House Price Crash Forum

The Dude Gone?

dipstick

HOLA441
HOLA442
Some kind of comedy comeback?  The work of MONKEY?  Maybe we will all be buying within days?  :blink:  :ph34r:

He has indicated that he doesn't identify with a lot of posters - STRs mainly.

I think the "you don't have any silver/gold? Ha Ha Ha " thread might have been the final straw for him. To some people, reading about an economic meltdown where your cash becomes worthless may be seriously mind-bending.

You turned the world upside down, and the Dude fell off. :(

HOLA443
HOLA444
I didn't like the cartoon at the head of the thread.  It was arrogant - just the sort of thing the world doesn't need more of.

EDIT: But it turned out to be great thread, so G*d works in mysterious ways and all that.

I agree it was a good thread........time to open the goldmoney account, if only to diversify.

HOLA445

I think The Dude feels like a lot of younger people - that watching the antics of the baby boomer generation is like watching a snake swallowing an egg. Everything goes leaving nothing but a blasted heath in its wake...certainly I'm seeing in other areas a legacy of boomers (and those born in the 30s/early 40s) taking the lot and expecting their children to pay for it. I'm not particularly trying to be inflammatory, predictions of inter-generational conflict over resources and assets have been being made by academic economists for some years. But academic conflict will at some point flip over into real anger, and this is something politicians should think about and act on, before it happens.

And please, don't give me the whole "it was just as hard for us line..." because we've already heard that one. I went to a wedding last year and sat on a bus ferrying guests listening to a conversation between a bunch of boomer parents talking in the back. One was saying "when we were young, we were so poor we couldn't afford curtains in our house - we had to move one set from the living room to the bedroom when we went to bed." This is someone who by the age of 27 (him) and 25 (her) had three kids and a three-bed semi, on one person's salary.

It was the utter disconnection from reality for twentysomethings nowadays (couldn't afford curtains IN OUR HOUSE) that almost had me rolling in the aisles alternately laughing and cursing. Think of The Dude's departure as a harbinger - when polite communication from a shared perspective breaks down.

HOLA446
It was the utter disconnection from reality for twentysomethings nowadays (couldn't afford curtains IN OUR HOUSE) that almost had me rolling in the aisles alternately laughing and cursing. Think of The Dude's departure as a harbinger - when polite communication from a shared perspective breaks down.

HPC is still a good place to be but every board has its day.

As economic conditions get worse I feel that there will be further breakdown of a shared vision here. The shared interest we have had so far in a HPC will become less important. Some will lose their jobs and others will do well from the firesale. And as some buy they will leave the board. This site was only ever meant to be time-limited and I am sure that Webmaster has been amazed at the result of what he origonally started.

There are still legs in this here HPC board but it can't go on forever.

Could there be, however, be a 'son of HPC' board created by some on here? To continue the theoretical side of things? That would be good but would lack the 'accidental focus' that HPC has given to lots of discussions.

HOLA447
HOLA448
I think The Dude feels like a lot of younger people - that watching the antics of the baby boomer generation is like watching a snake swallowing an egg. Everything goes leaving nothing but a blasted heath in its wake...certainly I'm seeing in other areas a legacy of boomers (and those born in the 30s/early 40s) taking the lot and expecting their children to pay for it. I'm not particularly trying to be inflammatory, predictions of inter-generational conflict over resources and assets have been being made by academic economists for some years. But academic  conflict will at some point flip over into real anger, and this is something politicians should think about and act on, before it happens.

And please, don't give me the whole "it was just as hard for us line..." because we've already heard that one. I went to a wedding last year and sat on a bus ferrying guests listening to a conversation between a bunch of boomer parents talking in the back. One was saying "when we were young, we were so poor we couldn't afford curtains in our house - we had to move one set from the living room to the bedroom when we went to bed." This is someone who by the age of 27 (him) and 25 (her) had three kids and a three-bed semi, on one person's salary.

What does your anecdote prove? My 27 year old nephew has his own home (on a mortgage) with a plasma TV. It looks like a show home. He's just a tiler. He has more than I had at his age, and I was a Chartered Engineer.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

It might help if messages were posted to the correct forum and moderators

were more vigilant on that.

'the main discussion on house prices' board currently has a large percentage

of storm/gold threads, for instance. If you're not interested in gold, just getting

a house for a reasonable price, I guess it's a pain to have it regularly thrust in your face

that e.g. gold is going up.

Personally, I love the gold/storm/etc threads, but I'm quite happy to read them on

the appropriate board too.

Pent

HOLA4416
It might  help if messages were posted to the correct forum and moderators

were more vigilant on that.

of storm/gold threads, for instance. If you're not interested in gold, just getting

a house for a reasonable price, I guess it's a pain to have it regularly thrust in your face

Personally, I love the gold/storm/etc threads, but I'm quite happy to read them on

the appropriate board too.

