House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Hard Wired Smoke Alarms

There's a new law being discussed at the moment due it's second reading in April I think.

Rented properties to have a hard wired smoke alarm installed.

Will cost a few quid... Heaven help all those accidental landlords just scraping by...

There's a new law being discussed at the moment due it's second reading in April I think.

Will cost a few quid... Heaven help all those accidental landlords just scraping by...

Why would landlords do this? After all, it is the law that you have to declare all of your income to the taxman, too.

Why would landlords do this? After all, it is the law that you have to declare all of your income to the taxman, too.

I work occasionally for a distressed landlord 50 houses and not one smoke or carbon monoxide alarm in any ,let alone hard wired.he asked me to price them up a few months ago told him he just said' f um' not paying that :lol:

Edited by papag

Weirdly, I find myself on the LLs' side here. If there is no law compelling owner occupiers to install full-scale fire alarm systems, why should there be one compelling LLs to do so? I thought that the basic principle of the AST system is that for the duration of your contract, the property becomes in effect your home. That presumably means that you are free to install as many or as few safety systems in it as you like.

I agree that the LL should be required to ensure that any infrastructure in the property and rented to the tenant along with it is safe to use. For example, the woman in Cornwall who was electrocuted in her bath because the electric water heater above it wasn't earthed is certainly a case in point where the LL should have had the book thrown at him, because he rented equipment to the tenant, whose normal and competent use of it resulted in her death. But if you start to say that the LL has to install safety-related equipment whereas an owner-occupier does not, I can't see the consistency in that.

I would have thought battery operated smoke alarms would be preferable.

What happens in the event of electrical failure?

I lived in a set of flats that had a common hard wired smoke alarm system. They had a battery backup, and when there was a power failure - you guessed it, the default was to set the fire alarm off for all 24 flats. Since sometimes the power goes off for maintenance reasons in the middle of the night this could be quite entertaininng seeing who the neighbours were sh*gging!

I lived in a set of flats that had a common hard wired smoke alarm system. They had a battery backup, and when there was a power failure - you guessed it, the default was to set the fire alarm off for all 24 flats. Since sometimes the power goes off for maintenance reasons in the middle of the night this could be quite entertaininng seeing who the neighbours were sh*gging!

LOL.

Seriously though, hard-wired smoke alarms don't really make sense.

Fire brigade bloke on the telly once said that every time they check one, Mum has removed the 9v battery to put in one of the kids' toys.

The description 'hard wired' is misleading.

What is meant is that all smoke detectors in the property (minimum one per floor, preferably one per occupiable room) must be wired together, so that if one detector is triggered, all the alarms sound.

It's not supposed to mean that the alarms are mains powered only - although a mains power supply with backup battery is preferable, as it means the alarm continues to function if the battery is removed.

Edited by ChumpusRex

Weirdly, I find myself on the LLs' side here. If there is no law compelling owner occupiers to install full-scale fire alarm systems, why should there be one compelling LLs to do so?

Okay, it's a view. But to avoid accusations of double standards please choose one of the following:

A . I am happy to let restaurants operate w/o environmental health checks, or;

B. I am happy to have environmental health root around my kitchen and close it down in the event of my failure to comply with catering hygiene standards..

Yet another waste of time law.

If it's that important it should have been included in the new Building Regs that came out 3 months ago.

How many rented properties in the UK? Millions. If every one had to have additional electrical wiring done, how many of those would be done badly on the cheap? What's one of the more common reasons for property fires? Yup, badly done wiring.

Weirdly, I find myself on the LLs' side here. If there is no law compelling owner occupiers to install full-scale fire alarm systems, why should there be one compelling LLs to do so? I thought that the basic principle of the AST system is that for the duration of your contract, the property becomes in effect your home. That presumably means that you are free to install as many or as few safety systems in it as you like.

I agree that the LL should be required to ensure that any infrastructure in the property and rented to the tenant along with it is safe to use. For example, the woman in Cornwall who was electrocuted in her bath because the electric water heater above it wasn't earthed is certainly a case in point where the LL should have had the book thrown at him, because he rented equipment to the tenant, whose normal and competent use of it resulted in her death. But if you start to say that the LL has to install safety-related equipment whereas an owner-occupier does not, I can't see the consistency in that.

I agree, renters are grown-ups too.

Actually, I'd rather not have a hard wired smoke alarm unless it had an off switch (which it wouldn't). At least with a battery one you can unplug the damn thing when it goes off while you're frying a steak.

Fire brigade bloke on the telly once said that every time they check one, Mum has removed the 9v battery to put in one of the kids' toys.

thereby invalidating the landlord's buildings insurance, quite possibly??

Yet another waste of time law.

If it's that important it should have been included in the new Building Regs that came out 3 months ago.

How many rented properties in the UK? Millions. If every one had to have additional electrical wiring done, how many of those would be done badly on the cheap? What's one of the more common reasons for property fires? Yup, badly done wiring.

part p now though...

But if you start to say that the LL has to install safety-related equipment whereas an owner-occupier does not, I can't see the consistency in that.

Well, on the other hand, HMO's and B&B's have to provide smoke alarms to building regs standards so why should one business that offers lodging differ to another?

That said, I will sit firmly on the fence as I always fit my own, additional, smoke alarms as my safety is and will always be my business :)

Actually, I'd rather not have a hard wired smoke alarm unless it had an off switch (which it wouldn't). At least with a battery one you can unplug the damn thing when it goes off while you're frying a steak.

Can't afford steak - trying to save for a deposit...

Because the tennant only occupies the property on an insecure and potentially short term basis it's surely more reasonable to expect the burden of installing adequate safety precaustions to fall on the landlord. At the moment there's the crazy situation that if the tennant installed a smoke detector and then removed it when they left they could be charged to have the screwholes in the ceiling plugged!

A landlord should be heavily fined if they don't have smoke alarms. Only a fool would live in a house without a smoke alarm. Here in Washington State it's illegal to rewire an old house without hardwiring new smoke alarms. It's like having a car without decent brakes. I've got hard-wired smoke alarms in my home. If the power goes off they all still function via battery. The batteries still bleep, like the old autonomous units, when they are getting low. It is annoying when all 7 of mine go off but it's better than the alternative. If you burn your food so badly that you set them off I suggest you get an extractor hood or take cookery lessons. GET THEM FITTED.

Edited by Xurbia

Because the tennant only occupies the property on an insecure and potentially short term basis it's surely more reasonable to expect the burden of installing adequate safety precaustions to fall on the landlord.

But this is not an issue of requiring a LL to fit 'adequate' safety systems. The issue here is why force a LL letting a normal dwelling, to install a far more complex, expensive and difficult to maintain safety system than is considered appropriate for an owner occupied home.

The reasoning for a B&B or HMO is clear - these are filled with separate people who may not have some form of relationship, as would a family or small group of tenants. As a result, it is not expected that they know the whereabouts or be directly responsible for the wellbeibg of the other occupants.

But this is not an issue of requiring a LL to fit 'adequate' safety systems. The issue here is why force a LL letting a normal dwelling, to install a far more complex, expensive and difficult to maintain safety system than is considered appropriate for an owner occupied home.

It's in the building regs since the 90s apparently...

If it becomes law and landlords have to do it - will it be good for a HPC?

My landlord (HA) fitted hardwired smoke detectors and a carbon monoxide detector in my flat and the flat above last year. 4 in total. Lounge, bedroom, my hallway and the kitchen. Bizarrely, they didn't install one in the communal hallway?

If you burn your food so badly that you set them off I suggest you get an extractor hood or take cookery lessons. GET THEM FITTED.

:rolleyes:

The only way to cook a decent steak is to fry it in a really hot pan, that means lots of smoke ;).

:rolleyes:

The only way to cook a decent steak is to fry it in a really hot pan, that means lots of smoke ;).

I eat sirloin steak twice a week because it's so cheap here. I cut it into chunks and grill it with mushrooms and some onions. Tastes good.