.

I lived overseas for 15 years and still like it here. It's not all chavs, football and celebs, not that you'd think so to read some of these posts. There is another UK if you want it, though I suspect many UK-loathers only see what they want to see, i.e. so they can enjoy slagging it off.

What I don't understand is why so many people who apparently dislike this country so much and are either leaving or have left already, are on this site at all.

If they've got property to sell you'd think they'd want prices to go up, not down.

If they haven't, and aren't planning to buy here anyway, what do they care what happens to house prices?

Moved to HK just over a year ago and it's the best thing I ever did, don't think I'm ever going back.

Amazingly convenient lifestyle, great nightlife, loads of Brits to hang out with (and no chavs ever make it as far as here either), great travel opportunities, better weather (except the odd typhoon which means you don't have to go to work), taxis so cheap you can travel everywhere by cab if you feel like it, lots of beaches (believe it or not), swimming pool and gym just downstairs, short ferry ride to Macau - and, of course, ridiculously low income tax, and no NI, no council tax, no CGT. I paid my first tax bill last month and the amount was laughable, about what I used to pay in a month in the UK.

Somebody above said some expats can't afford to move back to the UK - absolutely, if I went back I would be throwing away about 40-50k a year to subsidise other people's mortgages or let them sit at home watching Bargain Hunt, I really can't afford to do that. Only problem is housing is definitely not cheap here, even by UK standards, but at least it's tax deductible. Singapore is a similar deal, just a lot hotter and better spoken English.

The UK has been extremely blasé about the prospect of people moving overseas in greater numbers to Asia, Switzerland etc and the attitude seems to be "we don't want those people anyway" (e.g. financial services employees, hedge funds). The fact is that from my experience the people who are moving overseas tend to be the higher earners, and those tax revenues will be lost forever, leaving less and less money to subsidise those who choose not to work as a lifestyle choice, and whatever position the UK still clings onto in the world is already almost gone. I can only see things getting much worse over there once the cuts really bite hard. Sad really.

You've nailed it. Just recently my friends back home have been complaining more than ever. I think everyone has suddenly woken up to the crap hitting the fan.

I now realise just how many horrible thugs live in the UK. There's always some nasty pieces of work in every UK town causing trouble. The school girls all dress like prostitutes and act like slags when they eventually start drinking. It's embarrassing. Britain feels lawless compared to Seattle. Too many human rights for the wrong people.

That'sa actually one of the benefits of living in this place. :lol:

I returned here 6 years ago after 15 years in Japan. I wouldn't be returning now though, not enough jobs to go around for the wife and I. Timming is everything.

Thinking of returning to austerity Britain? I'd give it a miss...

But yet the population of the UK is shooting upwards - I wonder why? Could it be third world immigration and the immigrant baby boom taking place? They'll be here for all those millions of jobs being created, oh........ :unsure:

Only 3 more days til I'm in sunny France. Even if house prices dropped by another 50% I wouldn't want to stay in this dump anyway.

Tick tock tick tock :D

I lived overseas for 15 years and still like it here. It's not all chavs, football and celebs, not that you'd think so to read some of these posts. There is another UK if you want it, though I suspect many UK-loathers only see what they want to see, i.e. so they can enjoy slagging it off.

What I don't understand is why so many people who apparently dislike this country so much and are either leaving or have left already, are on this site at all.

If they've got property to sell you'd think they'd want prices to go up, not down.

If they haven't, and aren't planning to buy here anyway, what do they care what happens to house prices?

I think the general idea of those moaning is that if property prices stay elevated here they would be better off emigrating as high property prices here would lead to them having a lower standard of living than in some other places, I myself know that if property prices don't drop here I would be better off living in mainland Europe ( I don't have massive wedges of UK cash so the devaluation isn't that relevant to me)

The UK isn't all bad if you live in a decent part of the country. However I lived in France for 5 years and there is very little that is better about the UK other than the driving/courtesy on the roads as someone mentioned in a previous post

My OH lived in Australia for years and he prefers the UK other than the weather of course

I think the general idea of those moaning is that if property prices stay elevated here they would be better off emigrating as high property prices here would lead to them having a lower standard of living than in some other places, I myself know that if property prices don't drop here I would be better off living in mainland Europe ( I don't have massive wedges of UK cash so the devaluation isn't that relevant to me)

The UK isn't all bad if you live in a decent part of the country. However I lived in France for 5 years and there is very little that is better about the UK other than the driving/courtesy on the roads as someone mentioned in a previous post

My OH lived in Australia for years and he prefers the UK other than the weather of course

True. I don't have it in for the UK per se - I know that all countries have their problems, swings and roundabouts etc (though the swings and roundabouts in the UK are liable to be covered in dog sh*t or have chavs sitting on them) I am just fed up with the way HMG is willing to crash the entire economy rather than let house prices normalise. I've decided I would rather exploit the differential in living costs by taking my UK salary to a country with lower costs of living (and which did not permit the British BTL locusts to ruin their economy). I realise things would be difficult if I lose my job and I have back up plans to teach English (my g/f has already lined me up with a pupil!).

