House Price Crash Forum
Mrs Bear

Council Waste

Just a few little snippets from double-page article:

Birmingham City Council has 28 officers working in equality and diversity (annual cost £1,916,657)

Plus 2 climate change officers (£97,914)

Bristol City Council has 6 diversity officers (£250,000)

and 5 climate change officers (£97,914)

Camden Council has 13.5 climate change officers (£494,000)

Last year Liverpool Council spent £20,000 on leaflets informing taxpayers it was no longer the worst financially managed authority in the country. Since Labour took over the council in April, about half of the senior management team has departed with six figure payoffs.

Birmingham handed out £50,000 of taxpayers' money to minor celebrities to present awards to their staff.

Newham council's newspaper costs £500,000 a year to run. Last summer it advertised for a £36,306 'media officer' with 'the skills to deliver positive stories' about the council.

Islington council advertised for a 'walking co-ordinator' - part time £30,345 pro rata. ('Developing new walks')

Nottingham spent £185,000 on 'Proud of Nottingham' signs and £578,000 on a free newspaper, but only delivered 10 editions.

To quote Times informant Charlie, '...it's a shame there's no government list of mandatory services all councils must provide, and any money left over could be used for 'nice-to-have' services.'

Talk about understatement. :(

OTOH long before the spending cuts Hull City cut pay for chief exec. by 20% and reduced the number of senior managers by 31%.

It's pretty obvious that some councils are particularly politically motivated to cut front-line services - the ones that often use relatively poorly paid staff - rather than their pet 'frills', so that they can blame nasty mean central government.

My own council purports to ask people's opinions by asking skewed questions like, 'Would you prefer us to cut: a] children's services, b] old people's services, c] libraries?

They never ask whether anyone would like them to cut the sort of jobs nobody had ever heard of 20 years ago.

Edited by Mrs Bear

A few thoughts...

Birmingham City Council has 28 officers working in equality and diversity (annual cost £1,916,657)

I would like to know what the job descriptions, and daily duties are of climate change officers and diversity co-ordinators.

Last year Liverpool Council spent £20,000 on leaflets informing taxpayers it was no longer the worst financially managed authority in the country. Since Labour took over the council in April, about half of the senior management team has departed with six figure payoffs.

Birmingham handed out £50,000 of taxpayers' money to minor celebrities to present awards to their staff.

If I was receiving an award, I would rather my company saved the money spent on some "celebrity" to present it, and give the money to me. It essentially just goes to show what happens if organisations have the right to steal peoples hard earned money legally, through taxation, on threat of imprisonment - enormous uncontrolled waste.

Newham council's newspaper costs £500,000 a year to run. Last summer it advertised for a £36,306 'media officer' with 'the skills to deliver positive stories' about the council.

Islington council advertised for a 'walking co-ordinator' - part time £30,345 pro rata. ('Developing new walks')

Nottingham spent £185,000 on 'Proud of Nottingham' signs and £578,000 on a free newspaper, but only delivered 10 editions.

As for the propaganda officers delivering good news stories, and walking co-ordinators this is just too bizarre for words.

To quote Times informant Charlie, '...it's a shame there's no government list of mandatory services all councils must provide, and any money left over could be used for 'nice-to-have' services.'

OTOH long before the spending cuts Hull City cut pay for chief exec. by 20% and reduced the number of senior managers by 31%.

It's pretty obvious that some councils are particularly politically motivated to cut front-line services - the ones that often use relatively poorly paid staff - rather than their pet 'frills', so that they can blame nasty mean central government.

Good on Hull city, but I bet that is just the tip of the iceberg.

My own council purports to ask people's opinions by asking skewed questions like, 'Would you prefer us to cut: a] children's services, b] old people's services, c] libraries?

They never ask whether anyone would like them to cut the sort of jobs nobody had ever heard of 20 years ago.

When do they ask these? If written, can you cross all answer out as just say all "senior management"?

I think I will do some digging to find out about non jobs in my council, and try to make a nuisance of myself, because this sort of thing is really pissing me off now.

Ooh, the irony! :rolleyes:

What a pointless exercise. Does Liverpool Council think that their citizens are going to be much more content that they are now the 2nd or 3rd worst financially managed authority. :blink:

That's Nothing!

I just worked out another of their scams which cost us far more.

They force loads of electrical/computer/etc etc companies to contribute ££Millions (A hooge hidden tax) which have been quietly shared out between local council recycling units (on top of their normal ratepayer funding) for taking in old PC's, Washing machines etc.

