House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Number Without Jobs Up By 44,000 To 2.49 Million

Another good reason for house prices to go up.

And the BBC are actually reporting it as their main headline: UK Jobless Number Rises Further

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12477563

The Guardian, however, seems to have been taken by surprise: Unexpected Rise in UK Unemployment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/16/uk-unemployment-unexpected-rise

Odd given that they've spent the last few weeks fulminating about public sector redundancies ...

Edited by Tenubracon

Another good reason for house prices to go up.

And yet the pound goes from strength to strength.

I keep seeing these numbers expecting the GBP/USD to go bad but nothing, I don't get it, and it surely can't be that the UK is percieved better off than the US. What gives?

Last paragraph from the BBC story

"Analysts also say that rising unemployment will have a dampening effect on inflation, which is running at 4% as measured by the Consumer Prices Index, and 5.1% by the Retail Prices Index, which includes mortgage interest payments."

Oh, really?

More "analysts" who can't tell the difference between price inflation and wage inflation.

Rising unemployment might well have a dampening effect on wage inflation, but it's perfectly possible for price inflation to continue.

Rising unemployment might well have a dampening effect on wage inflation, but it's perfectly possible for price inflation to continue.

Especially as this is a consequence of the QE programme and the justification for continuing that is a weak economy. I do wonder why policy makers cannot see the feedback loop in that?

and more p/t jobs than ever before. The new phenomenon of the so called 'under employed'.

And they keep letting more people into the country and the LIBs want to give amnesty to 750000 Illegal so they can start work, no wonder people are angry.When are we going to get a goverment who can get a grip of our problems.

When are we going to get a goverment who can get a grip of our problems.

Get to grips with !

It would be a start if they admitted why we have a problem. There is just not enough work for every adult to be employed full time .

However the only sound bites to come form this lot all have a slant on them that the reason for high unemployment is lazy workers who won't work for peanuts.

The UK is a corporatocracy.

Hence we will have more unemployment as big business cut costs i.e. jobs to make more profits. We also get price inflation because they are charging more for everything to increase their profits.

+55% average rise for FTSE bosses in a year

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=517324&in_page_id=2

don't believe it. it is far higher. I became unemployed in January and have just received a letter from HMRC informing me of my 2011-2011 tax allowance, they have reassigned me to the employer previous to the one I left in January, an employer I might add that I haven't worked for in four years. lies, damn lies and statistics.

Not enough work to go around.. and the rare time when there is actually demand for something, like beautiful new clusters of condo towers in London, the society is almost violently opposed to allowing it to go forward. Construction being one of the last bastions where lots of human labour is needed. It won't be automated for some time to come.

My estimate is over the next 10 years the employment in Britain will decline by 5 million. From 29 million to 24 million.

Society needs an answer to this growing problem. The elites response so far has been to deny there is a problem. There are a number of possible solutions:

-Mass public works, from picking up litter to tending gardens in parks, to artwork, to infrastructure - I think this is what New Labour effectively did with the non-jobs. Except instead of positive things, they added people to watch the CCTV cameras, and people to watch the people watching the CCTV monitors.

-the French solution of shorter working weeks, longer vacations, earlier retirements

-my personal favorite of a citizen's dividend so people can have their basic living costs met and try out ideas for extra cash

-the French solution of shorter working weeks, longer vacations, earlier retirements

Yes

Yet we are going in the opposite direction . Wonder how many people work unpaid overtime ? how many jobs has that stolen from other people . Unpaid OT should be illegal.

In time honored fashion the elites will consider another possible solution: war

War would definately be the historical choice at this juncture. Especially where the gentlemen basically agree all will be taken care of after its over whichever way it goes. No unsporting behaviour lads.

Kill off most of the surplus young population, cut back on social spending due to the war effort.. and blame any poverty still left on the enemy.

I think the atomic bomb prevents major nations from going to war in this day and age though.

Yes

Yet we are going in the opposite direction . Wonder how many people work unpaid overtime ? how many jobs has that stolen from other people . Unpaid OT should be illegal.

I agree that unpaid OT should be illegal. I believe in a policy of paying everybody for any overtime they work. Mainly because I think it is unhealthy to have people working now getting nothing, but expecting something big down the road. I would rather compensate them now fully for their work and be even. And if down the road they advance, pay them more down the road too.

France somehow understands that it is a healthier society when everyone is in work. And people have tons of free time, like a 32 hour work week, 10 weeks vacation. I think people are more creative in that environment too and burnout less.

The British business associations argued British business would smash French business with our long work hours, low pay, and low rights for workers. Instead we see things like MG now a sub-brand of a Chinese auto company, while Renault and Puegeot-Citroen are still going strong. Together those two French car companies sell over 5 million cars a year.

Edited by aa3

and more p/t jobs than ever before. The new phenomenon of the so called 'under employed'.

It's the 'leisure revolution'

Of course, our genius politicians have managed to get a situation where all the leisure time goes to people with no money to enjoy it, AND people can't afford to work less because they have huge so**ing mortgages. Otherwise, it's all good.