House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Greedy Landlords Are Putting Up Rents -- Rent Hiking Bonanza

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Greedy-landlords-putting-yahoofinanceuk-1487688503.html

Greedy landlords are putting up rents
The research by money.co.uk shows that almost half of Britain's private landlords are planning to increase their rates by at least 4% this year. Around two million households will be affected by the hikes paying around £550 extra each per year. That's collectively over one billion pounds of rent increases!
These hikes will come as bad news for many tenants already struggling to cope with rising inflation and the extra costs of the VAT hike.
But unfortunately rising costs hit landlords as well as tenants — so in many circumstances while rent increases are frustrating, they may also be justified. But it's still important to know your rights as a tenant and be aware of what you can do if you believe your rent is being unfairly hiked.

Soundsd good in theory for the BTL "entrepreneurs" but reality will dictate otherwise as unemployed and skint people do not pay higher rents. The market will rule supreme as the bubble continues to unwind and austerity becomes the new reality for all but the elites (banksters, MPs and over paid council workers).

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Greedy-landlords-putting-yahoofinanceuk-1487688503.html

Greedy landlords are putting up rents
The research by money.co.uk shows that almost half of Britain's private landlords are planning to increase their rates by at least 4% this year. Around two million households will be affected by the hikes paying around £550 extra each per year. That's collectively over one billion pounds of rent increases!
These hikes will come as bad news for many tenants already struggling to cope with rising inflation and the extra costs of the VAT hike.
But unfortunately rising costs hit landlords as well as tenants — so in many circumstances while rent increases are frustrating, they may also be justified. But it's still important to know your rights as a tenant and be aware of what you can do if you believe your rent is being unfairly hiked.

Soundsd good in theory for the BTL "entrepreneurs" but reality will dictate otherwise as unemployed and skint people do not pay higher rents. The market will rule supreme as the bubble continues to unwind and austerity becomes the new reality for all but the elites (banksters, MPs and over paid council workers).

It's probably greedy agents putting up rents.

Good luck with that, I pay less rent than I did 5 years ago for a lot more property, both in comparable parts of London.

Good luck with that, I pay less rent than I did 5 years ago for a lot more property, both in comparable parts of London.

My landlord just tried it on me. I said that I couldn't afford the increase (which is true) He backed down immediately as I am a very good tenant

I think they just try it on to be honest

I am paying about 2/3rd less for rent than last year! Moved into a friend's house with a self-contained flat. As Del's Roman forebear would have said: Lovlicus jubblicus.*

* :blink: ............................................... :) , :angry:

Local BTL area, looking more like a retrified hole on each passing, littered with empty to lets on each street.

Saturation and lots of properties with a rent of zero.

That is before students get stung for £10k's of tuition fees.

But unfortunately rising costs hit landlords as well as tenants

BS.

Landlords are raking it in.

Has housing benefit been cut to a tenth of what is was as mortgage rates fell from over 5% to just 0.5%?

Thats what should have happened. Housing benefit budget cut from £20bn to £2bn. See what rent inflation would have been like then.