House Price Crash Forum
easy2012

Bbc License Fee Is Taxation Without Representatin

Maybe some middle option. Returning BBC to 2 channels TV, and cutting about half of its radio stations and killing off its reporting on news/current affair would please everyone. It has become spread too thinly, and quality has suffered IMO. BBC 3 is barely watchable but for family guy/american dad repeats.

I'm largely in agreement with that, although not with killing off its reporting, but it needs cutting back - they don't need to spend a fortune shipping hundreds of people to report on every minor event.

The TV licencing people need bringing under control, though. Their assumption of guilt, prove your innocence attitude is completely unacceptable, and I'm sure we can all agree on that if nothing else.

Can't get too upset about it myself. I quite like the BBC and download enough iPlayer content onto my PMP at the start of the week to keep me entertained for the next 7 days.

Its a shame these arguments (and there are many of them!) always centre around a couple of programs that TV snobs find easy to bash. Of course the BBC has plenty more to offer. It's always the same, someone mentions a genre that they do like and someone lists a rubbish program in that genre and therefore all their output is awful. It's like those people who think all music is rubbish but don't ever look beyond Radio 1.

When I browse through iPlayer I often think of the people who claim they really can't find a couple of hours of good telly to watch each day and wonder just how uniterested in the world you have to be to really find nothing of interest. If your that picky perhaps TV isn't for you ;)!

My company had a threatening letter about watching TV on Pc when I rang and queried this the answer was you are guilty until you can prove innocence.....sooner the licence fee is abolished the better...plus we will lose a raft of self serving bureaucrats.

Reminds me of an ex-work colleague who didn't have a TV yet got hassled so much he caved in and bought a license for a quiet life! Definitely needs to be fixed.

But personally I'd support fixing a broken system rather than getting rid of it. Be careful what you wish for...

Edited by Orbital

Can't get too upset about it myself. I quite like the BBC and download enough iPlayer content onto my PMP at the start of the week to keep me entertained for the next 7 days.

Its a shame these arguments (and there are many of them!) always centre around a couple of programs that TV snobs find easy to bash. Of course the BBC has plenty more to offer. It's always the same, someone mentions a genre that they do like and someone lists a rubbish program in that genre and therefore all their output is awful. It's like those people who think all music is rubbish but don't ever look beyond Radio 1.

When I browse through iPlayer I often think of the people who claim they really can't find a couple of hours of good telly to watch each day and wonder just how uniterested in the world you have to be to really find nothing of interest. If your that picky perhaps TV isn't for you ;)!

Reminds me of an ex-work colleague who didn't have a TV yet got hassled so much he caved in and bought a license for a quiet life! Definitely needs to be fixed.

But personally I'd support fixing a broken system rather than getting rid of it. Be careful what you wish for...

The problem is like many of our institutions (banks, local government, parliament) they have forgotten what they should be doing....working for the public/customers ..not just ATMS for senior staff. Not sure this can be cured.

Very interesting argument "Taxation Without Representation".

The web-voting would be very interesting too - IF approved and put in practice, which I really doubt.

But if it did, I think most people would probably vote for radical cuts, Channel 4 format (adverts funds), etc.

Since some tories seem so keen on 'representation', how about an online vote on public service cuts to pay for banker bailouts?

You can legally own a TV, watch TV legally and do so without a license/

I do all three and I don't have to pay for a license, I get the occasional visit and a standardised menu put through the door, they soon apologise and clear off when asked though.

And you have a different view about which is the overall better (or least bad, at any rate) option. That is your own view - in your view it's wrong, in mine it's not, but that is simply just a different opinion,. Neither of us can claim absolute right or wrongness.

No Riedquat. The opposite position to yours would be if I decided to forbid you from watching the BBC, or forbid you to subscribe to Sky, or to subscribe to the BBC (if it became voluntary), or to donate to it, like the Americans PBS ( http://www.pbs.org ) or NPR ( http://www.npr.org ).

You are forcing me to pay, under threat of physical force (bailiffs and police). I am not proposing to force to, you or forbid you from, anything.

Do you understand it now?

Do you understand now why your position is authoritarian?

Since some tories seem so keen on 'representation', how about an online vote on public service cuts to pay for banker bailouts?

Actually it is the other way round. That huge Ponzi scheme was bringing billions to the treasury. And even with all that money we already had a deficit. The public sector was over 50% of GDP. After the Ponzi collapse, revenues went down, and the deficit got even worse.

