House Price Crash Forum
guitarman001

Just Had A Heated Discussion With...

....my barber!!! He's a pretty cool guy... then we started to talk house prices. Almost got a close shave... ;)

I found out that several of his customers have been trying to sell their flats, but to no avail, and are instead renting them out. Some of them can't really afford their homes, and his niece pays more on her rent than she would on a mortgage but cannot get the finance. I started to go on about affordability and how you could check it on wesbites, and how prices are forecast to come down this year - also how insane prices are etc - you get the drift. He started saying the banks want to control us, that money wasn't real (point being they should lend anyway?). Basically the point was that the banks can't just turn off the tap, people can afford rents so should be able to get a mortgage - another point that FTBers were being kept at bay. You can imagine my response... I don't think he was happy!

Anyway I quickly realised the error of my ways and just nodded and smiled lest I come out with a skinhead.... But wow, haven't had such a heated discussion for a while! Pressure is really starting to build, I think, and mortgage rationing is the sole driver IMO.

....my barber!!! He's a pretty cool guy... then we started to talk house prices. Almost got a close shave... ;)

I found out that several of his customers have been trying to sell their flats, but to no avail, and are instead renting them out. Some of them can't really afford their homes, and his niece pays more on her rent than she would on a mortgage but cannot get the finance. I started to go on about affordability and how you could check it on wesbites, and how prices are forecast to come down this year - also how insane prices are etc - you get the drift. He started saying the banks want to control us, that money wasn't real (point being they should lend anyway?). Basically the point was that the banks can't just turn off the tap, people can afford rents so should be able to get a mortgage - another point that FTBers were being kept at bay. You can imagine my response... I don't think he was happy!

Anyway I quickly realised the error of my ways and just nodded and smiled lest I come out with a skinhead.... But wow, haven't had such a heated discussion for a while! Pressure is really starting to build, I think, and mortgage rationing is the sole driver IMO.

I had a similar discussion, the barber pulled my hair over to one side and put a big pink clip on it, I had to sit there like a nob while he lectured me. Time for a new barber.

I found out that several of his customers have been trying to sell their flats, but to no avail, ....///..

ld be able to get a mortgage - another point that FTBers were being kept at bay. You can imagine my response... I don't think he was happy!

Pressure is really starting to build, I think, and mortgage LIAR LOAN rationing is the sole driver IMO.

you do not expect barber to pilot Boeing 747 ... why do you think he knows anything about economics ????

Pressure is really starting to build, I think, and mortgage rationing is the sole driver IMO.

Crazy lending is what got us here in the first place. What goes up, must come down, what goes around, comes around...

Funny how the sheeple are blaming the current stagnant housing market on the banks not lending. They are to blame, but the finger should be pointed at how much they were lending before rather than how little they are lending now.

The more I think about it the more I realise just how angry he was getting - and I've never seen him that way! I was going to say 'surely if prices HALVED then that would be even better for your niece....' - but when people here that sort of comment they KNOW they cannot counter it without revealing their greedy self-interest and so either get very angry or just walk away.

The more I think about it the more I realise just how angry he was getting - and I've never seen him that way! I was going to say 'surely if prices HALVED then that would be even better for your niece....' - but when people here that sort of comment they KNOW they cannot counter it without revealing their greedy self-interest and so either get very angry or just walk away.

I have noticed this many, many times.... People get REALLY shirty when it comes to their "property investment".... :rolleyes: