House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Has Anyone Undergone Chemotherapy Treatment Here?

Just wondered if any HPCers have had to undergo chemotherapy and what their experience was like? I start 6 rounds of R-Chop21 on Friday and can't say I'm looking forward to it much.

Just wondered if any HPCers have had to undergo chemotherapy and what their experience was like? I start 6 rounds of R-Chop21 on Friday and can't say I'm looking forward to it much.

Sorry, I haven't. And no-one 'near' to me has either. (Btw, I have never heard of R-Chop21 ...which sounds really horrible! I guess that's a specific type of chemo?) But I do wish u all the best for your treatment. (I imagine that it won't be nice ... but necessary?) I hope someone else will be along on here in a while who can be more helpful. (Being not well makes house prices seem a little less important!)

Good luck!

A neighbour has. Not sure which one. Several rounds. Had to stay overnight whilst they did it.

Bit tired but mostly ok. Not been eating much though so they been feeding him up.

I have had friends , family and taken care of people undergoing chemotherapy under the NHS, whilst fortunately not having to do it myself. Even for one type of cancer there can be many chemotherapy regimes all with their own particular mix of toxicity and side-effects. Not easy to entirely predict what the experience will be. Cancer services across the NHS is much like the rest of the NHS - it is varied.

But, I can say that cancer services are on the whole, rather brilliant. You will be monitored closely, and you will have direct access to services at pretty much any time and anywhere in the UK, likely without having to go through many hoops. You will also be given any information you need and experts at hand to answer your questions.

It is one of the things the NHS does well (no really, it does) given the budget and the wastefulness.

Good luck, best wishes on your journey.

Yes the care received so far from the NHS as been top notch. My main local hospital recently went under a big refurbishment so at least I have a nice place to go! Hopefully the chemo will do its thing and this can just be put down to a bad year in the future.

Yes the care received so far from the NHS as been top notch. My main local hospital recently went under a big refurbishment so at least I have a nice place to go! Hopefully the chemo will do its thing and this can just be put down to a bad year in the future.

No experience I'm glad to say. I do have experience of stuff that brought me to a closer understanding of my own human frailty, and all I can say is my heart goes out to you. Very best wishes and keep up that positive attitude. Tremendous advances have been made in recent years and your chances of a full recovery are better than they ever have been. Here's hoping that's the case. Chin up!

I nursed my mother as she died of cancer. Treatment including chemo had won her another 43 years of life, much of it very active, after she first contracted the disease. My wife is still fit 44 years after chemo treatment for leukemia. Good results can be obtained, best of luck.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

Theres also some good results with Vitamin D and Cancer survival rates.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2009/09/21/vitamin-d-and-cancer-survival/

It might be worth discussing with your consultant, whether high vitamin D levels will help your chances or speed of recovery and if your levels are low.

I dont think theres many studies out there on the benefits vitamin D and all the different forms of cancer.

Either way good luck!

Trickster I do take vitamin D supplements and also have a 'paleo' type diet. I believe this has helped me as although my stage hasn't been determined yet (waiting on further tests to come in) my oncologist said it is almost unheard of for someone to go as long as I have without symptoms etc and that my body seems to be fighting the cancer on its own.

Thats good annecdotal evidence on the benefits of VitD.

I'm a firm believer in letting the body fight its own battles as the immune system can target individual cells just like it does to virii and bacteria far better than any form of man made treatment could imo based on current released technology.

Something else that could be useful is Marmite. The B vitamins help cell division and Folic Acid can be both useful and harmful. Harmful becuase it can feed some cancers but useful becuase if levels are low, DNA synthesis and repair are impaired and this could lead to cancer development so its about maintaining the optimum.

I've been doing about Vit D3 50,00ui for 3 months now and so has a friend of mine (US mil fitness instructor) and we have both started craving for marmite over the last week or two. We dont live together so its not like a shared diet or anything. Now as VitD is beneficial to 200 genes this will have a positive effect on your immune system but its also worth pointing out all RDA for vitamins and minerals are very very conservative and its quite possible you might be low with some vits or minerals which then restricts the bodies ability to fight and repair things properly elsewhere.

If you have been taking VitD its worth having the level checked even though you do supplement becuase these guys found their levels were half of what they should be even thought they thought of themselves as healthy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1351422/Five-volunteers-Vitamin-D-levels-tested-results-shocking-Theyre--Generation-D.html

Likewise if you can get your consultant to do a full vit & min analysis then you can spot what the chemo might be knocking out of your system directly or indirectly but also aiding your bodies own ability to repair itself as well.

Green Tea is also very good but its not to everyones taste and might have a negative effect on the chemo becuase of green teas high antitoxicant properties.

Either way good news for VitD and lets hope you nip this in the bud. :) BTW Stress and worry wont help so getting the mind sorted and plenty of sleep is also very useful. The body does the bulk of its repairs when you sleep and the peak demand for Vitamins and Minerals is at 4am which is why the body floods the blood with vit and mins during this time frame fwiw. If you take a multi vit tab daily it might pay more to have it just before you go to bed so its got time to be digested and flowing around the body before it gets expelled. :)

Trickester. Are you balancing that Vit D intake with a zinc & magnesium supplement? As you know i have my own reasons for high dose Vit D (5-7000iu a day in my case) and was advised to take Zn and Mg to balance the additional calcium uptake.

Thats good annecdotal evidence on the benefits of VitD.

