House Price Crash Forum

Terrible Rip Offs At Motorway Cafes

Realistbear

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8313650/Motorists-stung-by-greedy-motorway-services.html

Motorists stung by 'greedy' motorway services
You always knew it cost a little more at motorway services. But did you know how much more - and is it justified?
Welcome to Britain's motorway services... where a bottle of water can cost you more than at "Harvey Nicks" and where you can pay £77 more for petrol.
These are the findings of a new survey revealing that m-way "stations" are among the most expensive places to shop in the UK.
Research by What Car? magazine found one WH Smith motorway services outlet that was charging consumers a 91 per cent mark-up over its high street outlets on a 750ml bottle of water, even more than at a certain upmarket Knightsbridge department store.
It also found that M&S charges "inflated" prices in its motorway shops, including a 25 per cent increase on a bottle of water, 16 per cent on a sandwich and 15 per cent on a large sausage roll. Even fast food outlet Burger King was found to charge 12 per cent more on the motorway than it does in its high street restaurants.
It will be no surprise to motorists to hear that fuel is more expensive on motorways too, with drivers paying an average levy of 5.2 per cent for unleaded fuel and 3.4 per dent for diesel. According to What Car?, consumers filling their fuel tank at motorway services could pay on average £77 more per year than they would had they filled up elsewhere.

M-way cafes should be for the exclusive use of Banksters.

I never use them for all of the reasons stated in the farticle. Lots of sheeple seem to use them though.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Isnt there some contractual requirement for opening hours? Ie the markup is due to being forced to open at times when they are making a loss.

I'm sure if every shop was forced to open 24/7 prices would shoot up.

MSA shops aren't open 24/7.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

MSA shops aren't open 24/7.

But the franchisor will be charging a rent to concessions which helps him subsidise the bits that he does have to keep open 24/7 (otherwise these concessions will cherry pick trade at the profitable time of day and leave him with the loss making part of the day all to himself).

I doubt very much that he will have difficulty finding tenants for these concessions, even at inflated rents.

tim

HOLA448

But the franchisor will be charging a rent to concessions which helps him subsidise the bits that he does have to keep open 24/7 (otherwise these concessions will cherry pick trade at the profitable time of day and leave him with the loss making part of the day all to himself).

I doubt very much that he will have difficulty finding tenants for these concessions, even at inflated rents.

tim

The place that is easiest in the whole country to deliver petrol to is home to the most expensive petrol.

Strange until you remember the size of backhander the operators must give to the corrupt officials to get the contract.

I used to work for Granada - I should know.

This country is as corrupt as Albania but far more hypocritical!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

We live in a free market economy. If you want everything to be the same price, move to Cuba. No-one is forcing you to forget to buy lunch / drinks before you set off.

You may as well ask why is a pint more money in a pub in Kensington, than a Rotherham working mens club ??

How many people use motorway services just for the toilets ??? These have to be paid for - they don't maintain themselves.

I agree with the point about how surprising it is how many average / poor looking people you see eating the £12 breakfasts in these places. First time I went to New York, I had breakfast in Normas (in the Parker Meridien hotel) which is regarded as one of THE best spots in NYC... it cost the same as a large Little Chef service station brekkie...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I went in a normal garage in Newton-le-Willows a couple of weeks ago. Normal can of Coke was £0.99...I just walked out. Their loss, not mine.

I can beat that.... £1.29 for a 330ml can at BP Connect, Raynes Park, SW London...!

.... still bought it - just tastes better out of a can and i dont want half a flippin litre of Coke...

I think there is a deliberate pricing strategy with the cans - they must be difficult / expensive to make or something cos they clearly want you to drink the 500ml PET bottles. Think they would get rid of cans altogether if they could but would be too much of a backlash for such an iconic product....

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8313650/Motorists-stung-by-greedy-motorway-services.html

Motorists stung by 'greedy' motorway services
You always knew it cost a little more at motorway services. But did you know how much more - and is it justified?
Welcome to Britain's motorway services... where a bottle of water can cost you more than at "Harvey Nicks" and where you can pay £77 more for petrol.
These are the findings of a new survey revealing that m-way "stations" are among the most expensive places to shop in the UK.
Research by What Car? magazine found one WH Smith motorway services outlet that was charging consumers a 91 per cent mark-up over its high street outlets on a 750ml bottle of water, even more than at a certain upmarket Knightsbridge department store.
It also found that M&S charges "inflated" prices in its motorway shops, including a 25 per cent increase on a bottle of water, 16 per cent on a sandwich and 15 per cent on a large sausage roll. Even fast food outlet Burger King was found to charge 12 per cent more on the motorway than it does in its high street restaurants.
It will be no surprise to motorists to hear that fuel is more expensive on motorways too, with drivers paying an average levy of 5.2 per cent for unleaded fuel and 3.4 per dent for diesel. According to What Car?, consumers filling their fuel tank at motorway services could pay on average £77 more per year than they would had they filled up elsewhere.

