House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cartimandua51

Spell Check

Sorry for the idiot question, but for the first time since HPC's format changed I needed to check a spelling (irresistible - one of my blind spot words!) & couln't find a spell check function. Is there one?

Sorry for the idiot question, but for the first time since HPC's format changed I needed to check a spelling (irresistible - one of my blind spot words!) & couln't find a spell check function. Is there one?

Yes, htere (sic) (just to confirm it hasn't been removed) is a spell checker. It underlines any misspelt words and grammatical errors with red dashes. I can't find how to switch it from US to UK spelling. I usually use the stem ise whereas the spell checker prefers ize in most cases. But its generally OK.

I think it must be built in as I'm using the default settings for the editor, I haven't made any changes.

Yes, htere (sic) (just to confirm it hasn't been removed) is a spell checker. It underlines any misspelt words and grammatical errors with red dashes. I can't find how to switch it from US to UK spelling. I usually use the stem ise whereas the spell checker prefers ize in most cases. But its generally OK.

I think it must be built in as I'm using the default settings for the editor, I haven't made any changes.

Isn't it the browser that does that, rather than the site?

Isn't it the browser that does that, rather than the site?

Think so..

Try firefox.. pretty sure spell check comes built in as standard now

Yes, htere (sic) (just to confirm it hasn't been removed) is a spell checker. It underlines any misspelt words and grammatical errors with red dashes.

Do you have Microsoft Word installed? I'd always assumed that was what was providing the spellchecker functionality for my setup.

It might be Firefox, I never use IE so I don't know if the red underlines show up on that as well.

Firefox - Tools,Options,Advanced - Check my spelling as I type.

You need to have the British English Dictionary installed though.

I have Firefox, and have this opttion ticked (testing!) but doesn't seem to be working by the red underlning that used to happen.Doesn't show up if I go to "preview post" either.

I'm baffled.

I use Open Office not Word - will have a ferret around in that, but I wouldn't have thought that would be it......

Thanks for the replies

Firefox - Tools,Options,Advanced - Check my spelling as I type.

You need to have the British English Dictionary installed though.

Sorrted! It was the dictionary which needed installing. Thanks

I use Open Office not Word - will have a ferret around in that, but I wouldn't have thought that would be it......

My advice may be out of date, I'd certainly never seen (or not noticed) that "check spelling" option in Firefox before.

My technique is slightly different . I learnt how to spell words correctly and how to use grammar when I was younger and now, when I write something, I remember the appropriate spelling and grammatical rules when I need them.

My technique is slightly different . I learnt how to spell words correctly and how to use grammar when I was younger and now, when I write something, I remember the appropriate spelling and grammatical rules when I need them.

If you've never been caught out by words ending -ible & -able, or -ent & -ant, especially if in a hurry or tired, I salute you. I like to have a belt and braces approach rather than inflict misspellings on readers.

How novel! :)

Some of the strength and beauty of the English Language is its ability to evolve and incorporate new words from other languages and for the meaning of words to change over time.

I read Eats Shoots and Leaves, and my perception was most of the rules of punctuation derive from the needs of printers to be consistent. They only came into widespread use from the 19th century. If we insist on over strict grammar and maybe spelling then some of the flexibility of the language will be lost.

Having said that I do cringe at some of the misspellings that are so commonplace. Also there must be differences of opinion over what is correct grammar, hence the number of books defining correct usage of the language. It can't be one correct way only.

If you've never been caught out by words ending -ible & -able, or -ent & -ant, especially if in a hurry or tired, I salute you. I like to have a belt and braces approach rather than inflict misspellings on readers.

I cannot claim never to make a mistake. It was only very recently that I realised that 'each other' was two words not one, much to my embarrassment. At least I know that 'everyday' is a word, although it is not the same thing as 'every day'. To my surprise 'anymore' seems to be a real word. I don't believe I will ever use it myself though.