House Price Crash Forum
theonlywayisdown

If Potential Ftb's Banded Together, Could We Crash The Market?

I think the market is already crashing because of lack of FTB's

what i mean is if we had an actual movement setup, like a petition of would be FTBs who'd signup to a pledge not to buy, and should sufficient numbers (talking tens of thousands) be obtained, then take this petition to the government?

Thoughts?

We can't will it down just like the VIs can't will it up. The market will do what it will (e.g. crash in real terms) no matter what.

It's worth a try but it will take lots of effort.

The exercise would generate some publicity and if you can convince some people to stay out of the market it will be worthwhile.

I like the idea. Petition wouldn't work, it's a very old fashioned approach. Social networking is the only way you could mobilise people quickly enough and in sufficient numbers.

Seriously the movements in Tunisia and Egypt were both organised via Facebook.

I'm a second time buyer and would love to join something like this. First one I sold at a huge loss (bought at peak following the herd) because the area was terrible - trouble markers, private renters and social housing. I just want somewhere nice to live around like minded people if I'm to spend my life paying off a mortgage. I think it is unfair that over the last ten years house price inflation has been allowed to occur to such an extent that I'm priced out of the market.

I like the idea. Petition wouldn't work, it's a very old fashioned approach. Social networking is the only way you could mobilise people quickly enough and in sufficient numbers.

Yes

It would take increadibly good luck and a good tailwind to pull it off. @original poster. And if it could be done it would likely be a social networking campaign. but more likely to succeed as part of some wider cause (eg disaffected sutdents, under 30's etc).

Oh my cynical middle aged self says "no chance", but... people do ocassionally pull amazing things off you know.

I never thought Rage Against the Machine would make it to Christmas number one.

That only happened because a lot of people got pissed off with Simon Cowell and the X Factor. As much as I love the idea of a buyers strike, I can't see it happening in the same way. People have seen houses as (to paraphrase Charlie Brooker) ' coin shitting machines' for the last 10 years, and a lot of FTBs still see them in the same way, brainwashing, if you will, and want to get on the all important and mythical 'ladder' for a piece of the action.

Look at this thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=159525&st=0

There are more Nick and Marie Smiths that want looser lending criteria and a lifetimes worth of debt millstone to own their own shoebox than there are of us, wanting better value, at present. This may, most probably will, change, but now is not the time.

A different form of awareness needs to be planted. An awareness of how things have got out of control, broken down into handy pieces for the financially challenged. Easily communicated - make them question the whole rationale, make people see how much they've been shafted, who by and why.

Only then, I think, will that kind of social network action have the desired result.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the above could be accomplished, then post them here. I think Priced Out need a little help from the hpc guerillas :)

Chances of this strategy working = 100%

Chances of this strategy happenning = 0%

I see the purpose of this site as increasing the latter

That only happened because a lot of people got pissed off with Simon Cowell and the X Factor. As much as I love the idea of a buyers strike, I can't see it happening in the same way. People have seen houses as (to paraphrase Charlie Brooker) ' coin shitting machines' for the last 10 years, and a lot of FTBs still see them in the same way, brainwashing, if you will, and want to get on the all important and mythical 'ladder' for a piece of the action.

Look at this thread:

There are more Nick and Marie Smiths that want looser lending criteria and a lifetimes worth of debt millstone to own their own shoebox than there are of us, wanting better value, at present. This may, most probably will, change, but now is not the time.

A different form of awareness needs to be planted. An awareness of how things have got out of control, broken down into handy pieces for the financially challenged. Easily communicated - make them question the whole rationale, make people see how much they've been shafted, who by and why.

Only then, I think, will that kind of social network action have the desired result.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the above could be accomplished, then post them here. I think Priced Out need a little help from the hpc guerillas :)

Concur. Good post, wish I'd made it.

I'm too tired.. Very well argued and even if I wasnt half asleep, I doubt I could have put it as succinctly as you..

Shock vids, short format - covering areas that the young already know they are being screwed over on and ones that they don't - they can then make the connection, if a few ring true then they all will.

e.g

A take on "It could be you", reverse the fingers so they are truly being given the two fingered salute.

Obvious one - student fees. - It could be you - quote the odds of winning the jackpot - 14m odd to one then the odds of having to fork out for a qualitification costing £10k's that will get you a job no better than an A level dropout a few years ago.

Another - housing, bedsit, 30's - + odds again.

Retirement - Gone, working till 70's - chances of being dead first - pretty damned high in a failing economy.

Biological clock - birth defects, no children, no normal family life. Gnerational outcasts.

Money - globalisation - sold down the river, permanent temporary employment through their lifetime.

Make them really hard hitting and to the point.

What, like an (ahem) Homebuyers Strike facebook page for example (see sig below) ;-)

II like the idea. Petition wouldn't work, it's a very old fashioned approach. Social networking is the only way you could mobilise people quickly enough and in sufficient numbers.

Maybe a HPCer should self-immolate infront of parliament first?

