House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

I Spoke To An Estate Agent Today....

I spoke to an estate agent today, 1st time in 12 months. Was curious about a house that has been up for sale for 12 months, recently reduced 50k. I asked if I could view it but was told that they were too busy to show me at the time convenient for me...so I said not to worry and I'd come back at a later date when it was convenient for me. She then proceeded to tell me that had an offer on it and it was in the negotiation phase so I'd better not leave it long !!!!

I thanked her for her time and and told her in this case I wasn't interested, thanked her and hung up. She tried to get my details off me before I hung up.

The last time I spoke to one, the agent told me there was no point in viewing if I wasn't prepared to offer the full asking price as they had someone lined up to buy.....I thanked him then too and watched on property bee ( for 6 months ) while the price dropped 25K then sold.

I f**king hate estate agents...I wont talk to one again for another 12 months.

Certainly I will refuse to get into any 'closed bids' situations when the time comes.

Or rather, what I will do if they approach me with that, I will submit a bid that is less than my previous offer. We'll see if there actually are any other interested parties shall we?

Very sensible approach.

I just don't believe a word they say. I think she was just trying to get me to view at the time that suited her and make me panic into buying!!!

Do people for this s*** ?

There is definitely a gap in the market for an honest agency that never lie. I reckon they would get loads of business

I believe there is one in Bournemouth. Or at least there was last year. They used to use honest descriptions like "needs a lot of work" or "very close to the road"

I spoke to an estate agent today, 1st time in 12 months. Was curious about a house that has been up for sale for 12 months, recently reduced 50k. I asked if I could view it but was told that they were too busy to show me at the time convenient for me...so I said not to worry and I'd come back at a later date when it was convenient for me. She then proceeded to tell me that had an offer on it and it was in the negotiation phase so I'd better not leave it long !!!!

I thanked her for her time and and told her in this case I wasn't interested, thanked her and hung up. She tried to get my details off me before I hung up.

The last time I spoke to one, the agent told me there was no point in viewing if I wasn't prepared to offer the full asking price as they had someone lined up to buy.....I thanked him then too and watched on property bee ( for 6 months ) while the price dropped 25K then sold.

Keep on eye on it. It's my bet that the idiot EA is now kicking herself for losing a viewing!

I think the fear tactic has become industry wide. They've successfully sold overpriced sh*t to people for so long using it that they know nothing else. I've noticed the same tactic is now used in my neck of the woods (Fulham) with rental properties (saw a sign that said 'Let within 48 hours!' in an EA window yesterday with 75% of rental ads in the window marked as already let). Despite a falling market it will take EAs a long time to stop scaring people into overpaying.

I think your approach may be the right one although I wish there was a way to make this despicable technique clear and obvious to everyone.

I phoned and EA today about a house which has been on 6 months and reduced by 20k. It has had no offers on it. Still 26k overpriced in my view.

I kept asking her if the seller was in chain but she would not give me an answer. She just kept saying "do you want to view?"

I asked her 4 times throughout our conversation and she wouldn't tell me. Was it such a terrible question to ask?

Its the case of the unsophisticated buyer against the sophisticated seller (agent acting as seller) in opaque markets. Set yourself a price and stick to it.

Perhaps a brown envelope with £1000 inside may help?

I had a conversation on Friday with an agent he had just had an interview for the local property papers where he was saying 2011 will be the last year of bargains, low rates etc etc.

Anyway i was calling him about a repo which was under offer. He asked what i was looking for and i said only repo's. He then said just because it starts with the 'R' word doesn't mean it's best. Which i replied i'm not interested in kite flyers still asking 2006-2007 prices. To which he was lost for words and i said goodbye and hung up.

Do people fall for this s*** ?

They are playing on people's most basic fear: not being able to have shelter. It is a very potent technique, even if completely amoral.

I asked her 4 times throughout our conversation and she wouldn't tell me. Was it such a terrible question to ask?

Good effort.

It's a game of poker - keep your cards close to your chest, but do try to see theirs!

They are playing on people's most basic fear: not being able to have shelter. It is a very potent technique, even if completely amoral.

Huh? I doubt they do much business with homeless people...

It's simply estate agents having a rather low IQ so they don't know any better selling techniques, after all they wouldn't be estate agents otherwise. :)

This week will be 2 weeks to the day since I viewed a house in the Mumbles, Swansea.

The EA has not contacted me since to ask me for my views, whether I am going to put a bid in, etc. I know where the owner works and will pop in later this week and let her know I am not making an offer... and that the EA that she is going to pay commission to if she sells can't even be arsed to contact a potential buyer.

I think the fear tactic has become industry wide. They've successfully sold overpriced sh*t to people for so long using it that they know nothing else. I've noticed the same tactic is now used in my neck of the woods (Fulham) with rental properties (saw a sign that said 'Let within 48 hours!' in an EA window yesterday with 75% of rental ads in the window marked as already let). Despite a falling market it will take EAs a long time to stop scaring people into overpaying.

I think your approach may be the right one although I wish there was a way to make this despicable technique clear and obvious to everyone.

I seem to remember a thread (in the dim distant past) which listed some of the EA techniques and offered effective counter measures. Can any one else remember it?

There is definitely a gap in the market for an honest agency that never lie. I reckon they would get loads of business

...or tell you the TRUTH when you ask them a straight forward question...rather than avoiding the truth, hiding the truth or fabricating the truth. ;)

It's simply estate agents having a rather low IQ so they don't know any better selling techniques, after all they wouldn't be estate agents otherwise. :)

It's white collar work for blue collar people.

Did you see that programme 'Mary Queen of Shops' or something the other day with her applying her skills to a London Estate Agency?

I was struck by the technique of the estate agents' star salesman. He didn't say anything about the houses he was showing potential vendors round - in fact he rather rudely spent most of the time on the phone and when they did get hold of him to ask a question, he just nonchalantly said "I don't know. To be honest I think it'll be sold by the end of the day'. And on another occasion when asked how many viewings a house had, he basically lied and said 'There are 17 viewings today". But the house was still on the market a week later with no offers. So clearly a lie and one that was so outrageous it was entirely believable to a desperate purchaser.

Worse, sellers are paying fees and eventually commission for this nonsense. I think we missed out on becoming EAs 10 years ago - there was a bubble and a great opportunity for honest EAs.

A friend was going open a shop called 'Honest EA' just top see what business she got. Never been an EA but she said she surely could not be as bad as some.

I suggest people who don't work in the sales industry watch "boiler room".

You have to say anything, that pushes the limits of reality to get the sale.

"Always closing!"

Give your details - that way we will know how genuinely busy they are. If they manage to squeeze in time between flogging 25 houses a day to ring you to arrange viewings then we'll know ...

I don't get this EA tactic of saying there's loads of viewings, other people interested etc. That would just make me think the house will go for more than whats it worth so I wont bother sticking a bid in. The house I bought last year had been on the market six months, so at least they didn't insult my IQ by trying it on then...

Certainly I will refuse to get into any 'closed bids' situations when the time comes.

Or rather, what I will do if they approach me with that, I will submit a bid that is less than my previous offer. We'll see if there actually are any other interested parties shall we?

You might feel quite a chump if there really is another offer, and you lose out though!!

I'd just keep my bid the same.

I'm not homeless or poor but I can tell you I am stressed out of my mind every time I have to look for a new property to rent (or buy for that matter).

Never underestimate the opposition. Big mistake. :)

I seem to remember a thread (in the dim distant past) which listed some of the EA techniques and offered effective counter measures. Can any one else remember it?

I've just created one, I didn't know there had been one before.