House Price Crash Forum
cool_hand

'heartbreaking' Decision As Leicestershire Furniture Firm Closes

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Heartbreaking-decision-furniture-firm-closes/article-3150578-detail/article.html

By ian griffin business editor

A long-established family furniture firm in Leicestershire has closed with the loss of 35 jobs after a sharp drop in trade.

Angraves, of Thurmaston, which has been in business for almost 100 years, was the last manufacturer of cane furniture in the UK.

The firm made handcrafted furniture for customers across the world.

Joint managing director Nigel Angrave, the third generation of the family to run the company, said he was devastated by the closure.

"We had no choice," he said.

"The market has got worse since the recession and we were manufacturing through it and downsizing. Our customer base hasn't got the money. Everybody is saving.

"We were the last cane furniture manufacturer in the country and have held that position for some years.

"It's heartbreaking. The family is devastated.

"But commercial pressures are commercial pressures."

Mr Angrave, who represents Frisby on the Wreake on Melton Borough Council, said all customers who had left a deposit with the business would receive their products.

Councillor Brenda Seaton represents Thurmaston on Charnwood Borough Council.

She said: "It's a sad blow to the community that they have ceased trading.

"There's so many memories, but with all the cheap imports it's not surprising really.

"As a councillor, I would want to see the factory site continue to be used for manufacturing."

Angraves was founded in 1912 by George Angrave and his brother Robert Angrave.

In the 1950s, the company was taken over by Robert's son, Robert Ronald Angrave, who developed the business throughout the 1960s and 1970s.

Nigel Angrave is his son.

The Brook Street firm supplied furniture to both small independent stores and major high street names.

Mark Wheeler is managing director of Premier Cane Furniture, of Melton, which imports its products from the Far East.

He said: "Angraves was the best and set the standard.

"They were the last bastion of cane furniture manufacturing in the UK.

"Like the shoe industry, the height of the cane furniture industry in the county was in the 1960s and 1970s. And like the shoe industry, manufacturing moved abroad 20 years ago."

Mr Wheeler said despite the decline of the manufacturing industry, cane furniture was as popular as ever in the UK.

Insolvency practitioner Elwell Watchorn & Saxton, of Sileby, is overseeing Angraves' liquidation.

Worth reading the second comment:

Ths is the result of container loads of cheap stuff coming from the far east. It is imported destruction of our country's economy and we all stand by and let it happen. It keeps teh far east occupied and our workers on the dole- no wonder taxes are sky high. So teh goods are not cheap when you have to pay so much in tax- what a stupid way to run a country

oldhenry, Rothley

I agree, there's legitimate competition and there's dumping of slave goods. For what it's worth, I trade with local\UK businesses wherever viable (unfortunately there's a lot less choice when it comes to electrical items).

These twerps are well off message.

Haven't they read the latest government statistics?

Manufacturing is booming and leading the way to recovery.

I agree, there's legitimate competition and there's dumping of slave goods. For what it's worth, I trade with local\UK businesses wherever viable (unfortunately there's a lot less choice when it comes to electrical items).

I try to do the same and buy local. We don't even make light bulbs in this country anymore, the only ones I have come across that are not made in China are made in Poland, so I buy Polish light bulbs.

The only thing I can see that will turn the tide of importing stuff from the other side of the world is peak/post peak oil and the end of cheap long distance transportation.

Is it just me, or is all this talk amongst fantasy-land economists about a 'manufacturing renaissance' a load of complete tosh?

Pretty clear successive governments since Thatcher have made it clear the UK is only interested in services and money-shuffling.....with pretty disastrous consequences as we're seeing.

We're talking dinosaurs here.

I've spent half my working life in the cane furniture trade and the writing was on the wall for Angrave's 20 years ago.

Nigel Angrave is the most arrogant motherfooker you'll ever meet and thought that his firm was immune to the commercial pressures that sent manufacturing abroad a generation ago. Angrave's heyday was in the 1920's when they furnished cruise ships and grand hotels the world over. Their business has been in decline ever since except they couldn't see it. They thought they were too good to fail.