And before anybody says I have no right to complain about immigrants when I will be one myself, I would add I will not be taking a job from anyone or any benefits and I intend to speak the language and abide by the customs and laws of that country and publicly observe its religion, which is more than I can say for some of our guests in the UK.

True. I don't have it in for the UK per se - I know that all countries have their problems, swings and roundabouts etc (though the swings and roundabouts in the UK are liable to be covered in dog sh*t or have chavs sitting on them) I am just fed up with the way HMG is willing to crash the entire economy rather than let house prices normalise. I've decided I would rather exploit the differential in living costs by taking my UK salary to a country with lower costs of living (and which did not permit the British BTL locusts to ruin their economy). I realise things would be difficult if I lose my job and I have back up plans to teach English (my g/f has already lined me up with a pupil!).

And before anybody says I have no right to complain about immigrants when I will be one myself, I would add I will not be taking a job from anyone or any benefits and I intend to speak the language and abide by the customs and laws of that country and publicly observe its religion, which is more than I can say for some of our guests in the UK.

Good on yer Mr. Allegro, go for it and dont look back

Yes the UK is very badly run with regards to housing policy and that does make a huge difference to standard of living here if you don't already own a house. I'm sure that this alone would be a huge factor in most young peoples decisions to emigrate

Good luck with your new life. BTW. When I lived in France I spoke French and mixed in with the locals and didn't seem to arouse their ire as did the Brits who lived in little British enclaves

I'm moving to Hungary next month. I met my girlfriend while there on holiday and initially I assumed she would want to move to the UK but when we thought about it, it made more sense for me to go there. I do my work online so will continue to draw a UK salary. Although the language is tricky I am starting to pick it up (and most younger people speak good English anyway). Yes the country is a bit shabby round the edges but their lifestyles are more about community, family, culture, food and drink, the outdoors etc, not ridiculous snobbery, house prices and wandering around shopping centres. I particularly love the way in Hungary you can be 'cultured' without being seen as a snob - it's perfectly normal to like opera, ballet, art, etc and to talk about these things with friends instead of football and celebrities.

Family and friends aside, most of what I like about Britain has gone or is going - thanks in part to Labour's decade of greed, control freakery and cultural self hatred.

I know the grass is always greener though - ask me how I feel about it in a years' time!

Think hungarian are busy escaping and their government are close to defaulting.

You sure that is such a place to go ?

Sure, I know all that - but the population are used to austerity and are 'better placed' to cope with it, unlike in the UK where panic sets in if petrol goes up 2p a litre. There's more of a self reliant culture in central and eastern Europe. I lived in the Himalayas for a while so to be honest basic conditions, power cuts etc don't worry me too much as long as there are non-materialistic compensations such as friendly people, culture, etc.

I think most of the 'escaping' is by young Hungarians keen to work abroad for a few years, not because they don't like their country.

Sure, I know all that - but the population are used to austerity and are 'better placed' to cope with it, unlike in the UK where panic sets in if petrol goes up 2p a litre. There's more of a self reliant culture in central and eastern Europe. I lived in the Himalayas for a while so to be honest basic conditions, power cuts etc don't worry me too much as long as there are non-materialistic compensations such as friendly people, culture, etc.

I think most of the 'escaping' is by young Hungarians keen to work abroad for a few years, not because they don't like their country.

And I have heard the birds are incredible ?

PS - what were you doing in the Himalayas ?

I'm thinking of emigrating and Hungary is one of the places I'm looking at. It's true gov. bonds are one rating above junk status and the talk last summer was of sovereign debt default, but just recently, as of the start of the year, bond yields and CDSs are both down, and the Orban government is committed to reducing the deficit. Is it contained, like Ireland is contained, or really contain contained? Time will tell. With the obnoxious ultra-nationalist Jobbik party waiting in the wings this might be Hungary's Weimar Republic moment.

As for property prices, Hungary has just has it's own massive HPC thanks to the retreat of Irish mug money, excuse me, property investment capital and the the uptick in the value of the swiss franc in which currency most mortgages were held. It's madness that an exporting country like Hungary isn't devaluing it's way back into the black, but it can't precisely because it would precipitate a banking crisis due to all that fx mortgage debt. That said rental yields are high and capital costs low in Budapest and the foreclosure moratorium ends on April the 15th, so maybe there are crack up bargains to be had.