These are then sold on to third parties as second hand working or for melting down as scrap metal.

£Win - £Win for someone!

This is ongoing, and of course the 'responsible companies additional costs are passed on to all buyers of new goods!

That's Nothing!

I just worked out another of their scams which cost us far more.

They force loads of electrical/computer/etc etc companies to contribute ££Millions (A hooge hidden tax) which have been quietly shared out between local council recycling units (on top of their normal ratepayer funding) for taking in old PC's, Washing machines etc.

These are then sold on to third parties as second hand working or for melting down as scrap metal.

£Win - £Win for someone!

This is ongoing, and of course the 'responsible companies additional costs are passed on to all buyers of new goods!

Your'e talking WEEE aren't you?

A few thoughts...

When do they ask these? If written, can you cross all answer out as just say all "senior management"?

I've seen it once on a paper questionnnaire a few yrs ago and a colleague told me exactly the same sort of q was recently on a council website 'consultation' exercise, now closed.

On the paper survey there was of course nowhere to ask, 'Why the hell don't you cut X instead?' That would defeat the object of the pathetically transparent exercise.

So this country is happy to pay a Diversity Officer nearly twice as much as a nurse.

What a sad comment on our values.

I found these stats very illuminating. Tables of how many employees various councils had in the £80-99k pay band in 2006 and 2010. And how many in the £100-200k pay range.

• Newham (Lab) £80-100= 25 in 2006 down to 21 in 2010
  • £100-200k= 5 up to 13
  • Nottingham (Lab) £80-100= 11 up to 26
  • £100-200k= 7 up to 10
  • Liverpool (Lab) £80-100= 17 in both 20065 and 2010
  • £100-200k= 11 up to 21 (the spirit of Degsy lives on!)
  • Birmingham (ConDem) £80-100= 28 up to 79 (!)
  • £100-200k= 6 up to 12
  • Suffolk (Con) £80-100= 6 up to 22
  • £100-200k= 1 in '06 and '10
  • Manchester (Lab) £80-100= 12 up to 14
  • £100-200k= 8 up to 16

All on index linked pensions of course, so this is the gift that will keep on giving(or taking if you're a taxpayer)

The NuLab years were the 'Happy Time' for local government,although I would expect a similar growth in self awarded pay in say,the NHS,schools or the Police. Which is one big reason why we have a £150bn annual deficit of course.

So this country is happy to pay a Diversity Officer nearly twice as much as a nurse.

Whilst I agree, surely that figure is the total cost of employment rather than actual gross salary.

I've seen it once on a paper questionnnaire a few yrs ago and a colleague told me exactly the same sort of q was recently on a council website 'consultation' exercise, now closed.

On the paper survey there was of course nowhere to ask, 'Why the hell don't you cut X instead?' That would defeat the object of the pathetically transparent exercise.

Edit: one thing I'd like to see made mandatory is a list on every council website of every single post - with a job description in plain English instead of that waffly strategic-pathway-performance-support-coordinator bolax they love.

Who hasn't seen long waffly job descriptions - sometimes half a page - and at the end of it you still haven't a clue what these people actually do.

While she was looking for jobs not long ago my elder showed me one such that fell vaguely in her field. Unable to make head or tail of it, I asked for a translation. She said, 'Basically, it means going to a lot of meetings and talking shite.'

Should add that she had absolutely no intention of applying for that one. :)

Yestrerday's Mail had a long list of whacko jobs in Manchester Council which appears to be anout 40K salary on average, pension, good hols, etc.

I work for a living.

Sometimes you wonder if it would be better and more cost effective to pay them half that to stay at home.... ;)

I found these stats very illuminating. Tables of how many employees various councils had in the £80-99k pay band in 2006 and 2010. And how many in the £100-200k pay range.

• Newham (Lab) £80-100= 25 in 2006 down to 21 in 2010
  • £100-200k= 5 up to 13
  • Nottingham (Lab) £80-100= 11 up to 26
  • £100-200k= 7 up to 10
  • Liverpool (Lab) £80-100= 17 in both 20065 and 2010
  • £100-200k= 11 up to 21 (the spirit of Degsy lives on!)
  • Birmingham (ConDem) £80-100= 28 up to 79 (!)
  • £100-200k= 6 up to 12
  • Suffolk (Con) £80-100= 6 up to 22
  • £100-200k= 1 in '06 and '10
  • Manchester (Lab) £80-100= 12 up to 14
  • £100-200k= 8 up to 16

All on index linked pensions of course, so this is the gift that will keep on giving(or taking if you're a taxpayer)

The NuLab years were the 'Happy Time' for local government,although I would expect a similar growth in self awarded pay in say,the NHS,schools or the Police. Which is one big reason why we have a £150bn annual deficit of course.

