House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
evolucions

Is My Gold Worthless?

Hi all, I am just after some opinions on what I can do? my great grandmother was cremated 22 years ago along with a lot of jewellery and I have had the remains of the jewellery in a jar all this time, it just seems a waste that it is just sat there. Can I have the gold cleaned from ash etc and turned into another piece of jewellery?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve. :)

Hi all, I am just after some opinions on what I can do? my great grandmother was cremated 22 years ago along with a lot of jewellery and I have had the remains of the jewellery in a jar all this time, it just seems a waste that it is just sat there. Can I have the gold cleaned from ash etc and turned into another piece of jewellery?

Many thanks in advance,

are you for real?!?!?!?

"the largest gold mining operation in Alaska is the Fort Knox Mine near Fairbanks. In 1999 the ore grade was .95 grams per ton. At 31.1 grams per troy ounce, they must process nearly 33 tons of material to produce an ounce of gold."

33 tons to make an ounce of gold.... you really think a bit of great granny ash is going make this gold obsolete? :blink:

on the other hand if your actually being serious and you want to re-use this as jewellery (assuming it's still in usable form) then yes it would be an easy task to remove the detritus - a mild acid should dissolve all traces of ash and any good jeweller would be able to restore the pieces....... though to be honest I’m surprised you got the gold back after the cremation (keeping gold fillings, hip joints Etc is an added bonus for the staff at crematoriums)

You have the lumps of melted gold in a jar?

The gold doesnt need cleaning, melt it all back into one lump with a good blow torch and the ash will separate/burn off on its own.

As for having it turned into a piece of jewelry, best way is to sell it as scrap (hatton garden metals pay close to spot) and use the cash to buy something.

If you really want to use the gold as a piece because of the sentimental value then melt it into a lump and have a jeweller put a loop on it so that you can wear it on a chain. Anything else will likely cost far far more than a lump of scrap is worth.

Many thanks in advance,

Yeah it's totally worthless, in fact you'll have to give me £100 to take it off you ;)