M-way cafes should be for the exclusive use of Banksters.

I never use them for all of the reasons stated in the farticle. Lots of sheeple seem to use them though.

We always try to stop at services with M&S food. At least you know it'll be nice, and far better selection than the usual processed motorway junk. Maybe not countrywide yet, though.

If I'm feeling particularly energetic/tight-fisted I'll make sarnies for long journeys. Mr B is v. partial to freshly-made egg and cress. :)

As for bottled water, best way of wasting money known to man.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

You may as well ask why is a pint more money in a pub in Kensington, than a Rotherham working mens club ??

Well, interestingly, hen I was often in that area through work, there was a small pub off Berkley Square Mayfair, that was far cheaper for a pint of decent ale then my then local in a village in olde Essex!

Reason # 10,003 Why I Like France:

On French Péages (Toll Roads) and even Autoroutes (Free MWays), there are Faires (roadside stops) which have filling stations, pretty regularly. These places also have showers as well as loos and at least some fresh food; such as Ham Baguettes (large chunk of decent French stick, well buttered and filled with decent ham slices); coffee from the machines is fresh brewed and good.

The Restops, have two restaurants: the cheap end for truck drivers and reps etc. Good cheap food and really good coffee. The more upmarket restaurants are even better; three course typical French lunch if you are hungry and have more time. Not expensive.

The stale awful crap British Motorway Services offer as "Food", which has been sitting mouldering for hours in a bain marie should either be condemned or used for piling the motorways themselves.

French faires without services are clean, have loos, picnic tables, drinking water, water for topping off screen washers rads etc and are numerous: as are emergency telephones etc.

On Autoroutes (Free) remember.

Mrs P and I now take our own food and we have stainless steel thermos flasks when travelling in Britain: on the basis we (i) Don't want to contract Salmonella, Botulism, Enteritis D; and (ii) we enjoy eating good food not heavily processed grease and additive laden crap.(iii) And since I turned both my Amex cards in when the cost rose, venally!

:lol:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Stupid people pay stupid prices...people who have more money than they need pay stupid prices....if you don't want to pay rip off prices plan ahead... ;)

skd187477sdc.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=8A33AE939F2E01FF4D764D9AC23DCA46AFB4A25FFA9F1440CEEDB17041B2873FEC7C5022FB410D56

Exactly. If your doing a long trip pack a flask, sandwiches, water and maybe some crisps and fill up the car. As per Harry they are cheap if you need a dump or pi ss.

With modern sat navs there is no excuse not to pull off and find a supermarket.

HOLA4420

Exactly. If your doing a long trip pack a flask, sandwiches, water and maybe some crisps and fill up the car. As per Harry they are cheap if you need a dump or pi ss.

With modern sat navs there is no excuse not to pull off and find a supermarket.

These places are not there for holiday makers etc; they are there for business travellers; stressed business travellers who have expense accounts and don't have time to make a packed lunch!

HOLA4421

Not only are the sandwiches overpriced, but bread should not be stored in the refrigerator because it quickly becomes dry and rubbery- as I am sure others will have noticed- so by buying at a MSA you are paying far more for an inferior product to that which you could make at home.

When I drove a truck, I had a small fridge in which I kept ham, cheese, salads etc and I would just make up a sandwich on my breadboard and I costed out a ham, cheese and salad sandwich using good quality ingredients at around 60p. A can of Coke from the fridge would work out at 25p so it would cost me 85p for something that would cost around £4.50 from the shop.

For a hot meal, you can get a better one from Morrison's than you can from the MSA at less than half the price so it's worth putting the Morrisons POI into your satnav if you use motorways regularly.

It is worth noting though that you can get a shower for free at virtually every MSA, although they are predominantly provided for truck drivers there is no restriction on human beings using them. ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Top Tips,

M25 Junction 22 London Coloney, about 2 mins, there's a massive Sainsburys with a petrol garage, far cheaper than South Mimms and they have Loos too.

M5 Junction 21 Weston Super Mare, Morrisons, Ditto above cheaper than Sedgemoor Services.

Anyone got any tips for the M4 say between Reading and Bath ?

HOLA4424

What I miss are the good old A road lorry driver's "Caffs"

When racing we would hit one of these when the dew was around and fill up on a proper breakfast with great doorsteps of bread and butter and a half-pint china mug of tea thick enough to curl your hair!

Braced you up for the day for peanuts.

HOLA4425

Top Tips,

M25 Junction 22 London Coloney, about 2 mins, there's a massive Sainsburys with a petrol garage, far cheaper than South Mimms and they have Loos too.

M5 Junction 21 Weston Super Mare, Morrisons, Ditto above cheaper than Sedgemoor Services.

Anyone got any tips for the M4 say between Reading and Bath ?

yep and the petrol is usually the best price for miles. ;)

Archived