House Price Crash Forum

The Best Estate Agent In The World.

SarahBell

HOLA441

EPC are geneally seen as a waste of time because people don't understand the implications of what they mean.

But they are very nice to see and I think they're really useful.

Howver most propertys score really badly on them.

This property however must get a good rating. If it doesn't then the whole EPC thing needs throwing in the bin.

99% of the propertys I look at on rightmove have their EPC proudly showing they're as energy efficient as a kettle of eels.

This property hasn't got the EPC on.

Why not? It has solar hot water, solar pv, (And log burners, and veggie patch) so it should be shouting about the EPC.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18075855.html

If an EA can't even get it right over displaying an EPC for this sort of property, what hope have they really got?

HOLA442

My guess is that the EPC shows that it's pants. A big old house with sash windows. No amount of energy generation is going to make up for the amount of energy wasted on a building like that. But it's only a guess.

Nice house though if you're into a gothic lifestyle.

HOLA443
HOLA444

My guess is that the EPC shows that it's pants. A big old house with sash windows. No amount of energy generation is going to make up for the amount of energy wasted on a building like that. But it's only a guess.

(...)

Same guestimate here.

Edit: Also brick walls not insulated?

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA445
HOLA446

Nice house though if you're into a gothic lifestyle.

Sash windows are probably the least thing to worry about in terms of energy loss ( as long as in good condition ), double glazing only makes a small relative difference.

Walls, floors, and roofs have a much bigger impact, as the insulation achieved from "upgrading" these has far more effect on energy loss.

HOLA447

original windows which have been secondary glazed with Everest double glazing to the ground and first floors....

Yuk. Have you ever lived with secondary glazing?

Lovely house though, apart from the location. For those of us who don't try to overheat the place and sit around in birthday suits in winter.

HOLA448

Yuk. Have you ever lived with secondary glazing?

Lovely house though, apart from the location. For those of us who don't try to overheat the place and sit around in birthday suits in winter.

Nope. I lived with single glazing for quite a few years though. Is it worse than that?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

EPC are geneally seen as a waste of time because people don't understand the implications of what they mean.

Including the people who write them.

The house that I am considering buying is shown as having "electric instant hot water" when in fact it has a direct pressure, electric hot water storage tank.

tim

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Didnt they get dumped when the coalition dumped HIPs?

Or are they the bit the Eurocrats have ruled we must have even though apparently we're still a sovereign nation more than capable of deciding such things ourselves?

You need one for every property for rent and for sale.

For renters surely they're a good idea - if they include the heating costs for the house.