I'm a firm believer in letting the body fight its own battles as the immune system can target individual cells just like it does to virii and bacteria far better than any form of man made treatment could imo based on current released technology.

Something else that could be useful is Marmite. The B vitamins help cell division and Folic Acid can be both useful and harmful. Harmful becuase it can feed some cancers but useful becuase if levels are low, DNA synthesis and repair are impaired and this could lead to cancer development so its about maintaining the optimum.

I've been doing about Vit D3 50,00ui for 3 months now and so has a friend of mine (US mil fitness instructor) and we have both started craving for marmite over the last week or two. We dont live together so its not like a shared diet or anything. Now as VitD is beneficial to 200 genes this will have a positive effect on your immune system but its also worth pointing out all RDA for vitamins and minerals are very very conservative and its quite possible you might be low with some vits or minerals which then restricts the bodies ability to fight and repair things properly elsewhere.

If you have been taking VitD its worth having the level checked even though you do supplement becuase these guys found their levels were half of what they should be even thought they thought of themselves as healthy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1351422/Five-volunteers-Vitamin-D-levels-tested-results-shocking-Theyre--Generation-D.html

Likewise if you can get your consultant to do a full vit & min analysis then you can spot what the chemo might be knocking out of your system directly or indirectly but also aiding your bodies own ability to repair itself as well.

Green Tea is also very good but its not to everyones taste and might have a negative effect on the chemo becuase of green teas high antitoxicant properties.

Either way good news for VitD and lets hope you nip this in the bud. :) BTW Stress and worry wont help so getting the mind sorted and plenty of sleep is also very useful. The body does the bulk of its repairs when you sleep and the peak demand for Vitamins and Minerals is at 4am which is why the body floods the blood with vit and mins during this time frame fwiw. If you take a multi vit tab daily it might pay more to have it just before you go to bed so its got time to be digested and flowing around the body before it gets expelled. :)

Thanks for the advice. Marmite contains some things I don't eat and I think I should get enough B vitamins from the meat I eat. I also have at least 10 different types of vegetables a day. I tend to take my multi-vitamin with my evening meal so hopefully it is doing its best.

My mum is currently undergoing chemo and tbh the only real side effects have been mouth ulcers and constipation, which can get quite bad. Some sickness bit she has anti sickness drugs for this. I think it does vary with the type you are on though as from what I understand there are quite a few different mixes of it.

I'd say the worst thing about the chemo is the it has on the immune system and as I mums type of cancer already lowers the immune system it can me the slightest little infection means a hospital stay.

Id recommend increasing basic hygiene. Wash hands regularly, before touching food, after handling money etc. Common sense stuff really but you just have to remember.

Hope all turns out well for you.

I too can verify that it is not all bad within our NHS.

A few weeks ago, I developed breathing problems, and was admitted to hosptial by ambulance.

Whilst in hosptial, within days, all manner of various diagnostic tests including a CAT scan had been done, I was treated with anti-biotics and steroids, and an operation to correct the problem was completed one week later.

I received excellent care.

Wishing you good luck with your treatment.

I've been doing about Vit D3 50,00ui for 3 months now and so has a friend of mine (US mil fitness instructor) and we have both started craving for marmite over the last week or two. We dont live together so its not like a shared diet or anything.

that is interesting.

After reading the Vit D thread on here, several weeks ago, I started taking Vit D3, each day.

And I too have fancied marmite so much, that I have even starting putting some of it on the side of my plate with my evening meal.

that is interesting.

After reading the Vit D thread on here, several weeks ago, I started taking Vit D3, each day.

And I too have fancied marmite so much, that I have even starting putting some of it on the side of my plate with my evening meal.

I take high dose Vitamin D as I was diagnosed with Clinically Isolated Syndrome (precurser to MS) last November. I am sure I have read that high dose Vitamin D increases the need for several B vitamins - hence your cravings for Marmite.

I take B Complex and B12 as they are generally thought to be neuroprotective.

Edit - if you intend to take Vitamin D in high doses in the long term you need to take zinc and Magnesium as well.

Look after your oral hygiene and make sure you floss daily. You're more vulnerable to gum infections while your on chemo.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Good luck. I am suprised no-one has mentioned that ketogenic diets are thought to be amazing for cancer - cancer cells can't use ketones, just glucose, so get plenty of fat, low carb and moderate protein.

Have a look on Google.

Good luck. I am suprised no-one has mentioned that ketogenic diets are thought to be amazing for cancer - cancer cells can't use ketones, just glucose, so get plenty of fat, low carb and moderate protein.

Have a look on Google.

Good point

Tumeric is a known tumour supressor so worth incorporating into your diet. I use it because it has benefits for my condition. I often add it to fish and soups.

I take high dose Vitamin D as I was diagnosed with Clinically Isolated Syndrome (precurser to MS) last November. I am sure I have read that high dose Vitamin D increases the need for several B vitamins - hence your cravings for Marmite.

I take B Complex and B12 as they are generally thought to be neuroprotective.

Edit - if you intend to take Vitamin D in high doses in the long term you need to take zinc and Magnesium as well.

Glad to hear you are in complete remission at present.

Thanks for the advice.

Do you take zinc and mangesium in supplement forrm, or rely on it from your food?

I intend to take Vit D in high dose until we get some summer sun.

Good luck matey, puts things into perspective, admire your positive attitude, all the best and wishing you a speedy recovery.