House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

S K Y Frightener On Tonight's News: Redundancies About To Kick In

Watching Sky news this evening and they had a bit about redundancies just about to kick in and that it is going to be bad, real bad. I suspect it will all be unexpected when it happens.

Hell hath no fury against a housing bubble like job losses.

Get ready folks, fasten your seat belts as the house price crash joy ride* is about to begin. :lol::lol::lol:

* This joy ride does NOT apply to those who will be among the redundant. Sad (very sad in fact) that they are losing their jobs but we on HPC.co.uk salute them.

Watching Sky news this evening and they had a bit about redundancies just about to kick in and that it is going to be bad, real bad. I suspect it will all be unexpected when it happens.

Hell hath no fury against a housing bubble like job losses.

Get ready folks, fasten your seat belts as the house price crash joy ride* is about to begin. :lol::lol::lol:

* This joy ride does NOT apply to those who will be among the redundant. Sad (very sad in fact) that they are losing their jobs but we on HPC.co.uk salute them.

Redundancies in the company I work for are taking place this very week. They seemed to want to postpone it all until after xmas, and it took about 4 weeks or so to decide how to trim, what to keep, and to inform the workers. Luckily, I'm not one of them. It's frontline workers to begin with. Managers are expected to follow shortly after.

The problem with job losses is they are self feeding, the more people made redundant, the less money they spend and more get made redundant.

tbh given that the public sector employs 6m (please correct me if I am wrong) then probably a further 12m depend on the money.

I reckon we need to cut the public sector to about half, (just a wild guess) so that could give us 9m more unemployed.

of course this seems very far fetched so can't possibly happen, but what else can we do...

where are they all going to work?

The only problem with that is most of us need a job to buy a house.... people losing their jobs is not the reason why prices should come down....be careful what you wish for. ;)

The only problem with that is most of us need a job to buy a house.... people losing their jobs is not the reason why prices should come down....be careful what you wish for. ;)

I agree

agree with you 100%...it's not the way it should happen :angry:

I work in the NHS (and I'm a "frontline" worker - not one of these useless middle managers that we have a plague of ... who incidentally seem to be running around all the time now frantically trying to justify the non-work they do) and the first raft of letters going out have arrived asking for people to register their interest if they wish to take vol redundancy (although it's NOT that apparently - it's mutually agreed resignation scheme, MARS for short).

:blink:

Yes, this should at least FORCE some sales. The first trigger is still here, though - restrictive mortgage lending. How long until the government holds the banks to ransom on that one like they have with business lending? See my anecdotal in the.... anecdotals section (!) to here more about the general public's view on mortgage restrictions.

Oh come on'. Who the freck are u kidding ? EVERYONE I speak to is amazed when I say the economy is due another downturn.

High earning, intelligent people can't see it. I'm beginning to think I'm not just the only person I know who reads HPC (natch), but also the only person who watches the news (Ken Clarkes comment about the pain coming to the middle classes was conveniently ignored the other day). Having conversations with anyone about jobs, the economy, and general outlook for the UK ends with me looking like some suicidal, pessimistic, Morrissey fan.

A friend at work was talking about jumping into BTL the other day...

Like it or not, outside of the bubble that is this website, Gordon Browns bubble is still inflating

Interesting point about job loses. An ex council estate not far from me prices have tanked, 3 beds on there at peak where £120k, now the bar has lowered to £80k with plenty marketing at this price or just above it. These working class low paid job people have had the worst so far, when the job loses spread so will the falls.

Cameron said last year that the private sector will be creating lots of jobs for ex-public sector workers. Has anybody seen any of these new jobs yet or are they just reserved for people who are about to be made redundant from the public sector.

Ronald-McDonald1.jpg

Never in all my life have I read such ******* hypocrisy, you are really losing the plot RB. :angry:

Cameron said last year that the private sector will be creating lots of jobs for ex-public sector workers. Has anybody seen any of these new jobs yet or are they just reserved for people who are about to be made redundant from the public sector.

I've seen them. They are all part time in supermarkets.

Never in all my life have I read such ******* hypocrisy, you are really losing the plot RB. :angry:

I have to admit i find his position a little hard to make sense of

I have to admit i find his position a little hard to make sense of

For me, I want to see total destruction of the economy and the housing market, this is the only thing that will waken the sheeple from their slumber. The alternative is just to scary to contemplate. I assume RB wants a HPC at any cost?

Interesting point about job loses. An ex council estate not far from me prices have tanked, 3 beds on there at peak where £120k, now the bar has lowered to £80k with plenty marketing at this price or just above it. These working class low paid job people have had the worst so far, when the job loses spread so will the falls.

Thats really not a "fall" is it, when 10 years ago you would have picked up these " £80k" houses for less than £40k.

The problem with job losses is they are self feeding, the more people made redundant, the less money they spend and more get made redundant.

tbh given that the public sector employs 6m (please correct me if I am wrong) then probably a further 12m depend on the money.

I reckon we need to cut the public sector to about half, (just a wild guess) so that could give us 9m more unemployed.

of course this seems very far fetched so can't possibly happen, but what else can we do...

where are they all going to work?

Every pound paid in tax to pay for the public sector comes from someones tax or future tax.That pound if left instead with the taxpayer will be spent by them instead and will create real jobs ie where there is demand.When it goes in tax a large chunk goes in what the payer doesnt want or need.Its called malinvestent of capital.They are spending money the taxpayer would spend anyway if he didnt have it taken from him.Longer term it will create more not less jobs and wealth.

Yep, difficult decisions atm. Annual contracts are looking to be just that when previously people would have just been extended for another year.

Still vacancies / difficult to retain staff in the lower-paid part-time work so this would fit with the national picture: decent jobs going being replaced by lower-paid part-time work.

Calm down people. All this talk of job losses is an intentionally orchastrated ploy. Net effect....

1. Keep the proles scared

2. Keep the proles grateful to just have a job

3. Stop demands for wage rises.

The government and BOE want inflation but never wage inflation.