House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CHF

Getting Out Of A Contract

As title really - I work away a lot and am getting sick of hotels.

We've found a flat but i want to know if there is any way of getting out of a 6 month contract should my job get moved again?

It seems that I am in evffect signing a £3k credit agreement and if I dont see it through will have my credit rating afected.

We've found a flat but i want to know if there is any way of getting out of a 6 month contract should my job get moved again?

In a word "no". A fixed term contract means what it says. It binds the tenant just as much the landlord.

Many agents will tell you that a tenancy has to be a minimum of six months, but that is not true. You can ask for a shorter period. Whether you will get it depends on how keen the landlord is to let.

TBH thats exactly what i had assumed.

I think i will ask if I can have a break clause added after 3 months and get the firm to pony up the first 3 months rent

TBH thats exactly what i had assumed.

I think i will ask if I can have a break clause added after 3 months and get the firm to pony up the first 3 months rent

A diplomatic clause is fairly common outside of the UK where tenancy agreements are 12 months or more. I exercised mine when moving back from the Netherlands to the UK. But then letting agents and landlords are professional over there!

A diplomatic clause is fairly common outside of the UK where tenancy agreements are 12 months or more. I exercised mine when moving back from the Netherlands to the UK. But then letting agents and landlords are professional over there!

On my one year contract I have a two months break close valid for both parts to the contract which suits me well.

You can always ask for such close and then it's for the LL/agency to decide. If you don't ask you will not get.

On my one year contract I have a two months break close valid for both parts to the contract which suits me well.

You can always ask for such close and then it's for the LL/agency to decide. If you don't ask you will not get.

We pushed a year tenancy with a 6 month break clause on our landlord and they bought it, cost us 3 months rent up front reverting to monthly after the 3 months elapsed, but pushed a rent reduction on that basis. So we get lower rent and longer security and the landlord got 3 months rent they would have had anyway and no additional security of tenure.

Wheyhey :lol: