House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Topher Bear

Sstc!

Hi. I know this is anecdotal, but would like to share briefly on main forum. My wife friends who have been trying to sell/rent/sell. Have now finally found a buyer a year on from first marketing. It is to a landlord, but is sold at 2.5% under asking price. But, that is a reduced asking price so sale is 23% under original asking price and 14% under original 2007 purchase price. It is a nice 2 bed place in a popular part of town. Should normally have sold easy! Our area is wiltshire.

Hi. I know this is anecdotal, but would like to share briefly on main forum. My wife friends who have been trying to sell/rent/sell. Have now finally found a buyer a year on from first marketing. It is to a landlord, but is sold at 2.5% under asking price. But, that is a reduced asking price so sale is 23% under original asking price and 14% under original 2007 purchase price. It is a nice 2 bed place in a popular part of town. Should normally have sold easy! Our area is wiltshire.

A friend sold a house last week for a few grand less than asking price - not even 10% below his first asking.

Did you try to let it too?

Wiltshire too.

A big house on the same road as us.

Bought in 2007.

Asking price at 50K under 2006 purchase.

Big assumptions - if it sells and if its bought for the standard asking price - 10% then they are looking at ~ 100K loss.

Looks like what little stuff is shitfting is going for 2003/2004ish prices.

Not me. People we know.

They initially tried to sell as they got a new job elsewhere. Couldn't sell for more than they paid for it, so tried to rent it, and then themselves rent near new job. This failed to attract any tenants (one early viewing were smokers, but promised they would'nt smoke indoors. They had stipulated non smokers. Agent strongly suggested they accept them. Now we know why, virtually no one else was interested, then they got cold feet about someone else living in thier house, went back to try and sell.

Desperation seems to have kicked in as they have now accepted well under original sale price.

This is the point I wanted to make. Desperation and acceptance is beginning to creep in. Hopefully we should start to see some increasing movement on the downside

In for a penny...

When we moved into this rented place in August 2006, the owner became our landlord and he went off to a new job in the Midlands, buying himself a £495k house to live in. Along comes the crunch, the recession and the closure of the business he worked for. He puts his new property on the market for £525k (because he's a shrewd business man). No sale. Short version: he had to let it go last November for £415k. Ouch.

Not much on the market here (West Wilts), mostly stuff that seemingly is on every other year! Houses in the bracket we are looking at seem to be priced at complete random- some well over 2007 prices and others well below. Both seem to sell at about the same rate! Most people I know are still delusional about the price of their houses and what they would achieve if put up for sale.