House Price Crash Forum
exiges

Hpcers On Radio 4

For those who were unable to hear it live, a few of us HPCers rang in to the Radio 4 show You and Yours which today discussed house prices and Grant Shapps chat with builders and lenders on getting the housing market moving again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yj885#synopsis

Bear food for all :lol:

Edited by exiges

First ten minutes and this is excellent!

What is going on? FTBer's actually on air. Common sense being allowed... on the BBC. This is huge!

Edited by worst time buyer

30 mins in now. Not so good. Revenge of the VI's, and people claiming its a "supply problem"

To be fair the EA of all people did have a point about the amount of supply the BTL brigade have removed from the FTBer`s market

Unfortunately, when the guy from Shelter spoke he really didn't seem to get it, caught up as he was in the public sector mantra of 'affordable housing' as being for the social sector.

22 year old kid, weekend only job, 90k mortgage. Arggghhhh!

I'm about to test the aerodynamic qualities of my pc.

Most hilarious moment of the program?

52 mins 52 seconds.

First thing said directly after program finishes... In a BIG LOUD BOOMING VOICE!

"As inflation hits 4% the World at One will ask whether the Bank Of England needs to raise interest rates, that's in a couple of minutes, after the weather"

:lol::lol:

To be fair the EA of all people did have a point about the amount of supply the BTL brigade have removed from the FTBer`s market

His commission will be badly affected - when there is no market they are screwed (unless they pack a load of rental work).

Same with the stock market - volumes falling rapidly as the market is rigged to ever higher levels which fewer and fewer people want to participate in.

Unfortunately, when the guy from Shelter spoke he really didn't seem to get it, caught up as he was in the public sector mantra of 'affordable housing' as being for the social sector.

22 year old kid, weekend only job, 90k mortgage. Arggghhhh!

I'm about to test the aerodynamic qualities of my pc.

His mother wont mind paying it when interest rates go up

Bit of a classic though get`s 20k to pay of student debit and ends up with 90k of debt ,I bet his mother told him he cannot go wrong with property,

But the only problem now is the price of it in Newport is dropping like a stone

Edited by long time lurking

no

zero sum game

Haha guy at 9mins was good - he was from here, right? Must have been....... :D

made a great point about pushing debt onto kids and how renting now is better than buying.

Edited by guitarman001

no

zero sum game

Disagree the love affair between the renter and the BTL landlord has made the plight of the FTB much more difficult. If youngsters stayed at home with their parents and saved for a deposit on a house instead of taking the easy root and renting. There would be no BTL empires and houses would be a lot cheaper.

Listened to this in the car at lunch time and congratulations to anyone on this forum who got on air. It was superb. Some very, very switched on young people ringing in and making classic HPC views heard with great clarity. We don't need schemes, we don't need initiatives, we don't need meddling; we just need to step back and let the market do its thing. 'Affordable housing' will miraculously follow, to say nothing of the evaporation of one of the greatest social injustices of our time. This programme went some way to redressing the balance after yesterday morning's pitiful attempt by the BBC to apply emotional blackmail to the interest rate argument by having a 'poor person' on the sofa to explain how hard life would be for her if interest rates went up. I wonder how many pensioners they invited on the show, but who couldn't afford the bus fare.

30 mins in now. Not so good. Revenge of the VI's, and people claiming its a "supply problem"

In some regions of the country there is a serious housing shortage, like here in the south / south east. Particularly for the younger generation, as the housing "turnover" is decreasing, as older people are living longer - which is great, as long they would allow the younger generation to build their own homes. Alas, most older people are also NIMBYs...

Prices went up due to too much finance boosting demand, and over-restrictive planning policies blocking supply - both.

Plus a few other factors, like tax issues, smaller households, etc.

18 mins in, another comment about youngsters not being able to afford in future. Very forward-looking.

Than going on about loose lending being one of the causes - great stuff.

Seems there are way more bears than bulls!

LOL!!!!!!!!

Guy on right after says just let prices come down! Let the market fall! He asked 'what good are rising prices anyway'? Follow long silence... :D

Sorry - you all know this already but I'm excited... ;)

It was great listening to this at lunchtime while eating a sandwich in my car. However, I did spit some semi-chewed roast beef over my steering wheel when I heard the phrase

LIAR LOANS