As a local authority employee I can say with a certain amount of authority that most council employees are paid less than £20k a year.

Anything above £30k for a non management job you would have to be professionally qualified.

Whilst I agree, surely that figure is the total cost of employment rather than actual gross salary.

True, when we do the costings it comes out at about twice the annual salary for a contracting out day rate.

I work on HR systems and therefore see a lot of salaries in both sectors of the economy.

I don't work with any of the notorious councils (Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc) but I really don't recognise the picture of massively paid workers I always see on here.

I work in the south and east of the country and have come across 1 climate change job and 1 diversity officer in all that time, both were contract jobs in the £25k range. I also seen an anti-smoking practioner job that was around the time of the smoking ban. Quite often they choose ridiculous job titles like "Working Smarter Team player" which when you actually enter them onto the system turns out to be a business analyst whose job is to map processes and find savings.

Stupid job titles are the worst offenders.

Manchester Council is closing libraries, swimming pools and public toilets, blaming 'Tory cuts'. But what about the PC non-jobs they won't scrap?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356183/Manchester-Council-closing-libraries-swimming-pools-public-toilets.html#ixzz1Dq3EOJJ9

article-1356183-0D24A01F000005DC-232_468x453.jpg

Edited by The Masked Tulip

I am pretty sure you could line up the management grade council staff in any order you wanted and walk along the line binning every third person with zero detriment to sevice delivery.

my other bug bear is that every Director / Manager role created usually also creates a department / team for the director to direct or the manager to manage and, sometimes, a PA in the mix too

Edited by JPJPJP

Manchester Council is closing libraries, swimming pools and public toilets, blaming 'Tory cuts'. But what about the PC non-jobs they won't scrap?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356183/Manchester-Council-closing-libraries-swimming-pools-public-toilets.html#ixzz1Dq3EOJJ9

Maybe they think they are 'worth it' and worthy public services that we can all benefit from are not. ;)

Some of the posts listed in the article are crazy.

As a local authority employee I can say with a certain amount of authority that most council employees are paid less than £20k a year.

Anything above £30k for a non management job you would have to be professionally qualified.

What's your point? Most non council non professionally qualified workers in the UK are on <20k, and most non council, non management jobs on >30k require professional qualifications (degrees etc.).

The ST article is highlighting the inflated wages that council middle and upper managers have awarded themselves, while currently closing headline grabbing front line services (and presumably sacking some of those <20k workers).

Hull showed the way with a 20% paycut for the CEO and a reduction of the numbers of senior managers by 31%.

It is good fun having a dig at these sorts of jobs. They are a bit of a waste, no doubt about it.

The biggest problem though, even bigger than those ridiculous troughing salaries for the top officers, is the pensions. Dont get me wrong, I am sure that the majority of council workers who are on low wages and do important are not the target of my criticism. But I understand that 25% of council spend is now to pay for retired people.

The worst offenders appear to be the Police and Fire Brigade, who not only get interesting jobs in the main, but also seem to get lovely full pensions at a very early age.

Councils and the Public sector need to go to a pensions mechanism where the councils do not provide the pensions, but leave it to the employees to find their own method of pension saving. That way the cost of increased longevity and early retirement falls on the shoulders of those with the pensions, not the the council tax payers.

That isn't just their salary. It will include the cost of giving then a desk/phone/PC etc in an office space

tim

It is good fun having a dig at these sorts of jobs. They are a bit of a waste, no doubt about it.

The biggest problem though, even bigger than those ridiculous troughing salaries for the top officers, is the pensions. Dont get me wrong, I am sure that the majority of council workers who are on low wages and do important are not the target of my criticism. But I understand that 25% of council spend is now to pay for retired people.

The worst offenders appear to be the Police and Fire Brigade, who not only get interesting jobs in the main, but also seem to get lovely full pensions at a very early age.

Councils and the Public sector need to go to a pensions mechanism where the councils do not provide the pensions, but leave it to the employees to find their own method of pension saving. That way the cost of increased longevity and early retirement falls on the shoulders of those with the pensions, not the the council tax payers.

yep...the pension liability is the biggest elephant in the room, to be truthful I can't see how it can continue to be affordable the way it stands. ;)