House Price Crash Forum

As a local authority employee I can say with a certain amount of authority that most council employees are paid less than £20k a year.

Anything above £30k for a non management job you would have to be professionally qualified.

Why?

Do councils not promote able but unqualified staff into managemnt roles? This used to be the norm, why isn't it anymore?

tim

What's your point? Most non council non professionally qualified workers in the UK are on <20k, and most non council, non management jobs on >30k require professional qualifications (degrees etc.).

The ST article is highlighting the inflated wages that council middle and upper managers have awarded themselves, while currently closing headline grabbing front line services (and presumably sacking some of those <20k workers).

Hull showed the way with a 20% paycut for the CEO and a reduction of the numbers of senior managers by 31%.

+1

Thats the way to do it but sadly like some one has previously said they are looking to cut the maximum number of jobs with the minimum saving ,but with article`s like the one in the ST I think the pepole are going to see how sinical the council leaders realy are and it will back fire on them ,as they think they are being clever but the public can see where the problem`s lie and it is not with central govberment

I try my best to avoid posts on council management, it is just too annoying... but as it's raining I'll add to this

Council management are the new 'bankers' of 2011, everything was ignored while everyone else was doing well. The moment things go t*ts up we start complaining at what an easy deal they get.

Reality is, this is one long fat gravy train full of arrogant self important people who in the real world wouldn't be worth half what they get.

Fortunately the deficit and debt is so bad that closing all the libraries/swimming pools and bin rounds won't be enough, one day these useless, feckless clipboard carrying wastes of space will get a reality check.... it is coming

i feel better now!

yep...the pension liability is the biggest elephant in the room, to be truthful I can't see how it can continue to be affordable the way it stands. ;)

Agreed, it isn't affordable now, it's only going to get worse

If these councils did a massive downsizing I think most of the 'workers' would not be able to find a new job. So they would go on benefits.

But I think benefits are a better way to distribute the wealth of society, than non-jobs. Because benefits are available to all British citizens equally. While non-jobs only go to a lucky few.

If these councils did a massive downsizing I think most of the 'workers' would not be able to find a new job. So they would go on benefits.

But I think benefits are a better way to distribute the wealth of society, than non-jobs. Because benefits are available to all British citizens equally. While non-jobs only go to a lucky few.

and they'll have to get off the ar*se and have to get a productive job rather than having their noses in the trough

Just seen on the Politics Show BBC1 - a Town Crier in Dorset making a fuss about the cuts and shouting unintelligibly - not sure if he is against cuts or if he is a turkey voting for Christmas.

Two thoughts -

1 ) I am not sure that a Town Crier, with full regalia, is a vital service in the day of the Internet

2 ) He may only be paid a small stipend - a barrel of sherry, sex with the town goat, or free rat every Shrove Tuesday - but if he is low-paid, are such positions used to skew the public sector wage statistics downwards...?

Whilst I agree, surely that figure is the total cost of employment rather than actual gross salary.

That isn't just their salary. It will include the cost of giving then a desk/phone/PC etc in an office space

tim

You are both right - in future, I will try to switch on my brain before posting!

Just seen on the Politics Show BBC1 - a Town Crier in Dorset making a fuss about the cuts and shouting unintelligibly - not sure if he is against cuts or if he is a turkey voting for Christmas.

Two thoughts -

1 ) I am not sure that a Town Crier, with full regalia, is a vital service in the day of the Internet2 ) He may only be paid a small stipend - a barrel of sherry, sex with the town goat, or free rat every Shrove Tuesday - but if he is low-paid, are such positions used to skew the public sector wage statistics downwards...?

I feel we may have missed a trick here.

A small donation by each HPC poster could provide a Town Crier in full regalia ringing his bell and bawling 'Don't buy! House Price Crash In Progress!' outside the EA's of a different town every day.

He would probably get local Press and TV coverage - an added bonus.

Would love to know how much my council pays for pens, copier paper, toner etc, but that is the least of my worries!

I think that is the crux of the problem. We are all too busy worrying about our own situation and it has been the least of our worries,

They will be the next target of blame.... and they deserve to be

Last year Liverpool Council spent £20,000 on leaflets informing taxpayers it was no longer the worst financially managed authority in the country.

Somewhat redolent of George Osborne's spending on DVDs...

'MPs' expenses: 25 most ludicrous claims':

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5581638/MPs-expenses-25-most-ludicrous-claims.html

17. Speech DVD

George Osborne, Con MP for Tatton

He billed the taxpayer for the £47 cost of two copies of a DVD of his own speech – on the subject of "Value for Taxpayers Money".

yep...the pension liability is the biggest elephant in the room, to be truthful I can't see how it can continue to be affordable the way it stands. ;)

the earlier entrants - those already retired and those maybe retiring very soon - will still get good pensions, but as with all pyramid schemes, those in later on will be shafted, in the main by CPI inflation adjustment

it still amazes me how the unions have not cottoned on to the single hugest cut in their public sector members' entitlements - CPI inflation adjustment for future pension provision is huge. There was a hint that this could be applied to some private sector schemes, the members of those schemes made a significant fuss (in the news a few months ago) and the idea was shelved; however, not a peep out of the public sector unions. Either the public sector unions and their members have a cunning and devious plan - or they're collectively a bit stooopid.

