House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Council Sends Out Letter Demanding Payment Of Council Tax Arrears

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1357285/Great-grandmother-82-receives-council-unpaid-tax-demand-7p-10-years-ago.html

A great grandmother was stunned to be told by her local council that they wanted to claw back a seven pence council tax debt from ten years ago.

Elsie Gallagher, 82, received the unexpected bill from Durham County Council for the decade-old debt and branded the letter 'a farce'.

The letter reads: ‘Dear Mrs Gallagher, ‘You have been overpaid council tax benefit of 0.07p’. It said she had accrued the paltry debt over 366 days between 1999 and 2000.

Durham County Council today said it would cancel the extra payment.

Head of Finance Jeff Garfoot said: ‘This bill shouldn’t have been sent out and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

‘This bill slipped through the net due to a computer error. Normally we wouldn’t ask for payment of a debt like this.’

I love how computers get blamed they don't make errors, it's either operator error or a programming error, computers don't just make mistakes on their own. It's always human error.

Perhaps the best approach would be to acknowledge recipt of the letter, state that you are horrified that you might owe someone money and will of course repay it provided that it can be demonstrated that you do actually owe the money. Obvoiusly you need to go through the correct procedures before handing over cash to someone just because they say you owe them money.

9 children :blink:

She's 82 you know.

People used to have large numbers of kids. Admitedly normally catholics or the very poor.

(I think maybe the generation before her though)

My gran was one of 13.

I suspect a new line in their program to say "arrears <= cost of stamp and envelope = ignore arrears" would cost billions though.

I love how computers get blamed they don't make errors, it's either operator error or a programming error, computers don't just make mistakes on their own. It's always human error.

the-terminator.jpg