House Price Crash Forum
bomberbrown

The British' Snobbery And Obsession With Property

Last nights Evening Standard article - Father kills his 2 children

The block of flats, each with a veranda overlooking a tree-lined square, opened five years ago. A mother-of-two, who did not wish to be named, said: "It's a really nice place to live, these are apartments, not flats.

JTFC! Get some perspective love. dry.gif

This is gutter reporting of the lowest level. I mean they dont mention ONCE how much his apppartment is worth. THe BBC would never make such an obvious omission.

Maybe she really is that clueless, in which case you have to feel sorry for her.

(All right, you don't, the silly b*tch)

Fat Oxford dict. says:

"apartment; "a suite of rooms forming one residence, typically in a building containing a number of these; a flat."

Edited by Mrs Bear

This is gutter reporting of the lowest level. I mean they dont mention ONCE how much his apppartment is worth. THe BBC would never make such an obvious omission.

That made me lol.

It reminds me of a story (quite a few years ago) about some French nuclear testing. From what I remember some French minister said "It is not a bomb. I do not like the word 'bomb'. It is a device which is exploding."

I thought everyone knows already that renters are utter scummers. My great Aunt hates her next door neighbours because they are renters and don't own their own house. Everybody should aspire to owning their own house don't you know. If you don't own your own house then you are a loser and someone to be pittied.

Maybe she really is that clueless, in which case you have to feel sorry for her.

If she has been quoted correctly then probably not. She makes the distinction between the two - which clearly indicates she thinks there is a difference between the two.

Otherwise she would just have called it a flat or an apartment. Not had to mention both.

If she has been quoted correctly then probably not. She makes the distinction between the two - which clearly indicates she thinks there is a difference between the two.

Otherwise she would just have called it a flat or an apartment. Not had to mention both.

Yes, that's why she's clueless.

The difference exists only in her evidently pretentious head.

Reminds me of the line in Peepshow when Jezza's uncle goes into a hospice:

Jeremy. Poor Uncle's gone into a hospice. But I'm sure he'll be out soon!

Mark. Er...Jeremy...you DO know what a hospice is, don't you?

Jeremy. Of course I do. It's like a hospital...er...only nicer?

Yes, that's why she's clueless.

The difference exists only in her evidently pretentious head.

Yep - an apartment is just a flat with an expensive price tag.

We all said that these new build flats would become the slums of tomorrow. You have to feel sorry for the young FTB'ers who bought them a couple of years ago believing that they were in some way exectutive or what-ever and they turn into council estates (and by that I mean tower blocks where people get murdered bot the nice sized three bed semi's our parents would have the right to buy)

this site is probably the main thing that stood in the way of me buying such a place a few years ago

Edited by Ben is Back

The block of flats, each with a veranda overlooking a tree-lined square, opened five years ago. A mother-of-two, who did not wish to be named, said: "It's a really nice place to live, these are apartments, not flats.

Just apartments and not luxury apartments? Cheapskate :lol:

Still some twigs in a vase and it will be a palace :rolleyes: