House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

The American Dream

There is a long article at this link written by an American, 'Mark', who has worked hard but who was made redundant a few years back who says that the America he grew up in no longer exists.

It is a long but powerful essay.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/disillusioned-99er-shares-his-disappointment-american-dream

Every unemployed person I have met over these past two years have been saintly. Sharing what little they have, and being charitable -- being kind and patient and supportive. Isn't it amazing that we Americans who suffer so much, have not taken to the streets in violence, riots or gotten out the guillotines and marched on tycoons and Washington in revolt as would happen in most other nations? But rather we plead with deaf politicians to please help us. We don't demand huge sums -- just 300 bucks a week, barely enough to cover housing for most. Most of all we say, please help us get a job, please allow us dignity.

I can't help but juxtapose our plight to the tycoons and politicians. They are never satisfied with their enormous wealth, and always want more millions no matter whom it hurts. They STEAL from pension funds, banks, the people and government, and little Wall Street investors. Then rather than face punishment, they become petty kings in this world. They are disloyal to America, unpatriotic, and serve their own foreign UN-American greedy causes and demand more and more and more. I feel that this is not the nation into which I was born.

I was born in America, the land of the free and the home of the brave. America, where people give as much as they receive. America, where all people work for the common good, and try to leave a better and more prosperous nation for the next generation. America, where people help their neighbors and show charity and mercy. This new America is alien to me -- it is an America of greed and corruption and avarice and mean spirited selfishness and hatred of the common good -- it is an America of savage beasts roaring and tearing at the weak, and bullying the humble and peacemakers and poor and those without means to defend themselves. I am not welcome here anymore. I don't belong here anymore.

It's as if some evil beast controls government, the economy, and our lives now.

God bless Mark.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

There is a long article at this link written by an American, 'Mark', who has worked hard but who was made redundant a few years back who says that the America he grew up in no longer exists.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/disillusioned-99er-shares-his-disappointment-american-dream

I fear that he has decided to end his own life. God bless Mark.

...he needs to form a movement for change .....

I skipped over the fact that he wrote this in November. I fear Mark is no longer with us.

...just read it ...see what you mean....it should inspire others to form a movement for change ....if society cannot look after the genuine weak ...it is no longer a society ....the US needs to dig deep into it's conscience and bring those accountable for the biggest sting ever to account and let them pay their debt to the lost society ...nearer to home we need to do the same ...the fraudsters should be brought to account convicted and made to suffer ...and certainly should not be enjoying the gains of their poisoned fruit....

...just read it ...see what you mean....it should inspire others to form a movement for change ....if society cannot look after the genuine weak ...it is no longer a society ....the US needs to dig deep into it's conscience and bring those accountable for the biggest sting ever to account and let them pay their debt to the lost society ...nearer to home we need to do the same ...the fraudsters should be brought to account convicted and made to suffer ...and certainly should not be enjoying the gains of their poisoned fruit....

Like him or loathe him, but Michael's Moore's Captialism: A Love Story covered a lot of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism:_A_Love_Story

she is right - the rules have been written by the business elite and their corrupt friends in government (which is nearly all of them) precisely to shaft ordinary people.

the irony is that moore uses the failing of government as an argument for more government, which will only make the problem worse.

America was at its greatest when the govt barely existed, I don't think they will ever get back to that though.

God bless Mark.

I am glad we are not like those Americans and have our dream still intact. Hate to be smug but are much better placed than the US to weather the HPC storm everyone else is getting.

Edited by Realistbear

Part of our "Dream" started to unwravel in Spain when the property values started to wobble (its all about houses as far as our dream goes):

http://www.irwinmitchell.com/news/Pages/British-dreams-at-risk-on-Costa.aspx

British dreams at risk on the Costa

Marbella property investigation

06/04/2006

North Easterners, who have bought a dream Spanish holiday home in the sun, could face a nightmare of foreign red tape following yesterday's arrest of the Mayor of Marbella and several senior members of the Town Hall.

They are under investigation in relation to several corruption scandals, some of which are connected with the issuing of thousands of illegal building licenses.

The local authority in Marbella granted property developers licences to build thousands of homes and businesses in the popular town and the surrounding region on the basis of a General Building Plan, which had not been approved by the Regional Government of Andalucia.

Illegal property licenses

she is right - the rules have been written by the business elite and their corrupt friends in government (which is nearly all of them) precisely to shaft ordinary people.

the irony is that moore uses the failing of government as an argument for more government, which will only make the problem worse.

America was at its greatest when the govt barely existed, I don't think they will ever get back to that though.

They do need a bit more government. It is called 'Law Enforcement'.

Correct, classic false rebellion useful idiot.

That Harvard woman was part of the oversight committee to check to see where that bailout money was going...In the film she said she didn't know!

Isn't it amazing that we Americans who suffer so much, have not taken to the streets in violence, riots or gotten out the guillotines and marched on tycoons and Washington in revolt as would happen in most other nations?

Americans (at least the ones in the middle of the landmass still have a sense of personal responsibility, rather than the blind faith in govt to fix all their problems Europeans have.

We should be protesting and more, but not because Equality officers, Health and Safety tsars, feng shui gurus and Environmental appraisal executives are having their jobs slashed, rather because of the land and banking cartels.