I'm laughing my tits off!

:lol:

Pretty clear successive governments since Thatcher have made it clear the UK is only interested in services and money-shuffling.....with pretty disastrous consequences as we're seeing.

All our problems started when we put a woman in charge of the country.

All our problems started when we put a woman in charge of the country.

Get real Monk.

I think you'll find she was voted in because the country was in damaging disarray as a result of the men from the unions and the Labour party.

Joint managing director Nigel Angrave, the third generation of the family to run the company, said he was devastated by the closure.

As the saying goes, "boots to boots in three generations"

"The market has got worse since the recession and we were manufacturing through it and downsizing. Our customer base hasn't got the money. Everybody is saving.

Exactly why I lost my job. And why I'm not spending.

Today I have witnessed the closure of a DIY bits and pieces local shop in the village. It's been there since I was a kid and I've loved buying stuff from them. Some items are pricey, but others cheap. It balances out. But people locally have to blame themselves for simply not using it.

I think this is typical of the UK. We shop around for bargains, buy from supermarkets and pat ourselves on the back for saving a few pence. What we forget is that it took us ages and we had to drive there. Both of which have a real cost, but we ignore that.

The Brits have been brainwashed into believing that hunting around to save a few quid is really worth it. Well now the shops gone and all that's left are the B&Qs of the world and you tell me if they really give a stuff about me as the local shop always did?

We're talking dinosaurs here.

I've spent half my working life in the cane furniture trade and the writing was on the wall for Angrave's 20 years ago.

Nigel Angrave is the most arrogant motherfooker you'll ever meet and thought that his firm was immune to the commercial pressures that sent manufacturing abroad a generation ago. Angrave's heyday was in the 1920's when they furnished cruise ships and grand hotels the world over. Their business has been in decline ever since except they couldn't see it. They thought they were too good to fail.

I'm laughing my tits off!

:lol:

'But what do we do with the old bam-boo ?

Is it just me, or is all this talk amongst fantasy-land economists about a 'manufacturing renaissance' a load of complete tosh?

Rolls Royce aero engines seem to be doing just fine, maybe cane furniture doesn't have the same technological edge?

Been taking advantage of some 50%+ price cuts/sales on some replacement tools.

Thought I would look at some Stanley sets and kit - considering they still charge a 'premium' they are stamped "Made in China" cheeky fokkers!

German companies make Knipex pliers and Wera Kraftform Screwdrivers next door to each other which are top-end and in the case of Wera competitive with Stanley!

The reason Germans/French still have Industries is they have business banks which are forced to lend at affordable rates - coz if the companies go to the wall, so do all the banksters jobs!

Why can't we have similar in the UK?

Rolls Royce aero engines seem to be doing just fine, maybe cane furniture doesn't have the same technological edge?

no need for aero engines if people cant afford to travel.

Today I have witnessed the closure of a DIY bits and pieces local shop in the village. It's been there since I was a kid and I've loved buying stuff from them. Some items are pricey, but others cheap. It balances out. But people locally have to blame themselves for simply not using it.

I think this is typical of the UK. We shop around for bargains, buy from supermarkets and pat ourselves on the back for saving a few pence. What we forget is that it took us ages and we had to drive there. Both of which have a real cost, but we ignore that.

The Brits have been brainwashed into believing that hunting around to save a few quid is really worth it. Well now the shops gone and all that's left are the B&Qs of the world and you tell me if they really give a stuff about me as the local shop always did?

maybe they didnt shop there because it wasnt very good, didnt have what they want ,or was too expensive as well?

if people arent using it why would they blame themselves - they werent using it.

Evidence would suggest otherwise.

what the frack are you taking...please send some.

what the frack are you taking...please send some.

Well the flights at Heathrow are still passing by every 30-60 seconds during the day, so I think it's safe to assume that Bardon is correct.

maybe they didnt shop there because it wasnt very good, didnt have what they want ,or was too expensive as well?

if people arent using it why would they blame themselves - they werent using it.

People aren't shopping at any DIY store any more, the home improvement frenzy is over.