House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid #FBPE#JC4PM#GTTO

Furniture

Moving to unfurnished rented next month so need some furniture. Have been to chain retailers and ikea before. A lot of stuff not solid wood but if its cheap, I don't mind, at least you know what you;re getting but so much stuff seems really expensive. I don't know whether the problem is my means, my expectations or retailers taking the piss and there is lots of margin to barter against.

Been out today shopping and I wouldn't describe them as "antique" but bought a few things that are not new shall we say. An oak chest of 4 drawers, a tall narrow chest of 5 pine drawers and a chrome and leather lounger chair, all for the princely sum of £250. I probably paid over the odds but compared to new retailers, I'm very happy with the deal.

The problem is the major purchase we need: Sofa bed, bed and dining table and chairs and decent new stuff just seems so bloody expensive. We ended up thinking an extending oak table and chairs for £500 was good value, yet later saw a nice but nothing fancy "antique" set for £250. I'm not sure what to think any more, what's a lot and what's not. The bed of choice was £1050 before mattress and the sofa bed was £2100! But it was bloody nice. Surely i can get 90% of the utility for 50% of the price elsewhere?

if you have a van, ebay is good value

£2100 for a sofa bed, it must be amazing!!

We were looking around for one last year and really liked the ones by Alstons. Very comfy as a sofa and as a bed but just under £1k instead. Still alot for a sofa bed but cheaper than what you saw....

When we got home we had a look on the internet and found the exact one we liked for 700 something, nowadays it's £825. Maybe the one you like is on the net somewhere cheaper too.

Have a look at www.relaxbeds.co.uk

£2100 for a sofa bed, it must be amazing!!

We were looking around for one last year and really liked the ones by Alstons. Very comfy as a sofa and as a bed but just under £1k instead. Still alot for a sofa bed but cheaper than what you saw....

When we got home we had a look on the internet and found the exact one we liked for 700 something, nowadays it's £825. Maybe the one you like is on the net somewhere cheaper too.

Have a look at www.relaxbeds.co.uk

It was very good, a Halo Soho sofa bed. My current rental has what seems to be a decent quality sofa bed but its neither that comfortable as a sofa or a bed. Will have a look out for this Alstons. £1K is nearer what I'm happy to pay. Otherwise its £180 for a futon from the local bed shop.

No van, wherebee. Neither the time or inclination to trawl ebay for something that fits the bill and buying without seeing. That's partly why I bought some of the first stuff I'd seen today. How much more wandering round shops would I need to do to save £50 on those 3 items? Larger pruchases are slightly more worth it.

IKEA is not cheap. It's expensive tat. I use a local cabinet maker who makes beautiful, dove tailed pine furniture or rather I did as it won't need replacing. £2,500 for Huge wardrobe, medium wardrobe and slightly smaller wardrobe, two chest of draws, two beds and four side table, kitchen table, coffe table and a computer desk. At the time I was renting so specified that it was easy to take down and put up again. Mrs Posh says we have too much pine in the house.

Moving to unfurnished rented next month so need some furniture. Have been to chain retailers and ikea before. A lot of stuff not solid wood but if its cheap, I don't mind, at least you know what you;re getting but so much stuff seems really expensive. I don't know whether the problem is my means, my expectations or retailers taking the piss and there is lots of margin to barter against.

Been out today shopping and I wouldn't describe them as "antique" but bought a few things that are not new shall we say. An oak chest of 4 drawers, a tall narrow chest of 5 pine drawers and a chrome and leather lounger chair, all for the princely sum of £250. I probably paid over the odds but compared to new retailers, I'm very happy with the deal.

The problem is the major purchase we need: Sofa bed, bed and dining table and chairs and decent new stuff just seems so bloody expensive. We ended up thinking an extending oak table and chairs for £500 was good value, yet later saw a nice but nothing fancy "antique" set for £250. I'm not sure what to think any more, what's a lot and what's not. The bed of choice was £1050 before mattress and the sofa bed was £2100! But it was bloody nice. Surely i can get 90% of the utility for 50% of the price elsewhere?

You've probably tried them already but John Lewis always seems to be the best compromise between price and quality to me. Good quality second hand stuff is way cheaper though as you've found. When I bought my first flat, I furnished it almost entirely from Ikea then bought nice things one at a time to replace the Ikea stuff as it disintegrated piece by piece over the next couple of years (except for the Poang chair which was indestructible).

IKEA is not cheap. It's expensive tat. I use a local cabinet maker who makes beautiful, dove tailed pine furniture or rather I did as it won't need replacing. £2,500 for Huge wardrobe, medium wardrobe and slightly smaller wardrobe, two chest of draws, two beds and four side table, kitchen table, coffe table and a computer desk. At the time I was renting so specified that it was easy to take down and put up again. Mrs Posh says we have too much pine in the house.

Find a good auction room that attracts good quality old furniture. All my furniture except for the sofa and the bed is from auctions and made from real wood.

