House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Nice Coffee For Espresso Machines

i bought an espresso machine a few months back & I've tried a few different coffees (pre ground and fresh beans) but nothing comes even close to this stuff;

41opoLNWXXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's the only stuff which seems to work properly in an espresso machine - all the other stuff I've tried, the water just shoots through it leaving a weak 'dirty water' ( :o ) instead of the dark black tarry rocket fuel which sets up my day.

Any other recommendations?

i bought an espresso machine a few months back & I've tried a few different coffees (pre ground and fresh beans) but nothing comes even close to this stuff;

41opoLNWXXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's the only stuff which seems to work properly in an espresso machine - all the other stuff I've tried, the water just shoots through it leaving a weak 'dirty water' ( :o ) instead of the dark black tarry rocket fuel which sets up my day.

where do you buy it and how much is it

where do you buy it and how much is it

Amazon £11.33 for 2 x 250g tins.

not cheap but i only need a double-shot flat white each morning as opposed to 4 cups of minging instant

Amazon £11.33 for 2 x 250g tins.

not cheap but i only need a double-shot flat white each morning as opposed to 4 cups of minging instant

does it make a good espresso with a nice crema?

What sort of machine do you have?

Is expresso coffee just much more finely ground than filter? Or is it the other way round?

beans, grinder. experiment.

i meant a short black cofee no milk in one of those teeny cups

does it make a good espresso with a nice crema?

Yep, i actually first started appreciating espresso coffee in NZ - they've got it down to a fine art! I see Costa and starbucks have started doing flat whites

What sort of machine do you have?

nothing flashy, not sure what make it is but it does the trick

No - I've tried loads and Illy's the best. Worth paying the extra or buying a load when they're on a discount in the supermarket. Really excellent coffee.

I thought Lavazza did a ok espresso too.

We used to get Lavazza at costco.. now switched to LIDL "Bellarom Caffe Espresso"

100% Arabica

Espresso ground (obviously)

99% as good as Lavazza

About £1.39 per 200g tin.

I make it in a tin-pot Italian style percolator every morning for my drive to work. Nothing better.

We used to get Lavazza at costco.. now switched to LIDL "Bellarom Caffe Espresso"

100% Arabica

99% as good as Lavazza

About £1.39 per 200g tin.

I make it in a tin-pot Italian style percolator every morning for my drive to work. Nothing better.

There's my preferred Illy/lavazza purchases sidelined then.

100% Arabica

99% as good as Lavazza

About £1.39 £1.89 per 200g tin.

For some reason I don't seem to have an option to go back and edit.. so here's replying to my own post to make a quick amendment..

Checked today.. it's now £1.89 not £1.39.. ain't inflation a *****!

Quarta_Caffe.jpg

Is ok but I agree Illy is the best I've found.

I'm using a Nespresso machine at the minute which gives an excellent expresso in about 5 seconds flat. Rotate capsule and repeat. The only problem being the price, thinks its about 30-40p per capsule.

Is expresso coffee just much more finely ground than filter? Or is it the other way round?

Other way round - up to a point. But espresso wants to be finer-ground than most other methods, like percolator or cafetiere. As well as strong, rich, dark, delicious.

Interesting. I'll have to give it a try!

I've tried many supermarket (and a few more interesting) types with varying success - good, bad, indifferent. The best I've had from Morrisons certainly did work well, but I couldn't tell you the name unless I saw it in front of me on the shelf!

Passed through the gut first?

...so you have tried it then. ;)

The best way to buy coffee is from a small independent retailer, they can mix it to your preference, light or dark, either buy as beans and grind it yourself at home or ground specifically to the type of coffee machine or way of making it you prefer...coffee freezes well and can be used straight from the freezer.

I like mine strong and dark...no milk or sugar....I use something like this to make mine:

NewBrikka.jpg

You can make it up and add a dash of milk or add warmed whole milk depending. ;)

Douwe Egberts Pure Gold Medium Roast instant is perfectly acceptable I'm drinking now :)

I find Douwe Egberts quite acceptable too. BTW is he that ugly geezer what used to manage The Palace?