House Price Crash Forum

Expats Put Off Returning To Austerity Britain

HOLA441

In January I returned to England after several years living in AUZ/East Europe and Thailand though i will be away every other month once work starts again.

But after the hoops i am having to jump through to rent a place with the having a baby, the unbelievable amount of bureaucracy involved, the cold weather, the miserable unfriendly people and that feeling of constantly being watched that you only get in a police state ... ive decided once the contract im about to sign is finished in 6 months i am leaving for at least another 5 years when i may come back for my daughters education .... though i may put returning for that until she is 12 ie another 11 years.

The best thing about Britain is the Supermarket food prices are the best anywhere in the world, and people drive with consideration apart from that it offers very little!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

In January I returned to England after several years living in AUZ/East Europe and Thailand though i will be away every other month once work starts again.

But after the hoops i am having to jump through to rent a place with the having a baby, the unbelievable amount of bureaucracy involved, the cold weather, the miserable unfriendly people and that feeling of constantly being watched that you only get in a police state ... ive decided once the contract im about to sign is finished in 6 months i am leaving for at least another 5 years when i may come back for my daughters education .... though i may put returning for that until she is 12 ie another 11 years.

The best thing about Britain is the Supermarket food prices are the best anywhere in the world, and people drive with consideration apart from that it offers very little!

You forgot one thing - Our birds are probably the filthiest on Earth. With the possible exception of Australia.

That is not something to be sniffed at.

HOLA443

I returned last August and it has been an experience, I shall not outstay my welcome in this wonderful land too much longer

Temp visit for us too. Returned here in November, going back by the end of Feb. :D

The cost of living (food, clothes, etc.) is CHEAPER in the UK, but the quality of life in France is well worth the extra cost.

Mind you the car will be full of baked beans, brown sause, horlicks, etc. :rolleyes:

Yes, we are fortunate to be a certain age!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Manhattan or Greenwich Village in NYC is also an excellent city to live in the eastern side of the US. Pretty good vibe all round, plenty to see and do, arguably the best restaurants and bars in the world. I did prefer it when it when the Big Apple was rotten to the core but it still is one of my favourite cities even after the clean up.

New York is class - however I do prefer Chicago - by quite a lot.

HOLA447

PS. For those who are considering moving to the US, don't forget to factor in health insurance. When we last lived there (2008) our health insurance was $20,000/yr for a family of three. I kid you not.

I don't understand why your health insurance was so high? My last company plan was $1200 per year for the best plan you can get and nothing for emergency cover. My wife and I are currently on her plan and it's $150 a month for both of us.

If you're taking up sponsored work in the USA it's not unusual to get healthcare in the package. I don't think your $20K is typical.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA448
HOLA449

I would suggest a correction to your last sentence: ' Housing was definitely cheaper in most destinations'. The UK led the housing bubble and other countries followed. Add in the depreciation of GBP and property in many developed countries starts to look ominously expensive.

Yeah, our house has gone from about 135,000 UKP to 200,000 in the last three years (and would have been around 100,000 three years before that). Anyone emigrating now with a significant amount of pounds to take with them is being really screwed by the exchange rate.

HOLA4410

I returned last August and it has been an experience, I shall not outstay my welcome in this wonderful land too much longer

What is there to return to? Employers who drain you of your last drop of blood and expect only your heart and soul in return. Petty laws and regulations that demand you put your rubbish into 5 different bins, with cameras watching your every move.

The overwhelming obsession with soccer and its detritus, with vapid celebrities, tatoos, obesity, estuary English and the lowest common denominator in all things. And still, in this squalid fractured society, unbelievably, the continuing fixation with accent, class and school. Will they ever learn?

3 months a year will do it for me. Just pop back and watch the cricket in the summer months. F*#@ Merv and Ossie and their houses.

HOLA4411

I find these emigration threads quite funny. I first came across this site in July 2005. I'm sure just about every poster that was moaning about the UK back then and stating how they were going to emigrate elsewhere is still on here moaning about the UK and stating how they are going to emigrate.

:lol:

The UK isn't perfect but on balance (for the average British Joe) there are not many places that are so vastly superior that they'd be worth emigrating to.

HOLA4412

I find these emigration threads quite funny. I first came across this site in July 2005. I'm sure just about every poster that was moaning about the UK back then and stating how they were going to emigrate elsewhere is still on here moaning about the UK and stating how they are going to emigrate.

