House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Expats Put Off Returning To Austerity Britain

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Expats-cancel-plans-return-tele-246970434.html?x=0

Expats cancel plans to return to Britain
Leah Hyslop, 14:37, Wednesday 16 February 2011
Research suggests that the number of expats planning to return to Britain has begun to drop significantly, as they are put off by the idea of living in 'austerity Britain'.
Ever since the start of the economic crisis in 2007, the media has been flooded with reports of expats being forced to move back to Britain by financial hardship. Particularly affected have been those Britons living in Europe (news) , where the weakness of sterling against the euro has caused dramatic rises in the cost of living.
In 2010, the currency dealer Moneycorp reported a four-fold increase in the number of expats in Europe returning to Britain compared with 2009, while currencies.co.uk said that it had seen a 38 per cent jump in the number of retired expats selling their properties in the same time period.
A new report, however, suggests that this trend could finally be reversing. According to a survey of nearly 900 expats carried out by Lloyds TSB International , a significant number of expats (67 per cent) now say they have no plans to return to Britain, compared with 56 per cent just six months before - a drop of 11 per cent. Furthermore, 65 per cent said they were confident that their financial outlook was better in their new country of residence than in Britain, while only 14 per cent thought that they would benefit financially from moving back.

I am seriously considering leaving and I wonder how many others are. This HPC has taken far too long and the aftermath is going to be awful. Far worse than if they had just let houses go when it started a couple of years ago. But oh no, lets get SMI going, keep IR below prudent levels, bail out the greedy BTLers etc etc. Fools--they will reap a far greater whirlwind as a result.

Edited by Realistbear

I've been checking how long it takes to get a Swiss passport.

Sadly it takes 12 years unless you're married to a Swissie.

I don't want to go back to the UK.

I mean, WTF?

Even now after a 40% currency move, house prices are better in France neighbouring Geneva than anywhere decent in the UK, when you compare like for like(square metres etc). This doesn't make any kind of sense.

I returned last August and it has been an experience, I shall not outstay my welcome in this wonderful land too much longer

Edited by Patfig

Where would you go?

Obamas america. Also visa problems. Not saying its bad, but its no longer the america i new once.

Australia- Bubble

Europe? Same boat bar germany. Language barrier. But maybe

New Zealand? Remote, and another bubble.

Any ideas?

OK, RB, I think we need to have a serious chat now about your metaphors.

Job losses are "the trigger", but now you are saying that ex-pats not returning are "another nail in the coffin", implying that HPC is already dead?

I would have expected more consistent metaphors from an ex-barrister such as yourself.

:P

Job losses are "the trigger", but now you are saying that ex-pats not returning are "another nail in the coffin", implying that HPC is already dead?

I would have expected more consistent metaphors from an ex-barrister such as yourself.

barrister or barista?

I returned here 6 years ago after 15 years in Japan. I wouldn't be returning now though, not enough jobs to go around for the wife and I. Timming is everything.

Thinking of returning to austerity Britain? I'd give it a miss...

More seriously, much as I would like it to be, I don't really see this as anything but a short term blip for HPI (if any)

If tehy delay for a year, then they have 1 years more spending power when they eventually do return to the UK.

I've been checking how long it takes to get a Swiss passport.

Sadly it takes 12 years unless you're married to a Swissie.

I don't want to go back to the UK.

I mean, WTF?

Even now after a 40% currency move, house prices are better in France neighbouring Geneva than anywhere decent in the UK, when you compare like for like(square metres etc). This doesn't make any kind of sense.

Why do you need a Swiss passport? I'm presuming you've got a permit B or C, as long as you keep your nose clean it's like having a Swiss passport.

Wasn't it a nail in the house price INFLATION coffin, NOT house price CRASH.

Where would you go?

Obamas america. Also visa problems. Not saying its bad, but its no longer the america i new once.

Australia- Bubble

Europe? Same boat bar germany. Language barrier. But maybe

New Zealand? Remote, and another bubble.

Any ideas?

The US is never characterised by its Presidents which is a good thing. They only last 4 years and occasionaly 8.

O'Bama is gone in a year or so leaving the Republic much as it was, struggling like the rest of the world.

The people in the US are generally a decent bunch, a bit Germanic for my tastes, but you find your circle. Tough call on where to go as the West Coast is the only viable place IMO.

Edited by Realistbear

Having worked abroad during most of 2000-2008 but kept my UK base (and paid full tax) I finally left in late 2008. Got to say I am so glad I did. I think my life expectancy has increased 10 years through less stress and worry. In the UK I was always worried about what taxation was going up next...Council Tax, fuel tax, income tax......now I just worry if I need my shades on today.

I believe the Uk will bounce back in 5-8 years time...until then I will stick to the Sun, Sand and Sangria....oh and i still work!

Come on then, tell us all about it.

Well its been good fun, I havent seen any sunshine for 3 months and it costs 6 quid for a gallon of petrol........ the fish and chips are fab though

Wasn't it a nail in the house price INFLATION coffin, NOT house price CRASH.

This true. Every little helps and ex-pats returning might imply more demand for houses. Some might decide their properties in this country and burn bridges. More supply.

Yes, I am seriously considering leaving too. I am considering Germany, France and Luxembourg. Language barrier doesn't bother me much as I speak reasonable French and pick up languages easily as does my husband. He has skills that are in demand pretty much anywhere so that's not an issue. I have also lived in Europe before and much prefer it to the UK. The only thing that is keeping us here atm is my work (self employed) which is not that profitable but I enjoy the work.

Research suggests that the number of expats planning to return to Britain has begun to drop significantly, as they are put off by the idea of living in 'austerity Britain'.

That looks better!

Some of us left because the Britain we grew up in no longer exists. Labour destroyed the country. The petrol prices, the chav element and house prices are just the tip of the iceberg. There's no way I'd come back to pay for what Labour have done. I paid enough tax whilst I was there to prop that island up.

Why do you need a Swiss passport? I'm presuming you've got a permit B or C, as long as you keep your nose clean it's like having a Swiss passport.

I have a C permit.

It's NEARLY the same, but not the same.

With a passport they can never get rid of you. :-)

Well its been good fun, I havent seen any sunshine for 3 months and it costs 6 quid for a gallon of petrol........ the fish and chips are fab though

Last time I was in NZ (isn't that your hangout) the fush and chups were brilliant, shark as I recall.

Yes it's 6 quid a gallon and yes the fish and chips are fab. Plenty of blue skies down south though....

You're surely not going back to NZ to be bored to tears are you?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Expats-cancel-plans-return-tele-246970434.html?x=0

Expats cancel plans to return to Britain
Leah Hyslop, 14:37, Wednesday 16 February 2011
Ever since the start of the economic crisis in 2007, the media has been flooded with reports of expats being forced to move back to Britain by financial hardship. Particularly affected have been those Britons living in Europe (news) , where the weakness of sterling against the euro has caused dramatic rises in the cost of living.
In 2010, the currency dealer Moneycorp reported a four-fold increase in the number of expats in Europe returning to Britain compared with 2009, while currencies.co.uk said that it had seen a 38 per cent jump in the number of retired expats selling their properties in the same time period.
A new report, however, suggests that this trend could finally be reversing. According to a survey of nearly 900 expats carried out by Lloyds TSB International , a significant number of expats (67 per cent) now say they have no plans to return to Britain, compared with 56 per cent just six months before - a drop of 11 per cent. Furthermore, 65 per cent said they were confident that their financial outlook was better in their new country of residence than in Britain, while only 14 per cent thought that they would benefit financially from moving back.

I am seriously considering leaving and I wonder how many others are. This HPC has taken far too long and the aftermath is going to be awful. Far worse than if they had just let houses go when it started a couple of years ago. But oh no, lets get SMI going, keep IR below prudent levels, bail out the greedy BTLers etc etc. Fools--they will reap a far greater whirlwind as a result.

You're not the only one thinking along these lines. I''ve said one or two years more, MAX before the adios anchor is pulled up.

The US is never characterised by its Presidents which is a good thing. They only last 4 years and occasionaly 8.

O'Bama is gone in a year or so leaving the Republic much as it was, struggling like the rest of the world.

The people in the US are generally a decent bunch, a bit Germanic for my tastes, but you find your circle. Tough call on where to go as the West Coast is the only viable place IMO.

I agree that the West Coast is a good place to live. Western Canada is beautiful too. America visas don't come easy. I still think New Zealand is a good bet if you can get work. It reminds me of England when I was growing up.

I returned here 6 years ago after 15 years in Japan. I wouldn't be returning now though, not enough jobs to go around for the wife and I. Timming is everything.

Thinking of returning to austerity Britain? I'd give it a miss...

There is a thread in the Off topic you could gvie some advice on. Someone wanting to know about Japan.

Yes, I am seriously considering leaving too. I am considering Germany, France and Luxembourg. Language barrier doesn't bother me much as I speak reasonable French and pick up languages easily as does my husband. He has skills that are in demand pretty much anywhere so that's not an issue. I have also lived in Europe before and much prefer it to the UK. The only thing that is keeping us here atm is my work (self employed) which is not that profitable but I enjoy the work.

High class male gigilo ?

Last time I was in NZ (isn't that your hangout) the fush and chups were brilliant, shark as I recall.

Yep thay can be, blue cod wow, gurnard ace, lemon fish (shark) super

Yes it's 6 quid a gallon and yes the fish and chips are fab. Plenty of blue skies down south though....

You're surely not going back to NZ to be bored to tears are you?

I reckon, boredom and blue skies here we come :D