House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
red

The Guardian's Live Clinic For First Time Buyers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2011/feb/12/live-clinic-first-time-buyers#start-of-comments

More ignoring the elephant in the room with VI 'experts' an EA and a mortgage broker.

Wait until prices fall? Nah, don't be daft. We'll find you a liar loan, instead.

...what would you expect from the lefties guide to ruin.....?.... :rolleyes:

...what would you expect from the lefties guide to ruin.....?.... :rolleyes:

to be fair, Patrick Collinson has always been a champion of lower house prices.

But this little stunt is woefully misguided and yet again proves that they're missing Dumbo in the corner...

p.s. some good comments on the board already - get over there, folks.

to be fair, Patrick Collinson has always been a champion of lower house prices.

But this little stunt is woefully misguided and yet again proves that they're missing Dumbo in the corner...

p.s. some good comments on the board already - get over there, folks.

...any time I read the Guardian it feels like a parallel universe ...as if they're all on something ...and it's not doing any of them any good ..... :rolleyes:

Not exactly reading like a clinic so far, just a load of spot on comments about falling prices and not accepting advice from VIs! And not a single response from the 'experts' yet, assuming that the 'Live Clinic' has actually started.

Not exactly reading like a clinic so far, just a load of spot on comments about falling prices and not accepting advice from VIs! And not a single response from the 'experts' yet, assuming that the 'Live Clinic' has actually started.

It starts on Tuesday - but good to get comments in asap.

It might make the Guardian think twice before doing something so ludicrous again - a tacit acceptance of the theory that prices will never fall so we might as well figure out the best way of getting hold of loans or signing up for shared-ownership schemes and such like, rather than confront the real issue - high prices.

It starts on Tuesday - but good to get comments in asap.

It might make the Guardian think twice before doing something so ludicrous again - a tacit acceptance of the theory that prices will never fall so we might as well figure out the best way of getting hold of loans or signing up for shared-ownership schemes and such like, rather than confront the real issue - high prices.

They better forget about running their "clinic", the only clinic EA`s and mortgage advisors need is a depression clinic, for themselves. Cat is out of the bag now, even soap obsessed (and soap adverse obese) sheeple know prices are about to tank. Game over, thanks for playing.

Edited by dances with sheeple

They better forget about running their "clinic", the only clinic EA`s and mortgage advisors need is a depression clinic, for themselves. Cat is out of the bag now, even soap obsessed (and soap adverse obese) sheeple know prices are about to tank. Game over, thanks for playing.

I'm looking forward to the February 2011 Haliwide figures.

I'm quietly amused, reading the comments, by the contrast between the "The Rent is Too Damn High" crowd on the one hand, and the wannabee Properdee Millionaires on the other.

I'm quietly amused, reading the comments, by the contrast between the "The Rent is Too Damn High" crowd on the one hand, and the wannabee Properdee Millionaires on the other.

Although the Grauniad are not likely to put more than one question to the 'expert panel' regarding prices being too high (i.e. addressing the actual problem rather than blame mortgage availability, etc.) I think it's great that an overwhelming proportion of comments simply point out the bleeding obvious...

Hopefully a few more comments along these lines by 12.30 on Tuesday will make sure they at least get the message.

"Isn't it a case that people are simply not buying because prices are too high? Why must we return to lax lending and liar loans in order to sustain what is clearly a bubble about to burst?

Why offer the vested interest opinions of a mortgage broker or Estate agent when it's quite clear to me that by waiting a little longer I won't need to borrow an absurd amount of money at record low rates, leaving me vulnerable to the smallest rises in rates that are surely on their way...

The best thing for First Time Buyers to do at the moment is refuse to buy at such ludicrously high prices."

I couldn't have put it better.

Trying to explain this to people when they ask why im still renting is a real challenge though. The mother-in-law just wants to throw money our way to get us on the 'ladder'.

"Isn't it a case that people are simply not buying because prices are too high? Why must we return to lax lending and liar loans in order to sustain what is clearly a bubble about to burst?

Why offer the vested interest opinions of a mortgage broker or Estate agent when it's quite clear to me that by waiting a little longer I won't need to borrow an absurd amount of money at record low rates, leaving me vulnerable to the smallest rises in rates that are surely on their way...

The best thing for First Time Buyers to do at the moment is refuse to buy at such ludicrously high prices."

I couldn't have put it better.

Thanks - that was my little contribution to the comments page!

Trying to explain this to people when they ask why im still renting is a real challenge though. The mother-in-law just wants to throw money our way to get us on the 'ladder'.

Yep, I'm with you there. I'm getting it from both parents and my mum-in-law.

Interestingly, my dad-in-law is an accountant with considerable financial savvy and is the only one who agrees with me.

Also, my wife is growing very impatient and desperately wants to 'settle' - we have a small baby and the nesting instinct is kicking in strongly. Almost as strongly as my desire not to throw away years of building a healthy deposit on a depreciating asset... <_<

Expert:

What’s keeping prices up is the free market reacting to the lack of Stock.

Er, no - it's ludicrously low IRs enabling people to sit tight. Affordability is the key.

Expert:

What’s keeping prices up is the free market reacting to the lack of Stock.

Er, no - it's ludicrously low IRs enabling people to sit tight. Affordability is the key.

They're still spouting that one? Someone please show me a graph that shows a correlation between population levels, building levels, and demolition levels. Unfortunately there are even some people on here who seem obsessed with building restrictions, when they're far from being the root cause of the problem. Have we had an unprecedented population rise in the last decade, or have meteors wiped out a few towns (when everyone was away somewhere else)? Too much attention is paid to it makes it harder to get the real problems fixed; even in areas where there's a genuine shortage I don't see how anyone can seriously believe that that's the cause of the lion's share of the overpricing.

They're still spouting that one? Someone please show me a graph that shows a correlation between population levels, building levels, and demolition levels. Unfortunately there are even some people on here who seem obsessed with building restrictions, when they're far from being the root cause of the problem. Have we had an unprecedented population rise in the last decade, or have meteors wiped out a few towns (when everyone was away somewhere else)? Too much attention is paid to it makes it harder to get the real problems fixed; even in areas where there's a genuine shortage I don't see how anyone can seriously believe that that's the cause of the lion's share of the overpricing.

yup.