The UK isn't perfect but on balance (for the average British Joe) there are not many places that are so vastly superior that they'd be worth emigrating to.

we are thinking very strongly about coming back to the UK, theres not enough Diversity Outreach officers here and despite checking everywhere they simply dont sell Pot Noodles

HOLA4413

I think Seattle and San Diego are equally nice places. I wouldn't fancy the winter over in Chicago either but still a stunning city. I guess locations are like people; you need to assess each one on its own merits. Britain has some stunning places I'd like to live but there's no work for me to go with them! Christchurch, New Zealand would be my ultimate city because of the access to the South Island and the friendly people. Trouble is it's miles from anywhere.

miles from anywhere is a bonus :D

HOLA4414

Judging by the amount of English people that have relocated to Australia only to find that they passionately hate:

the Australians, the culture, their work mates, their boss, their underlings, the shops, the prices, the TV, the food, the restaurants, the band scene, the clubs, the price of a pint, the rent, the house prices, the scenery, the indigenous culture, the press, the politicos, the economy, the bureaucracy, weather board houses, the internet speed, the choices, the English people on TV here, the spelling, the grammar, the cricket, the rugby, the soccer, the heat, the cold, the weather, the dust and the flies,

I would strongly recommend that they do not relocate to Australia.

don't forget the flies!!

HOLA4415

But the problem is that as these other places are quietly improving GB is rapidly getting worse . The slippage over the last 10 years has been staggering to watch.

HOLA4416

miles from anywhere is a bonus :D

It was a tough choice. I could have settled into life very easily in Auckland or Christchurch. Seattle is similar in a way. There's a temperate rainforest, volcanoes and good seafood. I'd never see family in Britain if I'd have opted for NZ. That journey is a killer. It's an awesome place. I'm constantly surprised when people waste their time on Australia. They might spend 2 months in Australia and 2 weeks in NZ. Crazy stuff. Might get back down there for some more climbing up at Mount Cook one day. I think I've completed nearly every hike there.....apart from the Dusky.

HOLA4417

But the problem is that as these other places are quietly improving GB is rapidly getting worse . The slippage over the last 10 years has been staggering to watch.

You've nailed it. Just recently my friends back home have been complaining more than ever. I think everyone has suddenly woken up to the crap hitting the fan.

I now realise just how many horrible thugs live in the UK. There's always some nasty pieces of work in every UK town causing trouble. The school girls all dress like prostitutes and act like slags when they eventually start drinking. It's embarrassing. Britain feels lawless compared to Seattle. Too many human rights for the wrong people.

HOLA4418

I don't understand why your health insurance was so high? My last company plan was $1200 per year for the best plan you can get and nothing for emergency cover. My wife and I are currently on her plan and it's $150 a month for both of us.

If you're taking up sponsored work in the USA it's not unusual to get healthcare in the package. I don't think your $20K is typical.

My husband was working as an independent consultant when we lived in the States, and we bought the BEST insurance we could find (we have a special needs son, and there are a lot of things we needed covered which many conventional insurance companies do not cover).

But I don't think that $20,000/yr is out of the ball park. I know many Americans who pay a few thousand a month for healh insurance. But if you work for a company who is willing to pay the majority of the premium, that's a bonus. However, I think that benefit is becoming more and more rare.

Anyway health insurance is a big deal in America. If you don't have it, you pretty much better be VERY well off. One hospital visit, and you could be out of pocket a million dollars.

PS. We moved from Seattle (Greenlake in fact) to the UK. I like Seattle, it's beautiful. But as an American I just can't live in my country any longer. It's depressing as hell. Perhaps that is what many British people feel like here.

Edited by mel in w9

HOLA4419

It was a tough choice. I could have settled into life very easily in Auckland or Christchurch. Seattle is similar in a way. There's a temperate rainforest, volcanoes and good seafood. I'd never see family in Britain if I'd have opted for NZ. That journey is a killer. It's an awesome place. I'm constantly surprised when people waste their time on Australia. They might spend 2 months in Australia and 2 weeks in NZ. Crazy stuff. Might get back down there for some more climbing up at Mount Cook one day. I think I've completed nearly every hike there.....apart from the Dusky.

I am loking forward to my return and I can get everything that I want in NZ.

HOLA4420

You've nailed it. Just recently my friends back home have been complaining more than ever. I think everyone has suddenly woken up to the crap hitting the fan.

I now realise just how many horrible thugs live in the UK. There's always some nasty pieces of work in every UK town causing trouble. The school girls all dress like prostitutes and act like slags when they eventually start drinking. It's embarrassing. Britain feels lawless compared to Seattle. Too many human rights for the wrong people.

British youth is extremely chavvy with only a minority that you could call "normal" compared with many other English speaking countries. The US has a high crime rate and it has much to to with ghetto culture (Homeys and the M-Fers) that is not indigenous in the sense of being that which was imported during the years of mass German-Irish-English migration.

I live near Brighton and it is extremely rough compared with Stratford-on-Avon where I lived before moving south. Not wanting to sound snobby, but local accents are so rough they would shock Del Boy.

HOLA4421

My husband was working as an independent consultant when we lived in the States, and we bought the BEST insurance we could find (we have a special needs son, and there are a lot of things we needed covered which many conventional insurance companies do not cover).

But I don't think that $20,000/yr is out of the ball park. I know many Americans who pay a few thousand a month for healh insurance. But if you work for a company who is willing to pay the majority of the premium, that's a bonus. However, I think that benefit is becoming more and more rare.

Anyway health insurance is a big deal in America. If you don't have it, you pretty much better be VERY well off. One hospital visit, and you could be out of pocket a million dollars.

PS. We moved from Seattle (Greenlake in fact) to the UK. I like Seattle, it's beautiful. But as an American I just can't live in my country any longer. It's depressing as hell. Perhaps that is what many British people feel like here.

My wife is American and she much prefers this country. She arrived here with me at a very young age and has become anglicized over the years. We like to visit the states but just find the culture, or whatever it is, bland. As much as I detest the corruption in this country and the open door migration policy the rest of it is bearable. Now, if we could just see a further 40% or so off house prices it would be worth staying provided one has an escape hatch to a place in Spain or Portugal for t' winter.

HOLA4422

Sounds like I'm lucky with the healthcare. There are no restrictions whatsoever. The surgery is also empty and the doctor is the best of the best. I live in Magnolia village and wouldn't move for anything. I can see the Olympics and Puget Sound from my bedroom window. There's no violence here. I always expect it but it never comes. I frequently go down to Pioneer Square and never see problems. In Britain I saw a couple of incidents straight after I headed out of Gatwick. Have you ever been to a British cinema? It's like a zoo because nobody behaves. I go to the cinema here a couple of times a month. You may not notice it but there's a disgusting undercurrent in Britain which you'll see eventually. Too many people in too little space.

I don't have any prior history with America, so everything just seems great to me. People are polite and very erudite. America has been run down by Bush and now by Obama but it will recover. The gloom is lifting slowly. It's home now.

HOLA4423

I'm constantly surprised when people waste their time on Australia.

Well the Kiwi's reckon it's pretty good. From the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship: "At 30 June 2010, an estimated 566 815 New Zealand citizens were present in Australia." That doesn't include the ones they don't know about or those that have become Australian citizens, so watdaya reckon over a million?, at least.

There was a saying that you don't hear much now which went "Last person to leave New Zealand please turn out the lights".

HOLA4424

British youth is extremely chavvy with only a minority that you could call "normal" compared with many other English speaking countries. The US has a high crime rate and it has much to to with ghetto culture (Homeys and the M-Fers) that is not indigenous in the sense of being that which was imported during the years of mass German-Irish-English migration.

I live near Brighton and it is extremely rough compared with Stratford-on-Avon where I lived before moving south. Not wanting to sound snobby, but local accents are so rough they would shock Del Boy.

Did you visit Gloucester? I don't understand the high crime rate in the US. Perhaps they just put people inside and don't mess around? The statistics must be bent because I'm just not seeing the violence here. I've been drunk in bars at 3am and nothing has happened. I've wondered around the city and seen nothing. Perhaps I've got a guardian angel? Go to any club in the Brighton area and you'll see people glassed and having their jaws broken.

HOLA4425

Well the Kiwi's reckon it's pretty good. From the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship: "At 30 June 2010, an estimated 566 815 New Zealand citizens were present in Australia." That doesn't include the ones they don't know about or those that have become Australian citizens, so watdaya reckon over a million?, at least.

There was a saying that you don't hear much now which went "Last person to leave New Zealand please turn out the lights".

and the even more classic saying

kiwis leaving for Australia raise the IQ of both countries!