I've lived in 4 different properties (bad landlords!) with my partner for the last 5 years, one thing I do regret is not buying solid wood furniture from the start.

I have spent so much money replacing CRAP from PIKEA over the years it's unbelievable.

BUT my partner swears by them so ;) what can you do

Some charities have specific furniture shops or even a warehouse with the stuff located a little out of town.

When we rented and left most of our decent stuff in duorage we managed to get a table and chairs and coffee table plus 2 chest drawers off freecycle. Did us for 6 months we had no choice oncolour or style etc but when it is for free you look on it a little different to paying

Check local auctioneers : its the general & household effects sales you usually want. Good solid furniture ( usually oak or similar) goes dirt cheap. Often new beds / mattresses. If you live anywhere near Bournemouth, Bulstrodes is excellent.

Sometimes you can get things delivered, otherwise hire a van.

That sounds good.

Don't suppose you can share his contact details here or by PM?

There's an Age Concern furniture wharehouse near me. When we needed to furnish our current flat we got most items from there, apart from a wooden bed. But the bed only cost around £125 anyway. I know of another charity wharehouse near me also. They're great for buying second hand because you can actually see the goods in person beforehand, and choose from a large range.

I'll admit we were lucky though. A decent leather sofa for £50, and basic kitchen table with 4 chairs also £50. Both were in very good condition, and delivery was free. I couldn't have asked for more really.

Aged antiquey stuff can often look nicer than some IKEA tat anyway.

We restored some old tables and chairs in our first house and had the place looking great for a really small sum.

Most of the stuff I've bought from Ikea in the past I've been happy with. The only unmitigated shit I've bought there is some ANEBODA stuff we've put in my son's room. Cheap and it really is cheap in terms of quality. Otherwise I think the stuff has offered reasonable value for us and fits a size and a budget. As long as you don't go in at the bottom level (aneboda) the "engineered" materials used are substantial enough.

My local Freegle is full of the sort of unwanted tripe you couldn't pay me to take away and what is further perplexing is that most of the tripe is taken before I even have chance to read the offer messages! If something good did come up it would have been and gone before I even knew, coupled with the transport issues. I have transported a standard size bath in my car before today so it is not small but furniture is a different kettle of fish. Ditto a small square chest freezer where it was the boot aperture that alomost prevented me getting it in. So a van is a requirement which also knocks onto using the likes of ebay and gumtree. My main concerns with those being that you never quite know what its like to you get there and it involves a lot of running around for little gain. Even ebay with pictures is not straight forward. Bought 3 items in a shop yesterday, took photos and the thing I like hte least looks appealing in the photo! The things I liked in person look poor! Go figure.

25 miles to an Age UK furniture warehouse

I'm sure there are plenty of people in a similar position. I'm not looking to fit out a house as cheaply as possible, I know I could do that, I *might* do that as an interim but I'm looking for specific pieces that we like the look of and should outlive us. We're already getting a sofa for free, who can beat that :P but will need a sofa bed in due course. We need a second large bed but have not a room to put it, hence the sofa bed and I think a good quality sofabed is something that will pay for itself over the years. Maybe I should start charging house guests? That would be the HPC wouldn't it? Free furniture then charge your guests ;)

It puzzles me as to how some retailers arrive at their prices. Ikea, is a case in point. You walk around there and you see some stuff apparently moderately priced whilst other stuff appears much more expensive for something which is essentially the same from a quality and manufacturing point of view. You then have a look at the knick-knacks and general stuff they have and most of them are for next to nothing. We bought a bathroom scale for three quid the other week - surely the three quid sale price can't be giving them any actual profit?

Also, the vast majority of stuff you buy is not going to offer you any resale potential. The "antique" stuff you have bought you know alredy has a residual value of some sort - because you've just bought it - so it's a reasonable assumption that you will get something back (perhaps most of what you paid for it) in the future.

Freecycle

Charity shops

eBay

Independent retailers.

I have found good solid well built furniture is expensive to buy......but to buy it second hand from the above and/or visiting auction rooms you can pick up some lovely bits.....some of them only require a bit of TLC like reupholstering, sanding and waxing or staining/varnishing and they come up better than new....all that is required is a little time, the right tools, some imagination and creativity.......what was 99p could become £99 or more. ;)

I'm not looking to fit out a house as cheaply as possible,

Sometimes the second hand stuff is a lot better quality than the new stuff you can buy.

If you want shiny and new then go for it.

You've never been to the "Furniture Village" in Chorlton?

I had to wipe my feet on the way out...

No, where is it? I'll avoid it. Am planning a trip out this week.

No, where is it? I'll avoid it. Am planning a trip out this week.

I stand corrected it was Furniture Warehoose on upper chorlton road, so probably Old Trafford really. Also supposed to be one nearby on Chorlton Road (which is Hulme to me) but it was closed on Sunday. Hope Charity Direct I think its called (or some variation of that).

You can get good quality used furniture from the house clearance shops!

I do, which is why my lounge looks like a house clearance shop! :huh: