House Price Crash Forum
Ungeared

Auto Windscreens Goes Into Administration

Puns aside, are these the bunch that hang about supermarket car parks offering to fix windscreen chips there and then?

I simply do not believe that squirting gunk into a chip in glass then polishing it would not leave a huge blob in the screen. Obviously, neither did many others.

I'm thinking of buying a £10 DIY self repair kit for my chip (as I am not fully comp) , but it is only in the passenger side, and stayed the same size for the last 2 years. Not bad on considering the frost.

---

Anecdotal, a friend had her windscreen smash. Autoglass quoted £500 for a VW Polo. She got it elsewhere from an independent for £90 fully fitted!

As a brief aside we had a great advert in NZ for a windscreen firm called Novus, and their tagline ( put into music on the advert) was "Show us your crack", it was fantastic!

I'm a bit surprised at this. The business they're in isn't exactly discretionary: if your windscreen gets smashed, you've got to replace it or else your car is off the road. I also suspect that most windscreen jobs are done on insurance. Therefore I'd imagine that the size of market is not going to vary much from year to year. I can only presume that there must have been significant overcapacity, and that something has now happened to correct that (e.g. insurance companies being more stringent about when they will pay for a full-scale replacement and when they won't, resulting in the car owner doing a gunk job).