Would love to know how much my council pays for pens, copier paper, toner etc, but that is the least of my worries!

Think I would be in for a huge shock, the whole thing needs auditing from top to bottom.

...Cheshire East paying a lot for office seats at £900 each.....taxpayers unite..... :rolleyes:

http://menmedia.co.uk/macclesfieldexpress/news/s/1407631_sitting_comfortably_council_blasted_for_spending_thousands_on_office_chairs

Council bosses have come under fire for wasting thousands of pounds of taxpayers’ cash on office chairs costing up to £900 each.

Astonished locals looked on for more than an hour as the designer furniture for the town hall was unloaded in Market Place on Tuesday.

The delivery of the posh chairs prompted a stream of calls to the Macclesfield Express.

I think the rules only apply to private sector thus far....fresh out....

http://www.bbc.co.uk...sion_saver.html

that's quite a confusing article - if I read it correctly, there was the main study that came out in Dec 2010, and now this is a recalculation; this new article describes a recalculation that only significantly effects private sector pension schemes already mentioned in the Dec 2010 report. The original report seemed to have been held up over the issue of whether private pensions whose contracts explicitly included RPI-adjustment were included, and it seemed that some significant compromises were accepted, that is in December:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/8189379/Pensions-cuts-ruled-out-after-backlash.html

however, the above BBC blog from Peston, which is really rather opaque, appears to be just saying that some assumed compromises over private sector pensions are going to be broken. This is quite something.

BUT// the situation still exists - that public sector pensions across the board, and there are more of them than private sector final sal pensions - that public sector pensions will still get a soaking. The only reason this is not mentioned in the above BBC blog is that this particular point has not changed since the original December report. Peston is reporting on what HAS changed in that private sector final sal pensioners will be soaked a bit more (10% or so) than expected.

If I am cynical, then maybe private sector forthcoming pensioners are, after all, just as dumb as those in the public sector.

An excellent point.

mid-14c., "quality of being diverse," mostly in a neutral sense, from O.Fr. diversité (12c.) "difference, diversity, unique feature, odd_ness:" also "wickedness, perversity," from L. diversitatem (nom. diversitas) "contrariety, contradiction, disagreement;" also, as a secondary sense, "difference, diversity," from diversus "turned different ways" (in L.L. "various"), pp. of divertere (see divert). Negative meaning, "being contrary to what is agreeable or right; perversity, evil" existed in English from late 15c.

turned different ways = 'double speak' and deliberate mis-information (that's why the are paid twice as much as a nurse coz 'they' are part of a 'game!')

Think I would be in for a huge shock, the whole thing needs auditing from top to bottom.

My council insists on buying the cheapest printer paper, cartridges, etc. All very well, except that our machines are constantly bagarap as the lovely pidgin word has it, and we've been told again and again that it's down to cheapest-possible supplies.

Don't know about anyone else, but at home I've always found Ryman's (rather than HP) fine.

It infuriates me that HP produces umpteen different cartridges. How many of us have bought a new printer, only to have to ditch our spares for the old one?

You are both right - in future, I will try to switch on my brain before posting!

Regardless of the figures your point was correct. Whether it goes direct to the employee in the form of salary, or gets spent on a desk/phone/computer/pension contributions, it's a waste of money. Money that need never have been added to our national debt.

except that our machines are constantly bagarap as the lovely pidgin word has it, and we've been told again and again that it's down to cheapest-possible supplies.

I think it's as easy to do no work by blaming the tools you have as any other reason.

I only use the cheapest paper in my laser and it's fine. MInd you I don't do thousands of copies of anything. (probably gone through 10 reams in a couple of years though)

The worst offenders appear to be the Police and Fire Brigade, who not only get interesting jobs in the main, but also seem to get lovely full pensions at a very early age.

Prison service, too. My BIL retired in his 40's very comfortably, in the prime of life and in excellent health.

The problem is, you dont really want elderly coppers or screws or whatever the equivalent term is for firemen. But no one has addressed how to deal with this without letting them retire on silly pensions when most people are at the age that they are expected to work their socks off.

Pissing taxpayers money away is not just a council thing. How about all those public schools, which couldnt survive without all the forces, FCO etc kids being paid to attend them, for instance? And before anyone comes down on the 'but they have to because of being posted overseas with their jobs' whine, may I point out that I have never heard of such a perk for international jobs in the private sector, and I work in one (in pharma) and so did my dad (for a big bank), both industries hardly known for stingy perks.

Prison service, too. My BIL retired in his 40's very comfortably, in the prime of life and in excellent health.

you'd think a decent payoff but not to take pension until they are 60

then they can take a break before going into lower paid security guarding

teachers too, retiring early due to 'stress'