House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Inflation Data Due At 9:30 Am: How Unexpected Will It Be

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Inflation-surge-force-public-reuters_molt-361454902.html?x=0

Christina Fincher, 8:09, Tuesday 15 February 2011
LONDON (
Reuters
) - Britain's January inflation numbers will make difficult reading for the Bank of England at a time when its inflation-fighting credentials are increasingly coming into question.
Figures at 9:30 a.m. are forecast to show annual consumer price inflation surged to 4.0 percent from 3.7 percent in December, its highest level since November (Berlin: NBXB.BE - news) 2008 and double the central bank's target.

4.2% is my guess. Slightly unexpectedly higher than forecast.

Edit:

CPI: an unexpected 4.2%

Edited by Realistbear

I'm guessing a fall of -0.1% which has been seasonally adjusted from a fall of -0.8%. That way they'll avoid the YoY going negat-

...Oh, hang on, it's a inflation figure you're after. Dunno. Probably far higher than it should be if IRs were at a sensible level.

CPI 4.0%

RP! 5.1%

first time I've seen gold and silver spike like that on UK inflation data...

so, now we are DOUBLE the target, well done BOE, where's the credibility?

if they dont put up rates, watch sterling tank against that other bog roll currency, the USD

first time I've seen gold and silver spike like that on UK inflation data...

so, now we are DOUBLE the target, well done BOE, where's the credibility?

if they dont put up rates, watch sterling tank against that other bog roll currency, the USD

But it's only a blip, and we can't risk harming the recovery, you know. Honestly, I'd have thought HPC would've got the message by now.

Later today Merv will be writing a letter to GO....

He will be mixing'n'matching from the following phrases:

- It's due to VAT rise, init?

- It's due to falling sterling, so not my fault gov.

- It's due to expensive imports so foreigners are to blame.

- It's temporary so just close your eyes, think nice thoughts and in a year or three it will be gone.

- I've got a £3m pension pot, RPI-linked, the higher inflation, the higher my pension. Oh, and if you try any funnny business like saying temporary imported inflation doesn't count when paying my pension I'll see you in court. :angry:

Dear BBC and Sky News (aka banking propaganda TV channels)

Thank you for inviting experts to your studios this morning to explain to us that there's nothing to worry about.

Mind you, your experts were bankers, but hey! who else knows more about what's good for our economy?

Thank you for highliting the fact that this inflation is harmless unless workers start asking for pay rises. Also thank you for reminding us that Barclays emplyees got a 18% rise in their pay. But they are bankers so that's OK.

Thank you for informing me this morning that the UK economy is recovering because banks are making record profits once again. It was also very useful to be reminded that the UK needs a strong bankoing sectory above anything else.

Please continue the great job - and never invite anyone else other than the bankers to your studios - I want to hear opinions of successful people (bankers) and not losers (independent commentators).

And my last 'thank you' goes to one of your experts from RBS who clearly said that if we exclude articles that rose in prise - the inflation has actually been falling. I feel honoured to be able to watch such geniuses on my TV!

:ph34r:

So the VAT rise is in this figure so does that mean inflation dropped this month?

VAT adds 1% to the inflation figure doesn't it?

I just did a quick google to remind myself of Merv King's pension arrangements. I found this article at the Daily Telegraph. Don't you just love the subliminal message they are sending with the nicely cropped photo...... ;)

merv_1402758f.jpg

And my last 'thank you' goes to one of your experts from RBS who clearly said that if we exclude articles that rose in prise - the inflation has actually been falling. I feel honoured to be able to watch such geniuses on my TV!

What???!!!

Did someone really say that? What time and channel roughly?

The dreaded plateau before the horror of horrors for the VIs and Banksters hits: Deflation.

Cue evil genius laugh: muh huh huh huh haaaaa

According to the Guardian article..

'no one can get rid of inflation permanantly'

Seems that the Japs are having a pretty good try.

I'm glad that Mervyn "Due Diligence" King is on the case :)

... :unsure:

Are we back in the 1970s or something?

....looks like that is what is being worked on....except the fuel to keep it going was spent yesterday and due for payment tomorrow....the miracle of the banks saving things, cat has been let out of the bag, it is they who need saving. ;)

Dear BBC and Sky News (aka banking propaganda TV channels)

Thank you for inviting experts to your studios this morning to explain to us that there's nothing to worry about.

Mind you, your experts were bankers, but hey! who else knows more about what's good for our economy?

Thank you for highliting the fact that this inflation is harmless unless workers start asking for pay rises. Also thank you for reminding us that Barclays emplyees got a 18% rise in their pay. But they are bankers so that's OK.

Thank you for informing me this morning that the UK economy is recovering because banks are making record profits once again. It was also very useful to be reminded that the UK needs a strong bankoing sectory above anything else.

Please continue the great job - and never invite anyone else other than the bankers to your studios - I want to hear opinions of successful people (bankers) and not losers (independent commentators).

Please tell me you made that bit up