Edited by Alan B'Stard MP

The market is crashed. Just no one cares because their mortgage payments are negligible and if they cant sell theyll get more renting it out than they will sticking the proceeds in the bank. And in their mind wont have to consolidate the 'loss'

Prices will probably slowly drift downwards as the economy rebalances, but it would take some decent rate rises, SMI and housing benefit cuts to get any meaningful reduction in prices in an acceptable timeframe.

Thats not to say that if youre buying in an undesirable area and in cash there's nothing out there, im sure there is.

Look at this thread:

I hear what you're saying, and there is a need to educate people, especially potential FTBs of debt slavery. From a recent conversation, its apparent that people just don't understand the reason why high house prices, even if you're on the housing ladder, is bad for almost everyone. The person I talked to didn't even realise the fact that when prices rise, the next rung up the ladder also widens.

I honestly believe that the typical person on the street who owns a house, thinks that the ladder just gets pushed upwards when prices rise. Such thinking is so flawed, and completely wrong!!!!

The market is crashed. Just no one cares because their mortgage payments are negligible and if they cant sell theyll get more renting it out than they will sticking the proceeds in the bank. And in their mind wont have to consolidate the 'loss'

Prices will probably slowly drift downwards as the economy rebalances, but it would take some decent rate rises, SMI and housing benefit cuts to get any meaningful reduction in prices in an acceptable timeframe.

Thats not to say that if youre buying in an undesirable area and in cash there's nothing out there, im sure there is.

The market hasn't crashed, it has stalled. If it has crashed, where are the massive price drops, hordes of desperate sellers trying to get out?

The market hasn't crashed, it has stalled. If it has crashed, where are the massive price drops, hordes of desperate sellers trying to get out?

I guess it depends on the exact terminology of 'crash' We certainly have a 'zombie' housing market. Its like when the fed suspends trading in the stock market to prevent a 'crash'. Trading has virtually been suspended in the housing market.

Look at this thread:

:rolleyes: All those years ago - when I first lurked on HPC [2003] and then joined [2004] - I posted regularly - saying "All FTBs - STAY OUT OF THIS" [etc.]. Some of you may remember this! ;);)

What I didn't realise is - We were up against a VERY sophisticated VI PR machine - that managed to get house prices taken out of inflation figures [!!! :angry: ] --- and that managed to persuade all and sundry that all was OK - and yet - FRAUD was/still is behind the whole HPI scam. AND - I didn't realise what a MORON a certain G Broon - who was in charge - was such a USELESS and criminally culpable "Chancellor" and "PM". :rolleyes:

The really sad thing is -- COUNTLESS peoples' lives have been very significantly affected by all this..... :ph34r:

Edited by eric pebble

By coming together what we can realistical;ly target is sentiment and the discourse environment about the property market and house prices. As ever, the most effective, cheapest and realistic way of doing this is by using the internet and what it offers for mass communication. I would suggest, as I have on previous occasions, that as many of us as possible target National and Local Newspaper websites and use the Readers Comments facilities to spread the HPC perspective about the property market/house prices. A number of us have been doing this informally for quite a while. It certainly generates good discussion on these National and Local websites with plenty of support for the HPC perspective. If we organised a bit and had as many people as possible doing this (perhaps all targeting National newspaper websites and then targeting our own individual Local websites - but with the option on calling others here for support when needed) we could create a constant wall of 'spreading the word messages' right across the country - and all from sitting at our individual computers. Doing a Readers Comment takes no more time, effort or resources than posting a comment here on HPC.

Imagine what 50 - 100 of us could do. And if even more got involved in committing to adding Readers Comments to National and Local Newspaper websites on a daily basis (or even 3 or 4 times a week) ......

We could list the kinds of arguments, points, etc. that we would like to get across collectively about house prices. Use each other for ideas about how to respond to points made by BTL'ers, Estate Agents, etc.

So, how about it?

Edited by Alfie Moon

We can't will it down just like the VIs can't will it up.

He isn't attempting to will it down, he's suggesting that people organize to collate their economic votes, which

as they usually stand with capitalism, at one vote per dollar (or should I say one vote per pound sterling), are useless.

But people would be better off organizing to end existing property laws entirely.

Why be happy with a house, when ending the violence of the state would end capitalist property laws, which would

allow the 69% of the land that is currently in the hands of less than 1% of the population fall into our laps?

I think it would be very difficult, its so built into people that you must buy. My girlfriend and I live in a Rented Flat in the UK, soon we will move to australia where house prices are much worse than here, most expensive in the english speaking world. Renting is much much cheaper per month than ownership as for tax purposes landlords benefits by offsetting the losses against their wages or other income.

Anyway my girlfriend is still insistant she wants to buy straight away, instead of renting for a few years and waiting for the expected price drop, prices dont have room to rise much further so there is no rush to buy, and monthly outgoings on rent are cheaper. She however can not be reasoned with , she must buy, she wont raise kids in a rented home..its been drummed into her buy society.