Pent

But how many people actually read the other forums? This site seriously needs a "latest posts in all forums" page as it's main focus. A bit like this stock market forum in Oz http://www.aussiestockforums.com/ would work well. Lots of different forums with the latest posts all on the main front page. Works well.

HOLA4417
Guest wrongmove

Yes, I am getting bored of the gold ramping too. You can only read "We are all doomed: speculate on gold" so many times before it gets boring.

Could goldbugs at least include the word Gold in the thread title so we know which ones to avoid. And also not twist other threads round to "We are all doomed: speculate on gold" ?

Just a polite suggestion. Overall, I enjoy the board greatly, complete with gold ramping.

:)

HOLA4418

I don't mind other stuff being on the same forum. To be honest I think we all now know what is going to the price of houses and even since I've been on the site I have noticed the slow meandering off of the bulls and the diminishing opportunities for argument.

Also the housing market is not working in isolation. If we didn't know before coming on this site we certainly know now, that all the other stuff affects housing or vice versa.

Cultural issues such as living standards around the country and the world, weather threats, currency issues, to me all the stuff is just as interesting.

It's not as if we are getting threads posted about "How to Knit a Pair of Socks" or "Darn your own Tights".

HOLA4419

I can appreciate why The Dude felt alienated.

There are many on this site who are simply saving to put together a deposit and wait for prices to adjust. These are the folks who simply cannot afford to buy. I believe The Dude was one of these.

There are others (I include myself in this category) who for one reason or another (usually saving) have a wedge big enough to put down as a deposit and could afford to buy but choose not to in the belief that things are grossly overpriced.

And finally there are those who are brainiac investors making small fortunes on gold, stocks etc.

The great thing about the forum is that all these people can have pretty amiable conversations about housing and the economy. There is much to be learned but as I say I appreciate why Dude may have felt alienated or bored.

That's all.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

HPC has always been a forum dedicated to contrarian economic discussion.

You won't find this type of information on any other board and most who leave in a huff usually turn up again before too long.

The original hardcore are still "out there" and I suspect will continue to post from time to time.

It's good to see lots of freshers prepared to take up the reigns too.

We are entering volatile territory - EOTWAWHKI the (EndOfTheWorldAsWeHaveKnownIt) - lives on.

HOLA4423
Almost  on the same subject: What's happend to zzg113? almost 10,000 posts under his belt and then nothing...

I wondered that, hope it was not the Chilli Contest joke I posted in the 'joke of the day' thread that he said nearly gave him a hernia :(

Maybe the VI hitmen are working their way down the list & Monkey went crazy instead when warned off :)

Shouldn't the suggested 'Son of Hpc' be 'HPC lite', a censored upbeat site for those that can't handle all comers comments on HPC, with babay boomers banned :) .

Sometimes, it does get to me that there are too many greedy, money obsessed selfish 'sounding' types on this site. But in a messed up capitalist world is it suprising & any more than the average ?

In an ideal world as Victor Papenek says decent wage owners would be giving at least 10% of their wages to the needy or charity. Sadly I see little evidence of this goal, perhaps the view will prevail as stated in 'new society'mag' some years ago that 'helping others could be percieved as a selfish act, as it often benefited the giver in certain circumstances.

ie. if you feed the mob, they won't break in & rob/ kill you, or if you give money to help preserve the environment, you are doing it to preserve resources for your use.

HOLA4424

the dude, Cqnao, Slater where has he sloped off to ? I can understand peeps wanting a rest......I think they will all be back, indeed I hope they will all be back.

Come on the dude get re registered and get yourself back on the board :)

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4425
I can appreciate why The Dude felt alienated.

There are many on this site who are simply saving to put together a deposit and wait for prices to adjust. These are the folks who simply cannot afford to buy. I believe The Dude was one of these.

There are others (I include myself in this category) who for one reason or another (usually saving) have a wedge big enough to put down as a deposit and could afford to buy but choose not to in the belief that things are grossly overpriced.

And finally there are those who are brainiac investors making small fortunes on gold, stocks etc.

The great thing about the forum is that all these people can have pretty amiable conversations about housing and the economy. There is much to be learned but as I say I appreciate why Dude may have felt alienated or bored.

That's all.

Dont forget the crossovers too :lol:

I have used what measly deposit i have managed to save for the past year (ish) and thrown it at the stock market, gold, spredbetting. So far im up 50% this year and its still no where near enough. 50% of a fiver is only £2.50 type of thing.

Im firmly of the mind set of not blaming others for the situation i find myself in, its not my fault its not yours its just the way it is. Instead of being beaten by it ill fight back THEN if i fail i can find solice knowing that atleast i gave 'it' (the metaphorical beast im fighting) a bloody nose.

I have very little money, no inheritance, no rich relative, nothing, im in it alone, fine by me.

There is so a mix of differnt circumstances, financial positions, outlooks, backgrounds on this forum, its what makes it a great place to talk.

Only quoted you donnie cause it was online with my speach :lol::)