But I think you are onto something. I think if we had direct democracy, the people would learn pretty quickly about public finances. Seconds after a law like that were passed in Parliament no sane saver (or pension plan) would lend to the UK gov. Instead of having 4 years to balance the books, we would be forced to live within our means in 24hrs!

It would be very interesting to see the BBC Six O'clock News trying to explain that.

It would be very interesting to see the BBC Six O'clock News trying to explain that.

Instead of having mislead us as they have done for the last 3 years before, and after, the election.

No Riedquat. The opposite position to yours would be if I decided to forbid you from watching the BBC, or forbid you to subscribe to Sky, or to subscribe to the BBC (if it became voluntary), or to donate to it, like the Americans PBS ( http://www.pbs.org ) or NPR ( http://www.npr.org ).

You are forcing me to pay, under threat of physical force (bailiffs and police). I am not proposing to force to, you or forbid you from, anything.

Do you understand it now?

Do you understand now why your position is authoritarian?

You still don't understand difference of opinion, Tired of Waiting? I didn't say that it wasn't somewhat authoritarian, just that I don't think that being so is necessarily a bad, or the worst option. No different in principal from any other tax; is it any worse than the VAT you've got to spend to buy the TV in the first place, for example? Are you against the very idea of tax at all? Perhaps; I'm not, so being completely against it would be a difference of opinion. It doesn't have to be an opposite (with many things there isn't an opposite anyway, just a two or more different views).

If I were you I'd be more concerned about having to pay VAT on clothes, which are essentials, or fuel to keep warm enough to survive in winter.

My company had a threatening letter about watching TV on Pc when I rang and queried this the answer was you are guilty until you can prove innocence.....sooner the licence fee is abolished the better...plus we will lose a raft of self serving bureaucrats.

Because some retard on the end of a phone said you are guilty until proven innocent, doesn't make it so. It's nonsense. They do have to prove you are watching tv.

It doesn't have to be an opposite (with many things there isn't an opposite anyway, just a two or more different views).

Deciding what colour to paint the town street lamps is a matter of opinion. Whether or not to take money with the threat of violence is more fundamental.

Deciding what colour to paint the town street lamps is a matter of opinion. Whether or not to take money with the threat of violence is more fundamental.

Just like every tax, as I said. The choices in that case are hoping enough people chip in to paint the lamps, tax people to paint the lamps, or don't paint them and let them rust away. All have their pros and cons. None of them are an absolute right or wrong, and which is the best choice is a matter of opinion.

Just like every tax, as I said. The choices in that case are hoping enough people chip in to paint the lamps, tax people to paint the lamps, or don't paint them and let them rust away. All have their pros and cons. None of them are an absolute right or wrong, and which is the best choice is a matter of opinion.

No, the choice here is: pay for someone else's street lamps (which you neither use nor want) or we lock you up in jail.

When lots of important things have had to be cut, the BBC is a luxury we can do without.

Riedquat, I am not saying you can't have the BBC. Of course you can. If you - and millions like you - enjoy watching the BBC so much, I am sure you will keep paying the fee if the BBC turns into a subscription channel. There. Problem solved.

Just don't force others to pay for your personal preferences. This is the authoritarian bit.

You still don't understand difference of opinion, Tired of Waiting? I didn't say that it wasn't somewhat authoritarian, just that I don't think that being so is necessarily a bad, or the worst option.

So you think it is OK to be authoritarian?! :blink: Well, it is not. And this is not a "matter of opinion". There are universal values (since Abaelardus, BTW, 11th century) and this is one.

And before you continue to change the subject, I said that this comment was authoritarian:

You don't have to have a TV.

(...)

In other words, either I pay the BBC fee, or you will forbid me from watching any other channel. This is authoritarian, and wrong. And this is not a "matter of opinion", it is a fact.

No different in principal from any other tax; is it any worse than the VAT you've got to spend to buy the TV in the first place, for example? Are you against the very idea of tax at all? Perhaps; I'm not, so being completely against it would be a difference of opinion. It doesn't have to be an opposite (with many things there isn't an opposite anyway, just a two or more different views).

If I were you I'd be more concerned about having to pay VAT on clothes, which are essentials, or fuel to keep warm enough to survive in winter.

You are trying to change the subject again. Not all taxes are unfair, obviously. Countries need tax money to pay for essential services. But government / public sector propaganda is not one of them. Actually, the more authoritarian the regime more government propaganda they have, and less free media they have.

Just turn the BBC into a subscription channel, and we can live happily side by side. :DJust stop forcing me to pay for your favourite TV channel. That is all.

Edited by Tired of Waiting